The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Slippingggggggggggggggg (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=20546)

Bxsvx 08-09-2004 03:46 PM

Slippingggggggggggggggg

ok, well my tranny barely has a 3rd gear. couple of months ago, I changed the fluids, and the pan filter. The car right now shifts fine from 1-2, then 2-3 it redlines. While I gently press the gas it slips so when I stomp on it, the power light comes on then it catches. The dealer wants $180 dollars to test it($90 hr). He said on the phone it might be a seal, the piston isnt opening, etc. I suggested if it can be a solenoid, because at the light it doesnt move until I tap the gas and then it clunks then moves. But he said it would give a code which it isnt. What should I do? Does aamco, or lee miles have testing equipment equivalent to the dealers? The dealer also said they have to open the pan and test the pressures. How can I test the solenoids? or anything else of the transmission?

n00b on demand 08-09-2004 04:58 PM

Omar, i just left a message on your phone.....dont take it to subaru cuz they dont work on tranny's...prolly tell you to swap it. Theres a company called level 10 in jersey. I'll look them up and get back to you. Level 10 makes bullet proof tranny's.

Bxsvx 08-09-2004 05:56 PM

Thanks man. I know about level 10 but there so DAMN expensive!!!. I'm gonna call some shops and search if they can find the problem. How's the intake sound now?;)

Bxsvx 08-09-2004 05:58 PM

anyone recommend a tranny shop near nyc?

n00b on demand 08-09-2004 06:59 PM

yoo the intake sounds sooooooo good above 3,000 rpms...sounds beautiful :D . About the tranny...there is a tranny shop that i mentioned on saw mill river road. If you want tomorrow we can take a trip over there. Its right by my boys house. Just give me a call if you want to go.

n00b on demand 08-09-2004 09:30 PM

Ok the rest of u guys...how about a little help and advice ?! :D :D

Zeppelin 08-10-2004 10:05 AM

I would buy the solenoid pack from the Suby dealer first. They're about $150 if I remember correctly, and if it doesn't work you have a spare or you could sell it here. I'm about 85% sure that's what your problem is. They're pretty easy to get to too, you could do it yourself.

I'm sure somebody could post directions on how to do it if you wanted to give it a try.

Bxsvx 08-10-2004 10:42 AM

Thanks Zeppelin, i'm gonna try that, just worried about taking the valve body off, and parts shooting at me. But I bet our wonderful svx community wouldnt mind sharing some pages from the service manual.:D . So today I went to two tranny shops, cottmans and lee myles. They said its internal, duhh!, and that it would cost 410, to remove inspect put it back together. Parts are additional. I told them I would like to get the parts from the suby dealer because I can get it cheap, he said ,"nah you can't get it cheaper than me, I dont make money on parts" yea sure buddy, nice one. So now I have no 3rd or 4th gear, it sometimes catches, and my fluid is turning slightly brown, because of the slippage. Going to call the liberty subaru dealership to try to order the solenoid pack, anything else I should order while im up there?

SubaSteevo 08-10-2004 11:21 AM

Don't go to Cottman! Do a search for Cottman with my user name, and here the stories. Although it's been a lil over a year, and I have not had any major problems with the rebuild, their customer service is non-existant.

Zeppelin 08-10-2004 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Bxsvx
Thanks Zeppelin, i'm gonna try that, just worried about taking the valve body off, and parts shooting at me. But I bet our wonderful svx community wouldnt mind sharing some pages from the service manual.:D . So today I went to two tranny shops, cottmans and lee myles. They said its internal, duhh!, and that it would cost 410, to remove inspect put it back together. Parts are additional. I told them I would like to get the parts from the suby dealer because I can get it cheap, he said ,"nah you can't get it cheaper than me, I dont make money on parts" yea sure buddy, nice one. So now I have no 3rd or 4th gear, it sometimes catches, and my fluid is turning slightly brown, because of the slippage. Going to call the liberty subaru dealership to try to order the solenoid pack, anything else I should order while im up there?
I'm sure there's probably a gasket for the solenoid plate.. It wouldn't hurt to drop the tranny pan and clean the screen and replace the filter while you're under there. Replace the brown fluid with a nice synthetic.

Bxsvx 08-10-2004 04:04 PM

Yea Bugundy, the owner kept trying to push me towards a full rebuild ($1601). I told him what If I change the solenoid pack, "well more problems are gonna happen down the road". Thanks for the reply.

Zeppelin, I changed the filter, cleaned the pan,and changed the filter about 2 months ago, but im going to do it again. I want to clean that little screen, but how do I get to it? All I need now is some service manual pages for changing the solenoid pack and little screen. Anyone with the manual? :D

Zeppelin 08-10-2004 04:46 PM

You changed the fluid a few months ago and it's brown already? Time to get a cooler on there ASAP! Do you drive it hard?

I used to drive mine hard and after I put my 26000GVW cooler on there I put over 20k hard miles on it and the fluid was still like new.

Bxsvx 08-10-2004 04:53 PM

lol, no its turning a little, I mean a real little brown the last 2-3 days, because of the extensive slipping, its still almost pink, its like 5 percent brown now. Before a couple of days ago it was bright pink. I found the parts I needed but which one do I get, theres two soleniod controls

31939(1), or 31939 (2)
solenoids

31939(1), or 31939 (2)

Bxsvx 08-10-2004 05:14 PM

Ok, I just did the self diagnosis and there isnt any codes. Wouldnt there be a code or something if a solenoid or something was bad? I remember my dads mercury sable doing the same thing and they changed the solenoid pack. I'm stumped :confused:

oab_au 08-11-2004 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Bxsvx
Ok, I just did the self diagnosis and there isnt any codes. Wouldnt there be a code or something if a solenoid or something was bad? I remember my dads mercury sable doing the same thing and they changed the solenoid pack. I'm stumped :confused:
Hi Bxsvx, it sounds like the High clutch has slipped itself to death. It is applied in 3rd/4th. This is the part that is.most affected by the lack of cooler flow. I think you are looking at a rebuild.

Harvey. ;)