The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   What do you think? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=10262)

StaceyVX 04-23-2003 10:23 PM

What do you think?

Okay, so I just bought a SVX last Saturday and the following day found some problems with it. I took it to a mechanic today. They drove it and put it on a lift. If you didn't read my other post, I had said there was a metal scraping/rattling sound that occurs anywhere from 10-30 miles an hour...Goes away at faster speeds. He said that I need a new sway bar and he believes that is making the noise...What do you guys think?

SVXRide 04-23-2003 10:31 PM

try another mechanic....

sway bar = solid piece of steel
worst case would be bushings that need replacement, but my money is still on the shield behind the front rotors rubbing against the rotor(s)

Ron Mummert 04-23-2003 10:38 PM

If he installs the sway bar & the noise persists, will he agree to remove it & refund your money?
Ron (it's YOUR money).

Oooooo! Looky there - Post number 2000.
Ron (humbly bowing & throwing air kisses to all the "little people" who helped make this landmark possible).

SVXRide 04-23-2003 10:48 PM

wow

2000 posts and still running strong....congrats

svxistentialist 04-24-2003 04:54 AM

Ron, I already congratted you elsewhere on your spaced out oddity.:D

Stacy, sway bar bushes will make a rattle or rumble, not a scraping sound. If he has looked and seen a problem, you may need two bushes at $6 a piece. Why is he saying you need a new sway bar?? Very odd, he is taking you for a chump because you are amember of the fairer sex.

Get another mechanic to check it.

Joe

Ron Mummert 04-24-2003 08:42 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by svxistentialist
[B]Ron, I already congratted you elsewhere on your spaced out oddity.:D

And look at YOU, Joe. 1700!! Not bad for a guy from a little green island.

Congrats yerself!

Ron.

StaceyVX 04-24-2003 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by svxistentialist

Stacy, sway bar bushes will make a rattle or rumble, not a scraping sound. If he has looked and seen a problem, you may need two bushes at $6 a piece. Why is he saying you need a new sway bar?? Very odd, he is taking you for a chump because you are amember of the fairer sex.

Get another mechanic to check it.

Joe

Ya know, I've always trusted him before...My mom is the one who referred me to him. I always took my Saturn there. I watched them do it and pull on something in the front, so I don't know if they are just making it up...He explained the sway bar to me by saying that it's like a ball that goes into a socket and that the ball is out making the noise...It's kinda weird b/c there is a squeaking in the back as well and he said it could be the cause of that too, but he wants to get one thing done at a time and this should come first. Uhm, then he said he would order it and that I should call him Friday or Monday. I guess he just assumed I would get it fixed there because I always do...How do I know another mechanic won't rip me off because of the gender?

Earthworm 04-24-2003 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by StaceyVX
He explained the sway bar to me by saying that it's like a ball that goes into a socket and that the ball is out making the noise...It's kinda weird b/c there is a squeaking in the back as well and he said it could be the cause of that too, but he wants to get one thing done at a time and this should come first.
He's probably referring to the sway bar link then. Mine rattled when I first got it.

Check out part #14 HERE for a visual description.

StaceyVX 04-24-2003 08:37 PM

Why can't any of you guys live near me?! This sucks. :( I appreciate all of your help, though.

Tim 04-24-2003 08:51 PM

I live an hour away, but i dont know much :)

svxistentialist 04-25-2003 05:00 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ron Mummert
[B]
Quote:

And look at YOU, Joe. 1700!! Not bad for a guy from a little green island.

Congrats yerself!

Ron.

Thanks Ron,

For the minute I am the only member in the 1700s. However, there is a gaggle of garrulous ones breathing heavy up my tail pipe.

little green men rule, Yay!!

Joe:D

Earthworm 04-25-2003 02:50 PM

Quote:

For the minute I am the only member in the 1700s. However, there is a gaggle of garrulous ones breathing heavy up my tail pipe.
Hehe, watch your back! :D :D