The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   SVX acting funny...help! (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=31270)

SVXyGirl 02-01-2006 07:00 PM

SVX acting funny...help!

My car was acting really funny this evening. When I started up the car all of the dash lights stayed on. It didn't have a problem running though. I drove it down the road to the gas station. When I turned it back on only a couple lights stayed on. The Battery, Steering, Stop Lamp, Brake, and something else (can't remember) would stay on. When I accellerated the lights would dim and then go off. When I used my blinker the lights would flash with the blinker. When I would brake the lights would get brighter and the ABS light would come on. Other than the lights acting funny, the car didn't have any problems. What do you think is going on? Could it be a bare wire? Or do I have bigger problems?

Thanks,
Rebecca

dwd1985 02-01-2006 07:10 PM

Alternator

It is very common that when the alternator is about to die that the system does not have the power to self check those systems (steering, battery, etc.) and therefore gives those warning lights. I think this sounds like an alternator problem, but wait for some other people to chime in.

rbalach 02-01-2006 10:08 PM

Yep alternator is going bad. I've been through this twice already !

But just in case, check the connections to the battery and the alternator first. Then start the car up and check the voltage across the battery. It should be reading around 14volts or more when the alternator is working properly.

SVXyGirl 02-02-2006 08:45 AM

I checked the voltage and it read 14v and when I ran everything: heat, radio, lights, blinkers, etc. it read 12.5v. I'm not sure what the heck is going on.

Earthworm 02-02-2006 10:50 AM

Get a voltmeter to plug into your lighter. It will tell you how well your charging system is operating.

oab_au 02-02-2006 03:15 PM

Bad ground.

Hi Rebecca, as you say it, It starts and runs ok, showing 14V. So it can't be the battery or alternator.

The lights flashing with the indicators, suggests that there is a bad ground connection on the dash panel some where. Causing the indicator lights to find a ground back through the other dash lights.

Has any work been done to the dash panel lately?

Harvey.;)

SVXyGirl 02-02-2006 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oab_au
Hi Rebecca, as you say it, It starts and runs ok, showing 14V. So it can't be the battery or alternator.

The lights flashing with the indicators, suggests that there is a bad ground connection on the dash panel some where. Causing the indicator lights to find a ground back through the other dash lights.

Has any work been done to the dash panel lately?

Harvey.;)

I don't know if any work has been done to the dash. I've only had the car about a year.

Thanks everyone.:)

SvXchica 02-02-2006 04:51 PM

check your belts and make sure they aren't tearing and about to break, or make sure that haven't broken yet. Maybe a short in the wires somewhere *shrugs* i just pretend i know things, i really don't. oh well. my 2 cents at least

madj80 02-02-2006 05:09 PM

Maybe check the wires going to your sun visors too :confused:

SVXyGirl 02-03-2006 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SvXchica
check your belts and make sure they aren't tearing and about to break, or make sure that haven't broken yet. Maybe a short in the wires somewhere *shrugs* i just pretend i know things, i really don't. oh well. my 2 cents at least

that was the first thing I checked. They were fine. I hooked up a code reader and it said that I need a new oxygen sensor, but that shouldn't effect the other stuff. My car hasn't done the light thing since Wednesday night...the only time that is has done that. So I guess I keep an eye and ear out incase anything else goes weird on it. lol

AvPPoW 02-03-2006 12:57 PM

tighten the hot wire on your alt, if it's loose this will occur

SomethingElse 02-06-2006 12:16 PM

Your alt. is putting out 14volts but how many amps is it putting out?. I was burned by that b4. may need to take it to sears or ntb and have them do an alt. load test...

rbalach 02-06-2006 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kulaid
Your alt. is putting out 14volts but how many amps is it putting out?. I was burned by that b4. may need to take it to sears or ntb and have them do an alt. load test...

Good point. Actually if you can get the alternator out of the car yourself, then take it to a NAPA / Autozone / parts store of your choice. They usually have a tester there and its free of charge !

dannmarr 02-07-2006 05:32 AM

I would have it checked while it's in the car. Believe me, when I had problems with my alt, it checked out fine off the car but bad when it was in the car.