The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   More aggressive cam (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=64569)

Tmazzola12 03-28-2018 05:04 PM

More aggressive cam

Hey guys anybody know if Porsche per say has a cam that'll work with the eg33
Cheaper alternative?

96 Ls-I Polo Green - #467 -

huck369 03-29-2018 07:27 AM

Re: More aggressive cam

Absolutely Nothing from a Porsche will fit in a Subaru EG33..... :eek:

Tmazzola12 03-29-2018 10:47 AM

Damm so no such luck on cheaper alternatives to a more aggressive cam profile
I'm from massachusetts they don't work with their hands so much as in machining things as the older days or it's super expensive

Goal is a N/A 300-350 whp car close to stock looking as possible

Would need stand alone computer
Wrx injectors
Equal length headers

Poor mans cam options? Mainly intake
Gonna want to re seal and ring the whole motor for peace of mind
Money will be spend on that and the computer mainly

Tmazzola12 03-29-2018 10:48 AM

And doesn't a Porsche 944 tall boy oil filter fit the svx over the standard short can

huck369 03-29-2018 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tmazzola12 (Post 748399)
And doesn't a Porsche 944 tall boy oil filter fit the svx over the standard short can

I couldn't say on the filter, but Porsche had no involvement in the EG33, and they share no internal parts.....And I've never found Porsche part to be "in-expensive" anyway.

Any decent machine shop can build you a reground cam, if you give them the specs you want.
There have been a few member that have built EG33's, maybe one will chime in with some recommendations.
There is more activity on the Facebook site if you get on there.

bwb3 03-30-2018 08:10 AM

I have been using the 944 oil filter for years. A direct fit. Maybe false security but, the stock one is so small.

Tmazzola12 03-31-2018 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwb3 (Post 748408)
I have been using the 944 oil filter for years. A direct fit. Maybe false security but, the stock one is so small.

30 bucks a filter for maybe an extra half a quart of oil is worth it..I want to rig up a dry sump when I do the 5 speed swap as next summers goals

This years goal is just a healthy daily

shotgunslade 04-16-2018 11:55 AM

Oil filter to fit Porsche 944 is $4.99 at Autozone. Low budget cam mod from way back was to use SVX exhaust camshaft for intake. Exhaust has 8mm lift compared with 7mm on intake. I had this for a while on my '94 emerald, but can't say that it made that much improvement. Was never dyno'ed. From personal experience can say that 300-350 whp N/A is not achievable. Young Tom got 246 whp on the emerald, and that was using about every trick in the book. Even so, idle was lopey, had to let it warm up for a while, before leaving the garage, or it would stall, and it failed emissions. But with the hammer down, it is a screamer. All of these are characteristics of high lift, long duration, big overlap camshafts. Look at my signature, below to see all of the things that were done to the engine. If you can think of anything more, let me know. I might do them.

By the way, this is not an inexpensive approach. Engine alone was probably between $20,000 - $25,000 before it was all over. Turbo is probably cheaper for more hp. Just need to get the CR down a bit. I've always wondered if there were some extra material that could be removed from the combustion chamber in the head that would drop the CR down a point or two to allow more boost.

Conn SVX 04-17-2018 12:37 PM

No. ECU chip MOD OR Stacker ignition ?
Is the HP ratting WRP. Or FLY WHEEL HP ? I also heard the ECU. Can't Handle much more than 20 extra HP

huck369 04-17-2018 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Conn SVX (Post 748497)
No. ECU chip MOD OR Stacker ignition ?
Is the HP ratting WRP. Or FLY WHEEL HP ? I also heard the ECU. Can't Handle much more than 20 extra HP

I think it is the MAF that can't handle much more HP

shotgunslade 04-17-2018 03:13 PM

Hydra Nemesis stand alone. No MAF. Dyno-tuned using a laptop, controlling fuel, spark, using input from the wideband O2 sensor. WHP. Use the search function and pull up the chart from my pull. Posted it 7 or 8 years ago

Tmazzola12 04-17-2018 07:19 PM

The Male brand for a tall boy 944 filter which is OEM on Porsche cost me 26.99 in Massachusetts
It is supposedly better for oil drain back on colder starts

I am way more interested in OEM tune-up factory setting condition
Re- sealing and bearings for the motor maybe upgrading and cleaning internals along the way before I even contemplate HP or Body and Paint

Car runs no engine light, has a real clean body with some fatal frame rot in the rear

SSP hooked it up with an entire rear suspension so there's no messing with frozen crap

Aside from gettin in back out there I may only mess with the exaugsht before I have real money

Tmazzola12 04-17-2018 07:24 PM

Maf upgrade would have been needed for 300whp anyways on a good stand alone

Wrx injectors should be able to accommodate that

Throttle body as well but it opens the intake question
And weather the vale train would allow it

shotgunslade 04-18-2018 04:46 AM

Hydra Nemesis stand-alone doesn’t use a MAF. Read this thread: MOD Mania>Proven Engine Enhancements>11:1 CR Race/Street Engine build

Also there was a 318 WHP EG33 build in 2.5RS coupe. I rode in it at Watkins Glen. Awesome but totally unsuited for the street. Jack Laverty built it at EFI Logics. With a Motec ECU. Go over to NASIOC and search it there. It’s gone now,Jack parted out the car. Too much money. RallyBob build the heads for it, also. He suggested that individual throttle bodies could have added another 30hp. More $. Speed don’t come cheap and you can’t just bolt it on.

Tmazzola12 04-23-2018 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shotgunslade (Post 748510)
Hydra Nemesis stand-alone doesn’t use a MAF. Read this thread: MOD Mania>Proven Engine Enhancements>11:1 CR Race/Street Engine build

Also there was a 318 WHP EG33 build in 2.5RS coupe. I rode in it at Watkins Glen. Awesome but totally unsuited for the street. Jack Laverty built it at EFI Logics. With a Motec ECU. Go over to NASIOC and search it there. It’s gone now,Jack parted out the car. Too much money. RallyBob build the heads for it, also. He suggested that individual throttle bodies could have added another 30hp. More $. Speed don’t come cheap and you can’t just bolt it on.

Now we're talking this is interesting..so what if we add the 5 speed first out an outback or legacy? Then map it with some tweaking would it make the car more drivable