The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   hear it over and over...5spd/6spd? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=48589)

VICSVX 01-12-2009 04:33 AM

hear it over and over...5spd/6spd?

hey, so my tranny finally went out in my 94...so the excuse to get a manny is perfect...however, she's a fwd and the diff is trashed :lol:

im not sure on what tranny to look at 5spd/6spd from a impreza or legacy?

also, i want to make it AWD...so i need parts list on what to get and how much i can expect that to cost:confused:

so im goin from FWD auto to AWD manny....umm basiscally new running gear except for the 3.3

need as much info ASAP due to she my only car lol

thannks guys

JaySVX 01-12-2009 06:19 AM

Re: hear it over and over...5spd/6spd?

Basically you need an awd trans, driveshaft, rear subframe, rear diff, rear axels to convert to awd. I may be missing something minor but that's the most of it. As far as trans goes, it depends on what you want. Personally I like the 03/04 wrx 5speed transmissions, they're reliable, plenty strong for a stock motor or even with quite a few upgrades, and relatively inexpensive. The 6speed out of the sti is just to expensive for my taste, and not necessary unless you're pulling serious power.

SubaruSVXCrazy 01-12-2009 02:00 PM

I know you want an AWD set up, but wouldn't it be much easier to find a FWD tranny out of an impreza or legacy. Saving a lot of work (Not saying it easy, just easier). I mean you have a rarer SVX with FWD, why not keep it special. I've yet to hear a SVX FWD 5 speed. I think it would be pretty original. It would make your SVX different from the rest. But its up to you, That's just me. :D

TomsSVX 01-12-2009 03:22 PM

5mt all the way. Parts list...

-trans
-clutch kit
-flywheel
-trans mount
-AWD rear subframe from an SVX
-Rear diff that matches the trans and a stock SVX rear to donate the LSD
-Rear axles
-All We'll Drive 5mt kit
-MT starter
-Master and slave cylinders w/ piping

Tom

VICSVX 01-12-2009 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SubaruSVXCrazy (Post 581840)
I know you want an AWD set up, but wouldn't it be much easier to find a FWD tranny out of an impreza or legacy. Saving a lot of work (Not saying it easy, just easier). I mean you have a rarer SVX with FWD, why not keep it special. I've yet to hear a SVX FWD 5 speed. I think it would be pretty original. It would make your SVX different from the rest. But its up to you, That's just me. :D

i see what you're saying and i thought about it....still am due to the money issue.

right now im just looking really hard at trannies and all.

thnx for your opinion...i'll keep it in mind:D

VICSVX 01-12-2009 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomsSVX (Post 581861)
5mt all the way. Parts list...

-trans
-clutch kit
-flywheel
-trans mount
-AWD rear subframe from an SVX
-Rear diff that matches the trans and a stock SVX rear to donate the LSD
-Rear axles
-All We'll Drive 5mt kit
-MT starter
-Master and slave cylinders w/ piping

Tom

yup, thats what i keep hearing 5MT...so thats a given....but now as SubaruSVXCrazy had stated....FWD w/5MT or go AWD? it would be cheaper and easier, but how well would 5spd FWD drive?

TomsSVX 01-12-2009 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VICSVX (Post 581881)
yup, thats what i keep hearing 5MT...so thats a given....but now as SubaruSVXCrazy had stated....FWD w/5MT or go AWD? it would be cheaper and easier, but how well would 5spd FWD drive?

I would imagine a little better than the auto... it would still be wheel spin city even in normal driving I would think

Tom