The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Tranny Cooler Installation Poll (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1209)

FlagstaffSVX 08-17-2001 02:57 AM

Tranny Cooler Installation Poll

This is just an opinion poll to find out how people have installed their tranny coolers on their SVXes. If there's any other way not listed, Aredub should edit my poll to make it right. (or at least more right :-))

ehyde111 08-17-2001 04:35 AM

Re: Tranny Cooler Installation Poll

Quote:

Originally posted by FlagstaffSVX
This is just an opinion poll to find out how people have installed their tranny coolers on their SVXes. If there's any other way not listed, Aredub should edit my poll to make it right. (or at least more right :-))
Hmmm, I don't think my install location is listed. Anyway, mine is installed by bypassing the original cooler (I didn't take the original one out because it is integrated with the radiator as far as I know).

LarryIII 08-17-2001 05:46 AM

I have a '97 LSi. I run Red Line synth. ATF (+ Mobil 1 in the engine). I do not have a cooler yet. I have purchased the filer kit from Subaru. It is sitting in the trunk not installed. I plan to buy the same cooler the Ron installed (B&M # ??????). When this cooler is installed with the filter; the original cooler in the radiator will be bypassed. Anyway, that's the plan.

Larry III

nvrmore100 08-17-2001 09:13 AM

How much is this filter kit? Also what am I hearing about a recall on them or something? Maybe I misread something along the way.

Ryan

1994SubaruSVX 08-17-2001 09:45 AM

i bypassed my original tranny cooler...

i did not see the logic in running them parallel or in a series. with 19,000 gvw i should have all the cooling power i need. :)

Mr. Pockets 08-17-2001 09:48 AM

I've had a B&M cooler sitting in the box since I bought it almost a year ago...crap, it was more than a year ago...

...anyway, I PLAN on installing it before AutoFest. We'll see about that, though - I try not to change things right before a long drive, so it'd have to happen early enough so I can road test it a little...

Oh, and I plan on bypassing the stock cooler entirely.

jscorse 08-17-2001 10:52 AM

Larry question

Do you really think the cooler is necessary in your '97? I thought we were all set. I really don't want the bother, but I value opinions.

- Jeff

KEVINL 08-17-2001 11:44 AM

What so great about REDLINE ATF? Whats wrong with MOBIL 1 Synthetic ATF?

svxxx26 08-17-2001 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Pockets
I've had a B&M cooler sitting in the box since I bought it almost a year ago...crap, it was more than a year ago...

...anyway, I PLAN on installing it before AutoFest. We'll see about that, though - I try not to change things right before a long drive, so it'd have to happen early enough so I can road test it a little...

Oh, and I plan on bypassing the stock cooler entirely.

Same plan I've been using! More than a year, sitting on the garage shelf . . . :rolleyes:

Other thoughts:

jscorse: if I had a '97 - I probably wouldn't mess with a cooler, since the factory cooler problem was supposedly "fixed". Actually, I would prefer to just replace the radiator in my '92 with an updated one - more expensive, but no fiddling with a cooler.

KEVINL: There's probably nothing at all wrong with the Mobil ATF, the Redline High Temp ATF claims to offer a greater level of protection against super-high temps. Since they're both relatively expensive, I'll go with the one I "think" will give the most protection.

ehyde111 08-17-2001 02:34 PM

cost of filter kit

Quote:

Originally posted by nvrmore100
How much is this filter kit? Also what am I hearing about a recall on them or something? Maybe I misread something along the way.

Ryan

Ryan,
The filter kit ran me about $12 bucks. I got mine form Cour D' Arlene (sorry about the spelling:( ) Subaru. I'm sure you can find the telephone number / website in the message archives somewhere on this site -- I can't find it right now.

I haven't heard about a recall, though. Maybe you're referring to the program subaru had out to try to get these filters to owners of early model SVX's. Not really sure, though.

nvrmore100 08-17-2001 02:47 PM

Re: cost of filter kit

Quote:

Originally posted by ehyde111
Ryan,
The filter kit ran me about $12 bucks. I got mine form Cour D' Arlene (sorry about the spelling:( ) Subaru. I'm sure you can find the telephone number / website in the message archives somewhere on this site -- I can't find it right now.

I haven't heard about a recall, though. Maybe you're referring to the program subaru had out to try to get these filters to owners of early model SVX's. Not really sure, though.

This is the section I read from Vykam...

....and paying full price for the filter kit instead of the "recall" price, I still only paid....

I didn't realize this was something that was going on. How does it install. Do you simply cut your tranny line, and put this in the middle...kind of like a fuel filter? What does it look like, so I don't go buy one and find out I already have one on mine.

Thanks,
Ryan

svxxx26 08-17-2001 05:52 PM

Re: Re: cost of filter kit

Quote:

Do you simply cut your tranny line, and put this in the middle...kind of like a fuel filter? What does it look like, so I don't go buy one and find out I already have one on mine.

Thanks,
Ryan

The answer is: YES.
It does look just like a fuel filter to me, and it is more or less installed like you describe.
If you have one, it is located down low on the frame rail, below the battery.

ehyde111 08-17-2001 05:53 PM

Re: Re: cost of filter kit

Quote:

I didn't realize this was something that was going on. How does it install. Do you simply cut your tranny line, and put this in the middle...kind of like a fuel filter? What does it look like, so I don't go buy one and find out I already have one on mine.

Thanks,
Ryan

Install, ???, I had the tranny shop do it. The instructions are in a TSB. Check the subaru links section of this site.

What does it look like -- a black fuel filter with two places to connect hoses to on the top and none on the bottom. If you open the hood, stand on the drivers side, look at the battery then down (nearer the engine), you'll see it there. Someone has a pic of theirs in their personal locker.

Aredubjay 08-17-2001 06:07 PM

Re: Re: Re: cost of filter kit

Quote:

Originally posted by ehyde111

Install, ???, I had the tranny shop do it. The instructions are in a TSB. Check the subaru links section of this site.

What does it look like -- a black fuel filter with two places to connect hoses to on the top and none on the bottom. If you open the hood, stand on the drivers side, look at the battery then down (nearer the engine), you'll see it there. Someone has a pic of theirs in their personal locker.

I have a picture of the location in my personal locker, under technical jpegs. Check it out.

Also, if I remember correctly, the filter was a "program" thing, not an official "recall" (kinda like Korea was a "conflict" not a "war").

The filter kit (Part #31099AA091) is $8.25 at subaruparts.com with 6.95 shipping. For a total of 15.20. It comes with bracket, clamps and hoses for installation.

vkykam 08-17-2001 09:36 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: cost of filter kit

Yeah, well, my mechanic didn't know, I didn't know at the time, and the a$$hole dealer didn't care to share that information as well.

The dealer that he ordered from, I had major problems with the parts department as well. Seems as though the whole department are all Cletus and his cousins.

So I paid I think $45-50CDN for it.

Such is life.

VK

Quote:

Originally posted by Aredubjay

I have a picture of the location in my personal locker, under technical jpegs. Check it out.

Also, if I remember correctly, the filter was a "program" thing, not an official "recall" (kinda like Korea was a "conflict" not a "war").

The filter kit (Part #31099AA091) is $8.25 at subaruparts.com with 6.95 shipping. For a total of 15.20. It comes with bracket, clamps and hoses for installation.