The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Discussion about opinions in For Sale threads... (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39746)

ensteele 07-11-2007 02:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by solarsvx
enstele you have a PM

sorry for stating our Opinions and thanks for the unneccasary lashings
james
join date 2002

Well, I didn't mean it to come across so strong, but here is the thread that was posted before. I guess the vultures that are parting all of the good and running cars right now have me a little upset about the parting suggestion. I am not trying to keep people from expressing their opinions, but we have had many that want to beat the prices down and we are not going to allow that any more. I hope you understand.

solarsvx 07-11-2007 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ensteele
Well, I didn't mean it to come across so strong, but here is the thread that was posted before. I guess the vultures that are parting all of the good and running cars right now have me a little upset about the parting suggestion. I am not trying to keep people from expressing their opinions, but we have had many that want to beat the prices down and we are not going to allow that any more. I hope you understand.

i understand, and apoligize for posting out of hand,

i was in the same exact boat with my wrx built to the hilt, i was asking 24,000$ as is running 26 psi with a verry large turbo//utec//methanol//fmic//850cc injectors// etc etc etc it was even in a magazine

after 3 months of trying to sell it like this the only thing i had was 17 year old kids wishing they could buy it, or people who would only offer kbb price of 17,000 for it because the bank would not finance over that the rest he would have to come up cash with,

i ended up selling all the parts for abought 7,000 and selling the car for 16,500 and getting close to my original modified asking price,

i feel tom is in the exact same boat

i tried verry hard to sell it as is, i had spent abought $300 in car ad"s "they get pricey" after while, and i realy had to get out from underneith it,

in toms case the person would have to take out a personal loan for it due to its age,, i had to do the same on my svx considering it was such a rare find and i didnt exactly have 9,000 laying around for it

lhopp77 07-11-2007 08:21 AM

Opinions???

Man, am I in trouble as I think many in here are. We ALL have opinions and in the normal course of discussion (in our normally free country) we can express these opinions as long as civil and not insulting. Unfortunately, it seems that we have made changes in here where "opinions" are no longer tolerated even when reasonable, realistic and stated in polite terms. So very unfortunate. I thought the wall came down years ago. :( :o

Damn, in trouble again--another opinion. :o

Lee

PS: And like I have said before---as an open forum it would seem that we would be providing useful decision information to BOTH Buyers AND Sellers since we obviously have both on here. :eek:

ensteele 07-11-2007 10:21 AM

Opinions are just fine and that has not been changed here. There are forums here where there are nothing but opinions and what people believe. That is not the point. We are just trying to give members who have cars for sale a chance to do so without others telling of how they bought their car for hundreds less and that KBB says that it is only worth X amount. Put yourself in that situation. You give an asking price and then members start to attack it saying that there is no way you can get that for it. That is why many will not give a price. They are afraid to. :o This is one forum that we have tried to give the seller a chance to sell at their asking price without getting criticism. If they are asking too much, then it will not sell and then they will lower their price or still own the car. I may have come across a little strong in my post, but I was trying to enforce that. Nothing has changed, and the wall did not get rebuilt.

budbaer 07-11-2007 11:32 AM

I do agree with Earl. If you want to state an opinion or discuss something that you feel strongly about, there is lots of bandwidth at your disposal on this site. I think that we need to keep the "You'll never get that kind of money" or "What makes your SVX so special" out of the For Sale section of the site.

Everything has a price for a Buyer and a Seller. To make a quality transaction, you need to find a common place where the Buyers price and the Sellers price overlap.

Beside, If I were ever to sell my SVX, I'd be kind of scared to put it on here for fear that people on the network would tear me down to think that my car isn't worth the price that I posted.

When you think about it, Tom's price isn't that bad. 25,000 for a newer STI that some frat-boy has beaten to death and puked in or 25,000 for a performance monster that has been well cared for and maintained. Hopefully there has not been any vomiting in Tom's car.

ensteele 07-11-2007 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by budbaer
Hopefully there has not been any vomiting in Tom's car.

ROFALMAO :D :D :D :D

svxfiles 07-11-2007 02:49 PM

Years ago a friend of mine decided to sell his special truck.
After it was in a 1996 Cumberland flood he COMPLETELY rebuilt it.
New 500hp/499tq crate engine, rebuilt trans, new rotors/drums/callipers/wheel cylinders/master cylinder/radiator, new wood flatbed.
New windshield/seats/paint gas tank/fuel pump/alternator, etc. etc. etc.
He put $10,000.00 real 1997 $s into it in just parts alone.
New plow, new white spoke wheels 33" tires, the list goes on...
Anyway he wanted to get $6500.00 out of the truck.
I told my neighbor about this 500hp monster.
He said it wasn't worth $6500.00.

I thought about that for a minute, and replied that it wasn't worth it TO HIM!

The truck was a steal!

Tom has a very special SVX.
Very clean, very fast.

And as far as I know, never puked in!:D

Good luck whatever you do Young Tom.

lhopp77 07-11-2007 07:38 PM

Discussion

I don't think anyone in here has said that the sum total value of Tom's car is any less than he is asking for it. Opinions have been stated, but NO ONE has said anything disparaging about his car. They have simply pointed out the somewhat obvious. There is a very narrow market for a car of this age with expensive modifications.

I think it is also, obvious that the biggest market in the narrow market are young people that would normally drive an STi or similar car. The vast majority of this group cannot afford such a car and cannot get a loan for it. The member that mentioned parting it was not referring to parting the entire car, but simply the aftermarket parts to bring the car down to a more marketable price. (Notice--I did not say value)

Even the lack of AC is a limiting factor--how many people in the South or Southwest would buy a car without air? They couldn't drive it in the summer--even occasionally.

Again--I don't see where anyone has said the price is to much for what it is--just too much for the market.

Again, I strongly disagree with Earl and RSVX that there should be total limits on people providing comparable pricing. IT SHOULD BE FOR BUYER AND SELLER MEMBERS. Not just the usual join to SELL crowd.

My opinion.--YES, the wall IS up again. :)

Lee

svxxx26 07-11-2007 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lhopp77

My opinion.--YES, the wall IS up again. :)

Lee

Lee, the policy was stated pretty clearly. This particular forum is for selling cars and it's an open market. Ask questions, yes. Give your opinion, no - other than either buying or not buying the car.

Question for you - do you often go down to the local car lots and talk about what a crappy car they're selling to the prospective buyers? or how overpriced it is for the market?

Plenty of open discussion forums here, this ain't it. My opinion. :)

RSVX 07-11-2007 08:26 PM

This thread has gotten off track... I will be splitting it to keep it about Tom's SVX for sale.

RSVX 07-11-2007 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by budbaer
I do agree with Earl. If you want to state an opinion or discuss something that you feel strongly about, there is lots of bandwidth at your disposal on this site. I think that we need to keep the "You'll never get that kind of money" or "What makes your SVX so special" out of the For Sale section of the site.

Everything has a price for a Buyer and a Seller. To make a quality transaction, you need to find a common place where the Buyers price and the Sellers price overlap.

Beside, If I were ever to sell my SVX, I'd be kind of scared to put it on here for fear that people on the network would tear me down to think that my car isn't worth the price that I posted.

When you think about it, Tom's price isn't that bad. 25,000 for a newer STI that some frat-boy has beaten to death and puked in or 25,000 for a performance monster that has been well cared for and maintained. Hopefully there has not been any vomiting in Tom's car.

This post puts it more clearly than I ever could.

Lee, if the wall was truly up, all of your posts would be deleted.

Its a policy for ONE SECTION of the site. I have stated it before, if its not worth the price to YOU, move along.

If you think you would be interested in it, for less. PM or email the seller.

If you have no interest in buy the car, but think the price is too high, go away.

odepaj 07-11-2007 09:26 PM

I agree that a seller has the right to put whatever price they want, but there are times when someone is clearly out of line on price. There is a guy here in town selling his black '92 LS-L with 91k and he was asking $4k (which normally I would be fine with) the thing is, I drove the car and it really needs alot of work, (the car has pretty much been beaten on by the current seller and the previous owner). He also told me he bought the car for $2900, a week before I went to look at it :eek: so in one weeks time the car jumped $1k in price just because it changed hands, well I told him he wouldnt be able to sell the car for more than $3k (being generous) and if it did sell for more than that the buyer would be getting ripped off badly. This all happened 4 months ago and of course.........the car still sits, with the new price of $3500 written on the windshield. I was seriously interested in the car also, so I didnt just go to him and tell him hes crazy because I felt like it (but when I pulled engine codes and told him there was more stuff wrong with his car, he didnt seem to happy of me being there). Long story short, I dont think suggesting a lower price is the right thing to do if your not interested in the vehicle, but sometimes the seller can be in the wrong with their pricing.

Dustin

ensteele 07-11-2007 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by odepaj
I agree that a seller has the right to put whatever price they want, but there are times when someone is clearly out of line on price. There is a guy here in town selling his black '92 LS-L with 91k and he was asking $4k (which normally I would be fine with) the thing is, I drove the car and it really needs alot of work, (the car has pretty much been beaten on by the current seller and the previous owner). He also told me he bought the car for $2900, a week before I went to look at it :eek: so in one weeks time the car jumped $1k in price just because it changed hands, well I told him he wouldnt be able to sell the car for more than $3k (being generous) and if it did sell for more than that the buyer would be getting ripped off badly. This all happened 4 months ago and of course.........the car still sits, with the new price of $3500 written on the windshield. I was seriously interested in the car also, so I didnt just go to him and tell him hes crazy because I felt like it (but when I pulled engine codes and told him there was more stuff wrong with his car, he didnt seem to happy of me being there). Long story short, I dont think suggesting a lower price is the right thing to do if your not interested in the vehicle, but sometimes the seller can be in the wrong with their pricing.

Dustin

Your story is about someone outside of this site. That is fine and if someone sees a situation like that and lets us know about it here, that is fine. This is about members here that are asking for a price that they would like to get. If it is more than it is worth, fine, nobody will probably buy it. We have seen members here chime in with prices that are bare bottom quotes of what they think the car is worth or a very good deal that they got several years ago. Yes, there are good deals, but we should not expect every one here that is selling their car to sell at a $1,000 or $2,000 price when it is worth more. We just need to respect our own members a little more than we have in the past. Yes, there are some that join the site just to sell a car. And yes, they sometimes ask 2X what it is worth, but we should not trash their price even though they are asking more than it is worth. If nobody buys it, they will either come down in price, or have it for some time. :)

odepaj 07-11-2007 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ensteele
Your story is about someone outside of this site. That is fine and if someone sees a situation like that and lets us know about it here, that is fine. This is about members here that are asking for a price that they would like to get. If it is more than it is worth, fine, nobody will probably buy it. We have seen members here chime in with prices that are bare bottom quotes of what they think the car is worth or a very good deal that they got several years ago. Yes, there are good deals, but we should not expect every one here that is selling their car to sell at a $1,000 or $2,000 price when it is worth more. We just need to respect our own members a little more than we have in the past. Yes, there are some that join the site just to sell a car. And yes, they sometimes ask 2X what it is worth, but we should not trash their price even though they are asking more than it is worth. If nobody buys it, they will either come down in price, or have it for some time. :)

Yeah, I was just using that as an example. If that guy posted his car here on the forums I would let everybody know the condition of the car but price and negotiating is up to them.

Crazy_pilot 07-12-2007 01:57 AM

I'd say if you really have a strong opinion about the dollar figure someone has assigned to their car, send a PM. Take it up with them personally. That way things can be ironed out without going through all the trouble we have right here.

I would think about it like this: My Taurus is well maintained, good condition, blah blah blah, but I'll ask for a fairly low price when I sell it. Why? Because it doesn't mean anything to me. It's just A-B transportation. My SVX on the other hand...In a year or two I will have put a lot of time and effort into not just maintaining it, but improving/modifying/restoring it. So what it comes down to is that while book value might be X amount, with the time I've put in and what it means to me, I'm putting a higher number on it. Will that make it harder to sell? Yes. But I'll ask for what the car is worth to me all the same.