The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   SVX in NHRA divisional racing event again (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=40576)

Chris 09-03-2007 03:58 AM

SVX in NHRA divisional racing event again

Well, to some of you this news might come as a surprise. For others, it was expected. Honestly, for me, I am shocked (and I am the driver)!

As most of you know, I am the only one in the United States that races a Subaru SVX in NHRA points events. Now dont get me wrong, I know some of you out there also race their SVX's at NHRA tracks, and I applaud you. In 2004, I ran the season in a pro-points series called NHRA Gold Cup. When the season comes to a close, the top 5 racer from every track will run off in their own prospective divisions for a divisional championship. There are 7 divisions in the US and the winners in each of their events go to Pomona, California for the National Finals. In 2004, I competed and took 2nd place in our local top 5 and competed in Mission, Canada at the divisional finals. I did OK for a rookie in my first year running such events and I represented our beloved SVX well. My representation was recognized enough to be the determining factor in getting PWR to make our after market radiators for us.

I took a few years off from pro-points NHRA racing to get a second SVX on the road so that my first one that was starting to show its age and miles could be retired to race car status and development. This work started part way into the 2007 season. I have continued to race in a "recreational" fashion to maintain my reaction time skills in local events. The overall goal was to have fun and continue the process of refining the car and return in a more pro-points state in 2008.

Division 6 officially sanctioned one of the classes I ran as a hobby for 2007 without my knowledge until late into the game. My Import racing this year has been quite fruitful. So far this year, there has been 5 Import points events. I have missed one race all together and I have THREE 1st place wins (one being the big Import Summer Jam).

After that event, I was informed about Division taking the top 2 imports from every track to the division finals, this year in Woodburn, Oregon. After taking my third 1st place finish on Friday, I set my place in stone for one of the slots to compete. The person I beat in the final locally is the current points leader with an 18 point lead. The main difference here is that he has made all of the events and I totally missed a day not knowing the importance at that time. Regardless of that:

I am taking a Subaru SVX to NHRA Division 6 finals for the second time in 4 years!!!

My logistics will be hellish as I only have a few days to prepare. My tires will not pass safety. I spent my savings account on a replacement windshield as to pass tech. I am going to attempt to purchase 2 tires and my sister has stepped up to sponsor the other 2 on credit. I don't have permission at this time to name another member here, but if/when I do, he is tentatively providing us with a camper to stay in at the track (hotel costs can be a killer and its much harder to find pet friendly ones). I will have a pair of what I consider an excellent mascot for the car with me. As I noted to people at Earls NW Seafood meet, what better to represent a car designed by Italdesign than Italian Greyhounds. They are my good luck cheer team. :D

So, for those that are interested, I will be headed to the track in Woodburn this Thursday the 6th. I am hoping to arrange the logistics to get the car towed there on my fathers flatbed trailer, but the scheduling of the tow vehicle in question is still up in the air. Worse case, I put blankets all over the floor boards to insulate from heat and noise and just drive it. I dont know what individual crew entry fees are, I do know that its $25 for Fri-Sun or $20 for Sat-Sun.

There is a lot of un-budgeted expenses I am having to deal with to compete and I am well aware that its my cost to play. I maintain a web site for my sponsors, but it has not been updated since I did not do any sponsored racing for a while. I am going to update it later today (Monday) and prepare it for updates from the event. If anyone is interested, I will have updates posted there as soon as they happen. If I have broadband access at the track, photos will be included. If not, I will call in my updates to Jim and he will post them in text form until the end of the day when I can email photos. If anyone is interested in assisting in anyway, please PM me. I assure you that a spot of gratitude will be designated to any/all that have assisted in this form.

So, until the date comes closer, I pledge to you all, that I will give my best shot to represent the SVX and our community as a car that still has class, spunk, and style. Would it not be great to put the SVX into the winners circle at this event and regain some free national attention?:D

Wish me luck and I hope to all feel your virtual push to the finish line and beyond..... The world has not seen enough of this car yet!!

SilverSpear 09-03-2007 04:11 AM

First of all, I applaud you Chris for your spirit and commitment to our beloved car. I dunno much about NHRA except that it is one of the most important racing event in the US...

I also dunno the rules and regulations behind it, if you can tune up ur car or if it should remain stock (mechanically wise)... but I say we should promote our forum through your car and most importantly sponsor you, especially that you are the founder of the SWN.

I am willing to back you my friend, let us see what the rest of the members have to say about this :)

94SubieSVX 09-03-2007 08:10 AM

Will it be on TV??

SVXRide 09-03-2007 12:42 PM

Chris,
Best of luck!! I'm guessing your class is still all about reaction time and consistency from run to run, right? I take it you'll be in the running as long as your times vary by a tenth or less?
-Bill

Chris 09-03-2007 01:52 PM

You are correct, its all about consistency. And if my runs are more than a few hundredths off, something is broke or wrong and I start to panic.

I am unsure about television coverage. I know there will be write ups in National Dragster magazine along with some others. I am sure there will be some local coverage as well. I will keep you all posted.

Bailey 09-03-2007 02:18 PM

Can you set up a paypal link so those who want to contribute financially to your effort can do so?

ensteele 09-03-2007 02:26 PM

That would be a good idea (paypal address if different) and please give us a link to the sponsors page. Good luck. :)

RSVX 09-03-2007 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ensteele (Post 491005)
That would be a good idea (paypal address if different) and please give us a link to the sponsors page. Good luck. :)

Link to sponsor page... (its in his signature :lol:)

http://www.c654.com/

immortal_suby 09-03-2007 06:54 PM

Good Luck! Post up a paypal addy and I'm sure you'll be surprised at what comes in :)

ensteele 09-03-2007 11:07 PM

I saw that one, but the last update was in March, so I thought there was another one. :confused::o:)

Chris 09-04-2007 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ensteele (Post 491071)
I saw that one, but the last update was in March, so I thought there was another one. :confused::o:)

I was going to attempt to update the site tonight, but I spent all my time working on photopost (locker replacement system). The site was not updated this year cause I did not "think" I was running anything that was divisional tracked in the way of points. Since I did not plan to race professionally this year, I did not sent out sponsorship packets to my normal supporters. Thusly, the site sat in a dormant state for 2007. I will get the updates to it tomorrow when I can get the database to accept new tables easier from work.... don't ask, long story.

So, look for updates on Tuesday. Thanks for all the support guys (and gals).

ensteele 09-04-2007 06:53 PM

Just get us the paypal address you want us to use to donate to this cause. :)

TomsSVX 09-04-2007 07:04 PM

yeah really... wouldn't mind a name on the back of the car... How much does a sticker cost on that BEast of an SVX:p:D... Good luck and let me know where to send teh Cash!!

Tom (supporting fellow drag racers)

shotgunslade 09-04-2007 07:05 PM

I'm in for some support as soon as you publish a Paypal address.:)

Chris 09-05-2007 12:39 AM

Paypal address

Your support is overwhelming. I only hope I can live up to expectations placed before me.

I have created a separate personal account away from the finances of the SVXWN. The address is:

http://www.svxwn.com/~ctownsend/images/paypal.chris.gif

Note:
Still working to get the sponsor website backup. Hopefully will happen tomorrow.