The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Political Forum (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Veto our President (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=38789)

demonsvx 05-02-2007 06:08 PM

Veto our President

It seems odd that 1 person(our glorious leader) has the power over OUR representatives and senators who we empowered to pass the Iraq war bill. We are in Iraq now fighting "terrorists"-hmm I thought we went there to find WMDs then Saddam then rebuild what we destroyed and now its to get terrorists that pre 9-11 really didnt exist in Iraq. When is the will of the people going to impeach him.

zcarguy 05-02-2007 07:03 PM

You might want to study up on your high school civics lessons again if it seems that odd to you. The founding fathers designed the system to give the President the power to veto a bill sent to him, now those "representatives" you mentioned have the chance to over-ride the veto. If they can't then the will of the people has spoken.

Personally I'm gald he vetoed it and I hope the congress doesn't over turn the veto. That bill is nothing but pork and a political statement by the dems that would deny our troops the required funding to safely and effectively do their job. The idea that a bunch of mealy mouthed politicians are going to further endanger the lives of our troops who are in harms way to make a political statement is discusting. All of them should be voted out of office.

Edit: If you want a good example of what happens when politicians get involved in running a war take look at what happened in Vietnam. That war was terribly mismanaged and it was due to the media and congress trying to micro-manage every aspect of it.

demonsvx 05-02-2007 07:51 PM

I understand how the Constitution has gave final say to the President. I do have a problem how he runs this country like a dictator and no clear plan on Iraq. Why is there so many unclear issues with his Presidency? Also I am not for cutting funding to our troops but decide on a PLAN for getting them out of there. I do not want our troops to be abandoned because of funding but this war wast started on a premise of WMDs. I also understand that this has become a unpopular war because of lost soldiers and no clear plan of what we are doing there. We are stuck between two religious sects that could care less if we are there. Al-queda took advantage of this and NOW we are fighting the terrorists there. Also why do we want to build a wall around Baghdad when we should put one on our southern border states? Why are we sinking billions of dollars into a country that as soon as we leave(hopefully sooner than later) it will go back to some sort of muslim dictatorship? The Middle East is a lost cause in my opinion as long as we support Israel ,who is equally a problem in this, we will never win. Like I said before if the Iraqis want freedom, peace and democracy then THEY SHOULD STEP UP AND WANT IT, not the U.S. doing all the damn work.

Manarius 05-02-2007 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zcarguy
Personally I'm gald he vetoed it and I hope the congress doesn't over turn the veto. That bill is nothing but pork and a political statement by the dems that would deny our troops the required funding to safely and effectively do their job. The idea that a bunch of mealy mouthed politicians are going to further endanger the lives of our troops who are in harms way to make a political statement is discusting. All of them should be voted out of office.

Edit: If you want a good example of what happens when politicians get involved in running a war take look at what happened in Vietnam. That war was terribly mismanaged and it was due to the media and congress trying to micro-manage every aspect of it.

Really? Last time I checked, Vietnam went badly because the President didn't have a clear objective and we couldn't fight them correctly. I mean, 55k men died in Vietnam, obviously that's because congress micro-managed it? No. LBJ was fed misleading information and started a war that turned extremely unpopular in 1967-1968. Guess who stopped the war in Vietnam? Well, Nixon put a lot for it, but it was Ford in 1975 who really saw the end of it.

Now, I'm glad the Democrats sent a bill to Bush and he vetoed it - it just proves how stupid he is. He can veto the money all he wants, but if he doesn't get the money by May or June, the troops have to leave because they won't have any money. Of course it was filled with pork! Why should the president just get everything he asks for? Why can't the Democrats have something too? Especially when he's asking for money for a war that serves no point! President Bush is the lamest lame-duck president this country has ever seen.

There is a reason the founding fathers made sure CONGRESS has the power of the purse - to keep stupid presidents from spending money on wasteful things like wars for no good reason.

Oh, and for the record, Dennis Kucinich did introduce articles of impeachment against Dick Cheney. Unfortunately, they didn't go very far.

ensteele 05-02-2007 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manarius
Now, I'm glad the Democrats sent a bill to Bush and he vetoed it - it just proves how stupid he is. He can veto the money all he wants, but if he doesn't get the money by May or June, the troops have to leave because they won't have any money. Of course it was filled with pork! Why should the president just get everything he asks for? Why can't the Democrats have something too? Especially when he's asking for money for a war that serves no point! President Bush is the lamest lame-duck president this country has ever seen.

Now that makes a lot of sence. :o

lhopp77 05-03-2007 07:20 AM

From a Liberal

These are thoughts to ponder from a "Liberal"

Subject: : JAY LENO..." HITS THE NAIL ON THE HEAD"

Jay Leno wrote this; it's the Jay Leno we don't often see....

"The other day I was reading Newsweek magazine and came across some poll data I found rather hard to believe. It must be true given the source, right?

The Newsweek poll alleges that 67 percent of Americans are unhappy with the direction the country is headed and 69 percent of the country is unhappy with the erformance of the president. In essence 2/3 of the citizenry just ain't happy and want a change.

So being the knuckle dragger I am, I started thinking, ''What we are so unhappy about?''

Is it that we have electricity and running water 24 hours a day, 7 days a week? Is our unhappiness the result of having air conditioning in the summer and heating in the winter? Could it be that 95.4 percent of these unhappy folks have a job? Maybe it is the ability to walk into a grocery store at any time and see more food in moments than Darfur has seen in the last year?

Maybe it is the ability to drive from the Pacific Ocean to the Atlantic Ocean without having to present identification papers as we move through each state? Or possibly the hundreds of clean and safe motels we would find along the way that can provide temporary shelter?

I guess having thousands of restaurants with varying cuisine from around the world is just not good enough. Or could it be that when we wreck our car, emergency workers show up and provide services to help all and even send a helicopter to take you to the hospital.

Perhaps you are one of the 70 percent of Americans who own a home. You may be upset with knowing that in the unfortunate case of a fire, a group of trained firefighters will appear in moments and use top notch equipment to extinguish the flames thus saving you, your family and your belongings.

Or if, while at home watching one of your many flat screen TVs, a burglar or prowler intrudes , an officer equipped with a gun and a bullet-proof vest will come to defend you and your family against attack or loss. This all in the backdrop of a neighborhood free of bombs or militias raping and pillaging the residents. Neighborhoods where 90 percent of teenagers own cell phones and computers.

How about the complete religious, social and political freedoms we enjoy that are the envy of everyone in the world? Maybe that is what has 67 percent of you folks unhappy.

Fact is, we are the largest group of ungrateful, spoiled brats the world has ever seen. No wonder the world loves the U.S. , yet has a great disdain for its citizens. They see us for what we are. The most blessed people in the world who do nothing but complain about what we don't have , and what we hate about the country instead of thanking
the good Lord we live here.

I know, I know. What about the president who took us into war and has no plan to get us out? The president who has a measly 31 percent approval rating? Is this the same president who guided the nation in the dark days after 9/11? The president that cut taxes to bring an economy out of recession? Could this be the same guy who has been called every name in the book for succeeding in keeping all the spoiled ungrateful brats safe from terrorist attacks?

The commander in chief of an all-volunteer army that is out there defending you and me? Did you hear how bad the President is on the news or talk show? Did this news affect you so much, make you so unhappy you couldn't take a look around for yourself and see all the good things and be glad?

Think about it......are you upset at the President because he actually caused you personal pain OR is it because the "Media" told you he was failing to kiss your sorry ungrateful behind every day.

Make no mistake about it. The troops in Iraq and Afghanistan have volunteered to serve, and in many cases may have died for your freedom. There is currently no draft in this country. They didn't have to go. They are able to refuse to go and end up with either a ''general'' discharge, an ''other than honorable'' discharge or, worst case scenario, a ''dishonorable'' discharge after a few days in the brig.

So why then the flat-out discontentment in the minds of 69 percent of Americans? Say what you want but I blame it on the media. If it bleeds it leads and they specialize in bad news. Everybody will watch a car crash with blood and guts. How many will watch kids selling lemonade at the corner? The media knows this and media outlets are for-profit corporations. They offer what sells , and when criticized, try to defend their actions by "justifying" them in one way or another. Just ask why they tried to allow a murderer like O.J. Simpson to write a book about how he didn't kill his wife, but if he did he would have done it this way......Insane!

Stop buying the negativism you are fed everyday by the media. Shut off the TV, burn Newsweek, and use the New York Times for the bottom of your bird cage. Then start being grateful for all we have as a country. There is exponentially more good than bad.

We are among the most blessed people on Earth and should thank God several times a day, or at least be thankful and appreciative."

"With hurricanes, tornados, fires out of control, mud slides, flooding, severe thunderstorms tearing up the country from one end to another, and with the threat of bird flu and terrorist attacks, "Are we sure this is a good time to take God out of the Pledge of Allegiance?"

Jay Leno

Manarius 05-03-2007 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ensteele
Now that makes a lot of sence. :o

I hate pork as much as the next person, but if the president is allowed to have $125billion to fight a useless war, than the Democrats can put 5 million on in pork.

RSVX 05-03-2007 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lhopp77
These are thoughts to ponder from a "Liberal"

Subject: : JAY LENO..." HITS THE NAIL ON THE HEAD"

Jay Leno wrote this; it's the Jay Leno we don't often see....

"The other day I was reading Newsweek magazine and came across some poll data I found rather hard to believe. It must be true given the source, right?

The Newsweek poll alleges that 67 percent of Americans are unhappy with the direction the country is headed and 69 percent of the country is unhappy with the erformance of the president. In essence 2/3 of the citizenry just ain't happy and want a change.

So being the knuckle dragger I am, I started thinking, ''What we are so unhappy about?''

Is it that we have electricity and running water 24 hours a day, 7 days a week? Is our unhappiness the result of having air conditioning in the summer and heating in the winter? Could it be that 95.4 percent of these unhappy folks have a job? Maybe it is the ability to walk into a grocery store at any time and see more food in moments than Darfur has seen in the last year?

Maybe it is the ability to drive from the Pacific Ocean to the Atlantic Ocean without having to present identification papers as we move through each state? Or possibly the hundreds of clean and safe motels we would find along the way that can provide temporary shelter?

I guess having thousands of restaurants with varying cuisine from around the world is just not good enough. Or could it be that when we wreck our car, emergency workers show up and provide services to help all and even send a helicopter to take you to the hospital.

Perhaps you are one of the 70 percent of Americans who own a home. You may be upset with knowing that in the unfortunate case of a fire, a group of trained firefighters will appear in moments and use top notch equipment to extinguish the flames thus saving you, your family and your belongings.

Or if, while at home watching one of your many flat screen TVs, a burglar or prowler intrudes , an officer equipped with a gun and a bullet-proof vest will come to defend you and your family against attack or loss. This all in the backdrop of a neighborhood free of bombs or militias raping and pillaging the residents. Neighborhoods where 90 percent of teenagers own cell phones and computers.

How about the complete religious, social and political freedoms we enjoy that are the envy of everyone in the world? Maybe that is what has 67 percent of you folks unhappy.

Fact is, we are the largest group of ungrateful, spoiled brats the world has ever seen. No wonder the world loves the U.S. , yet has a great disdain for its citizens. They see us for what we are. The most blessed people in the world who do nothing but complain about what we don't have , and what we hate about the country instead of thanking
the good Lord we live here.

I know, I know. What about the president who took us into war and has no plan to get us out? The president who has a measly 31 percent approval rating? Is this the same president who guided the nation in the dark days after 9/11? The president that cut taxes to bring an economy out of recession? Could this be the same guy who has been called every name in the book for succeeding in keeping all the spoiled ungrateful brats safe from terrorist attacks?

The commander in chief of an all-volunteer army that is out there defending you and me? Did you hear how bad the President is on the news or talk show? Did this news affect you so much, make you so unhappy you couldn't take a look around for yourself and see all the good things and be glad?

Think about it......are you upset at the President because he actually caused you personal pain OR is it because the "Media" told you he was failing to kiss your sorry ungrateful behind every day.

Make no mistake about it. The troops in Iraq and Afghanistan have volunteered to serve, and in many cases may have died for your freedom. There is currently no draft in this country. They didn't have to go. They are able to refuse to go and end up with either a ''general'' discharge, an ''other than honorable'' discharge or, worst case scenario, a ''dishonorable'' discharge after a few days in the brig.

So why then the flat-out discontentment in the minds of 69 percent of Americans? Say what you want but I blame it on the media. If it bleeds it leads and they specialize in bad news. Everybody will watch a car crash with blood and guts. How many will watch kids selling lemonade at the corner? The media knows this and media outlets are for-profit corporations. They offer what sells , and when criticized, try to defend their actions by "justifying" them in one way or another. Just ask why they tried to allow a murderer like O.J. Simpson to write a book about how he didn't kill his wife, but if he did he would have done it this way......Insane!

Stop buying the negativism you are fed everyday by the media. Shut off the TV, burn Newsweek, and use the New York Times for the bottom of your bird cage. Then start being grateful for all we have as a country. There is exponentially more good than bad.

We are among the most blessed people on Earth and should thank God several times a day, or at least be thankful and appreciative."

"With hurricanes, tornados, fires out of control, mud slides, flooding, severe thunderstorms tearing up the country from one end to another, and with the threat of bird flu and terrorist attacks, "Are we sure this is a good time to take God out of the Pledge of Allegiance?"

Jay Leno

www.snopes.com

mikecg 05-03-2007 08:28 AM

I love public opinion polls. They make me laugh. Poeple wanted something done, but if it takes longer than a week, they get unhappy with it. I give him credit for not giving to public pressure and plling out as soon as it was unpopular. If you pull out to early, you just have to go back in later to finish the job right the next time. And yes there was terrorist there before, we just didnt go after them the first time.

lhopp77 05-03-2007 09:46 AM

No Matter

The credit line or actual author is really irrelevant. It is the thoughts and content that are thought provoking. :)

Lee

Hocrest 05-03-2007 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lhopp77
The credit line or actual author is really irrelevant. It is the thoughts and content that are thought provoking. :)

Lee

It is a pointless essay, the author takes the "fact" that
Quote:

In essence 2/3 of the citizenry just ain't happy and want a change.
and turns this into a rant that 66% of the country doesn't appreciate how great this country is.

How does wanting improvement mean that you don't appreciate what you have now?

If I have a brownie and want another brownie, does that mean that I didn't enjoy the first one?

Why is it bad to want to improve our country??

None of his examples relate to the direction the country is heading, they are all about where we are.

zcarguy 05-03-2007 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonsvx
I understand how the Constitution has gave final say to the President.

This is what I was trying point out by telling you to go back and study your HS civics. The president doesn't have final say and never has. The congress has the opportunity to over-ride his veto which gives them the final say, if they can't get enough votes to make it happen then the veto stands. The congress even has the ability to negate presidential orders but that authority has never been used, and as a final over-ride of presidential power the congress has impeachment ability which if successful effectively fires the president. Can the president fire congress? Don't think so!!!!!
Only those of us who vote can fire our senators and representatives and I think it's high time we fired all of them, Dems and Republicans.

demonsvx 05-03-2007 02:55 PM

Quote:

This is what I was trying point out by telling you to go back and study your HS civics. The president doesn't have final say and never has. The congress has the opportunity to over-ride his veto which gives them the final say, if they can't get enough votes to make it happen then the veto stands. The congress even has the ability to negate presidential orders but that authority has never been used, and as a final over-ride of presidential power the congress has impeachment ability which if successful effectively fires the president. Can the president fire congress? Don't think so!!!!!
Only those of us who vote can fire our senators and representatives and I think it's high time we fired all of them, Dems and Republicans.

I stand corrected. I had forgotten the override veto until the other day. The problem I have is the Presidents arrogance to the war. He reminds me of the playground bully, the "Decider" as he puts it. The override veto was I believe not intended to cut funding to our troops but to give the "decider" a wake up call that he doesnt have unlimited power. He is the worst president Ive ever seen-Ive seen Carter,Reagan,Bush I, Clinton and have read history on the other presidents-not all of them have been great but a few. Thank God there is a amendment to our Constitution to limit terms. Of course with a "executive order" he can stay in after declaring a "national emergency".
We will see:rolleyes:

zcarguy 05-04-2007 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonsvx
Of course with a "executive order" he can stay in after declaring a "national emergency".
We will see:rolleyes:

This sounds like what a lot of us were saying at the end of "Slick Willy's" (Clinton) final term. There's no way it would stand if he attempted it which he won't.

Bush isn't the best president we've ever had or the worst and I agree the war in Iraq has been badly mis-managed. As for him being a bully I don't see that, what I see is a guy who strongly believes what he believes and acts on those convictions sometimes to his own detriment.

I'm really glad we didn't end up with Gore or Kerry.

My opinion about the politicians in DC is that none of them really give a hoot about anything except staying in office and will do just about anything to make that happen.

ensteele 05-04-2007 11:01 AM

Quote:

Bush isn't the best president we've ever had or the worst and I agree the war in Iraq has been badly mis-managed. As for him being a bully I don't see that, what I see is a guy who strongly believes what he believes and acts on those convictions sometimes to his own detriment.

I agree with that and at least he has some morals to boot.

Quote:

I'm really glad we didn't end up with Gore or Kerry..

Amen to that!

Quote:

My opinion about the politicians in DC is that none of them really give a hoot about anything except staying in office and will do just about anything to make that happen.

I would like to get most of them out of office and start all over again. About the only way some of them will get out of office is for them to die. :mad: They spend money like it was somone else's. Oh, I guess it it! :rolleyes: :o :(