The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   A/C compressor fix (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=51345)

AUSVX 08-19-2009 02:22 AM

A/C compressor fix

Hey everyone, my aircon system has been previously converted over to r134 and used that green dye that can determine a leak when the green dye shows up in places... Well it's shown up on the compressor and I'm not sure what work's in inolved.

1 is the SVX compressor (92 orig r12) interchangable with other Subarus or other Cars?

2 Since it's probably a seal, are seals readily available?

Thanks, Jordan.

dcarrb 08-19-2009 05:19 AM

Re: A/C compressor fix

I don't believe Subaru offers replacement compressor parts, but imagine someone who knew what they were doing and where to look could source bearings, seals and such needed for a rebuild. I've replaced two compressors in recent years with aftermarket reman units which, if I was correctly informed, is what you'll get from Subaru.

dcb

Hocrest 08-19-2009 05:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AUSVX (Post 614262)
1 is the SVX compressor (92 orig r12) interchangable with other Subarus or other Cars?

no, it's not

legacyau 08-19-2009 06:00 AM

i'm sure theyre rebuildable i've been meaning to look into it myself i will report back here

cam

dcarrb 08-19-2009 06:45 AM

The place where I bought my compressors didn't even offer a core refund for the old ones (no demand, I guess), so I still have the originals cluttering up the garage. Though I hope not to need them for awhile, it would be interesting to find a source and price for a quality rebuild.

dcb

NiftySVX 08-19-2009 08:56 AM

As of last time I checked the subaru compressor for both the 92 and 93+ were brand new units, and the SVX compressor is a variable displacement unit and is unique to the SVX model. You could contact a dealer and ask if there is one available reman. Most of the time you can choose to purchase a new unit OR a reman, as both are available.

redlightningsvx 08-19-2009 03:36 PM

A new ones over $400 i think last time I checked at work.

subiemech85 08-19-2009 04:54 PM

the question is WHERE is the leak??

mine leaked at the hose conection
bad o-rings
replaced and no other problems :D

redlightningsvx 08-19-2009 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by subiemech85 (Post 614363)
the question is WHERE is the leak??

Yea but he didn't say where on the compressor it's leaking from. On a side note I had a pinhole in my high pressure hose on the weld that the connector goes onto the compressor.

jcimos 08-22-2009 05:38 AM

Well be carefull if your going that route of welding, i believe that compressor is made out of aluminium. That some tricky metal to weld. When you said seal do you mean the "O" rings on the compressor?:confused:

ensteele 08-22-2009 08:32 AM

I think Dayle at MotorSports Warehouse offers a rebuild on them. If I remember right, he sends you a good one and then you send him yours for the core price. He then gets them rebuilt. I don't remember how much they are. :)

AUSVX 08-24-2009 01:22 AM

Hey thanks for all your help guys. I may go the US route and grab one from you guys provided it's the same part and part number and from what Nate said it looks like I need a new reciever/drier?

Thanks, Jordan.

SoCal LS-L 01-06-2010 02:32 PM

Ok tried charging my a/c at work today, replaced the schrader valves, and all 4 o-rings at the compressor and receiver/drier.

The I noticed a hissing sound at the direct center of the clutch face, sounds like its coming from the center on the front side seal maybe?

Has anyone had success sourcing a rebuild kit for these?

Or maybe someone know a good priced one (how much for Dayles MS Warehouse one?)