The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   What boost can you run on a stock EG33 motor? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50999)

SoCal LS-L 07-19-2009 04:06 PM

Re: What boost can you run on a stock EG33 motor?

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverSpear (Post 610136)
Come on guys, stop it... this is getting childish

Ok, one last gif or two then ill grow up again...

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u...8_al_bundy.jpg
http://i545.photobucket.com/albums/h...lite/31070.gif

TomsSVX 07-19-2009 06:02 PM

Intercooled... prob around 12psi w/ proper tuning. problem is, the motor cannot use it in the upper RPMS where a turbo is going to make it. Soooooo a solid 9psi at midrange would be perfect

Tom

Blacky 07-19-2009 06:18 PM

More gifs more gifs more gifs

oab_au 07-19-2009 06:18 PM

Empty your PM box Tom.
Harvey.

TomsSVX 07-19-2009 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oab_au (Post 610153)
Empty your PM box Tom.
Harvey.

Okie Dokie

Tom

y2daniel1981 07-19-2009 07:26 PM

I swear, I have seen this question so many times. The general answer is 5-7 without an intercooler and 7-9 with one.

BTW I saved many of these pics, I cant wait to use them on other forums

TomsSVX 07-19-2009 07:36 PM

and you have experience with this?

Tom

Crazy_pilot 07-19-2009 07:40 PM

Tom, weren't you running 9 PSI on the blower with stock internals without breaking stuff?

y2daniel1981 07-19-2009 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomsSVX (Post 610175)
and you have experience with this?

Tom

Yes I have boosted a few cars before that were not boosted from the factory. Plus I said as a general rule, but did not say that was how it was with every car, and it is a general rule and you know it. Go ask around any forum and that is the answer you'll get. But there is one thing I did forget to mention, if you add some supporting mods like fuel injectors, pump, adjust timing, and an a/f controller you'll be safer at those levels. But of course to be completely safe and run higher *sigh* you'll need to build the engine and tune it with a full stand alone such as the hydra *end sigh*

TomsSVX 07-19-2009 07:49 PM

The question at hand was what can a stock EG33 run. The answer from my experience has been posted. A general response is not going to help anyone here.

Tom

TomsSVX 07-19-2009 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy_pilot (Post 610177)
Tom, weren't you running 9 PSI on the blower with stock internals without breaking stuff?

Still am.

Tom

y2daniel1981 07-19-2009 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomsSVX (Post 610181)
The question at hand was what can a stock EG33 run. The answer from my experience has been posted. A general response is not going to help anyone here.

Tom

Well does anyone have documentation on exactly how much boost a stock EG33 will take before breaking? Yes? No? If not then we'll have to go with a general statement and not an absolute. Oh and the numbers I was saying were for an internally stock EG33. Even with adding something as simple as an exhaust system you could say an EG33 is not stock because it is not working with the same paramenters/materials that it came from the factory with. Plus there is nothing wrong with adding a little more FYI stuff if it'll help.

TomsSVX 07-19-2009 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by y2daniel1981 (Post 610183)
Well does anyone have documentation on exactly how much boost a stock EG33 will take before breaking? Yes? No? If not then we'll have to go with a general statement and not an absolute. Plus there is nothing wrong with adding a little more FYI stuff if it'll help.

I have. its called detonation. When you reach it and hold it. You will break it. So you tune to the edge of said detonation until you can tune it for peak torque on a dyno. So when I say that I have run a 12psi pulley and a 9psi pulley and have had made more power w/ more timing with the 9psi than w/ more boost and less timing on the 12psi pulley. That is your documentation. I have several data logs supporting this.

Tom

y2daniel1981 07-19-2009 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomsSVX (Post 610185)
I have. its called detonation. When you reach it and hold it. You will break it. So you tune to the edge of said detonation until you can tune it for peak torque on a dyno. So when I say that I have run a 12psi pulley and a 9psi pulley and have had made more power w/ more timing with the 9psi than w/ more boost and less timing on the 12psi pulley. That is your documentation. I have several data logs supporting this.

Tom

Well I'm glad that there is some documentation then, and you stated that your documentation is within the general statement I made earlier. Of course also as a general statement there can be some variation between a s/c and a t/c

Quote:

Originally Posted by y2daniel1981 (Post 610172)
I swear, I have seen this question so many times. The general answer is 5-7 without an intercooler and 7-9 with one.

TomsSVX 07-19-2009 08:07 PM

yes there will be variation. but is there a point to run higher boost in an RPM range it cannot be used? I have also documented that the engine cannot flow enough to use the CFMS that my supercharger puts out. I get a charge build up in the upper rpms which has exceeded 15psi. Why? Because it cannot move it through the engine fast enough due to restrictions in the head and camshaft profiles.

Tom