The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Not Exactly SVX (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   WAY off topic (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=26441)

svxxx26 05-26-2005 05:43 PM

WAY off topic

I know there are some cyclists/mountain bikers here - any clue what's going on when you start to hear a click or knock from the area of the bottom bracket? Has to be that because it matches each pedal stroke.
Bad bearings? It has a little over 2000 miles on it.

SVXer95 05-26-2005 06:56 PM

I haven't ridden my bike in a long time, but I have had this problem before. I actually cracked the bottom bracket and it was clicking every time I cranked. I would venture a guess that you need a new bottom bracket.

How do your cranks look? Are they tight? I once stripped the bolt out of the crank. It made a similar sound as the bottom bracket.

Wow, I sure have broken my bike a lot....

Mr. Pockets 05-26-2005 07:40 PM

It's funny that you should post this - I literally just finished tuning up a friend's StumpJumper. Learning that I can still tune a bike to ride like that put a smile on my face. :)

Sounds like a bad bottom bracket to me. What kind of bike is this? Bottom brackets rarely match the level of components you see on the rest of the bike. If you ride a lot, I'd recommend investing in a really nice replacement. High-end Shimano, like LX or XT. Of course these days the bottom bracket spindles are splined. If you bike is older with the squared spindles, you might have a little difficulty finding the right bottom bracket - especially in the right length.

I know the bike only has 2,000 miles on it, but all it takes is one good submersion to compromise the seals or lots of dust to grind them away.

UberRoo 05-27-2005 03:14 AM

You SVX people are so fussy about weird noises. Leaky exhaust, whining differentials, grinding transfer clutches, ticking lifters, clunking windows, and now you're bringing bicycles into it. The only noise my SVX makes that drives me nuts is the silly door chime. *Sigh* It's time for official SVX ear plugs.

Okay, okay. :) Umm, sometimes my derailer gets bent and bumps the crank.

mikecg 05-27-2005 05:24 AM

Bad bearings is correct I had a Royce Union bike that did that the first summer I had it. Lucky for me it was under warranty, and they gave me a new bike.

thundering02 05-27-2005 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UberRoo
You SVX people are so fussy about weird noises. Leaky exhaust, whining differentials, grinding transfer clutches, ticking lifters, clunking windows, and now you're bringing bicycles into it. The only noise my SVX makes that drives me nuts is the silly door chime. *Sigh* It's time for official SVX ear plugs.

Door chime on any car for that matter just my random thought... the chain?

rufus 05-27-2005 08:30 AM

I will second (or third) the bad bottom bracket bearing diagnosis. I got about 4500 miles out of an XT bottom bracket on my touring bike before it started clicking, so 2000 on a hard-ridden mountain bike may not be unusual.

Pop the cranks off and spin the spindles with your fingers; if you feel any uneven resistance it is almost certainly bad bearings. Spinning the cranks with the chain off may work too, but it will be more obvious with them off.

It is really fun to say "pop the cranks off and spin the spindles".

svxxx26 05-27-2005 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UberRoo

:D :D :D

Right you are. I constantly obsess with any noise that seems out of place in the car or bike, actively seeking it out each time I drive/ride. Fitting that my favorite car turns out to be an SVX.... :rolleyes:

I took my bike (Trek 7000, vintage 1998) to the bike shop, expressed my concerns about the possibility of bearing troubles. They ended up tightening the crank and pedals. I took it for a short ride, applying what should have been more than enough load to duplicate the noise and it was nice and quiet. So...not really sure yet til I get it back out on the trails.