The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Alycone ?? what is it how do yers say it (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=12355)

grnSVX96 08-01-2003 01:03 AM

Alycone ?? what is it how do yers say it

Ok I've done the searches, I've been in here for a couple of weeks just sniffin around, I have owned an SVX for about the same amount of time...BUT in Australia we only know Subaru/SVX by one name ..what is Alycone, is it Acura/Lexus..Nissan vs Datsun :eek: ..just jokes but I would like to know the origins....Why is it so ????:confused: AAANNDD how do you say it, sorry pronounce it !!:p

Now everyone can post !!

Regards

David:D

Alycone 08-01-2003 02:56 AM

I'm guessing you wanted to know about "Alcyone" and not my name.:)

grnSVX96 08-01-2003 03:33 AM

Alycone ?

Ah yes ...the origin of the name; why Fuji HI used this and not something else, and or did they use Subaru SVX and Alycone together etc :(

David :)

LarryIII 08-01-2003 04:16 AM

Follow the buouncing ball and repeat after me:

"AL SIGH OWN EEEE ":D :cool:

ARIGATO !

b3lha 08-01-2003 04:42 AM

This has been covered before....

Here's a summary....

In Japan, the Subaru XT Coupe is known as the Subaru Alcyone and the Subaru SVX is known as the Subaru Alcyone SVX. Japanese SVX's have a cool Alcyone hood ornament which looks like bull horns.

The Subaru logo is supposed to represent a consellation known as the Pleiades or Seven Sisters - The brightest star in this constellation is called "Alcyone".

The pronounciation depends on where you are from and what language you speak. The Japanese pronounce it very differently to the Americans. Some people think it sounds more like an exotic car when you give it an Italian-esqe pronounciation.

If you search this site and the yahoo site, you'll find all this discussed at some length.

svxistentialist 08-01-2003 04:53 AM

Re: Alycone ?

Quote:

Originally posted by grnSVX96
Ah yes ...the origin of the name; why Fuji HI used this and not something else, and or did they use Subaru SVX and Alycone together etc :(

David :)

David,

I presume you know the proper spelling? Alycone would not turn up much in a search. Alloycone spells it that way, just to be different. :)

The name is taken from one of the stars in the Seven Sisters, also known as the Pleiades, and is called ALCYONE.

As Lorenzo Tre suggests, it is pronounced al-sigh-own-ee.

Fuji use the Pleiades cluster as an emblem for Subaru, I am sure you've seen it. For the SVX, they picked out one of the stars, the brightest, to make it individual. Nice name, I think. See

http://www.astro.uiuc.edu/~kaler/sow/alcyone.html

Joe:) :D :)

grnSVX96 08-01-2003 05:08 AM

A l c y o n e - Spell check

Thanks for the help with the literacy skills, all very cellestial really

Sand shoe very much [ japanese translation..!] :D

I was hoping for more of a Lexus or Acura type brand story

David :(

SVX10 08-01-2003 05:32 AM

so how do the Japanese say it since they don't have an "L" sound in their language. I work at Nissan and I'm always hearing the "R" sound filling in for the "L" sound, such as "trunk ratch"

Ron Mummert 08-01-2003 07:51 AM

Re: A l c y o n e - Spell check

I was hoping for more of a Lexus or Acura type brand story

David :( [/B][/QUOTE]

Had this been the case, perhaps the car would have sold better, more would have been produced & for longer; & it wouldn't be the cult car that it is today.

Ron.

CigarJohnny 08-01-2003 09:13 AM

I believe the correct pronounciation is "al-SIGH-own-knee" as opposed to "al-sigh-OWN-knee". However to really shine some of the hardcores on you could use "alky-won", "all-see-won" or "all-see-own-knee". :D

I agree that Subaru should have created a highline marque using "Alcyone" like Toyota did with "Lexus" and Nissan did with "Infiniti". It would have allowed them to market a highend car much easier.

ensteele 08-01-2003 09:30 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a sound file that will help you say it if you are still having some questions. :)

svxstl 08-01-2003 10:00 AM

I believe Subaru is the Japanese name for the Pleiades, too--which is why they use the star logo.

Dan

svxcess 08-01-2003 10:55 AM

I posted this a while back...

If it's on your license plates, you'd best know how to pronounce it

I have ALCYONE on my Maryland plate. Last year I contacted the New York Public Library to have them research it. Within 45 minutes I received a call from the Haydn Planetarium and, later that day, the Columbia University Observatory.

They both had the same pronunciation: el-SIGH-uh-nee

I also checked with Mt. Palomar Observatory when I was in California last summer: same pronunciation.

ww111 08-01-2003 12:07 PM

I thought it was a trade name...
I pluged it into www.m-w.com and got the al-SI-o-ne pronunciation

Cool beans, all the way around

Alcyone was the fastest, best looking, and most adventuresome of the seven sisters.

OK, I made that up... But i'm sticking with it anyway

Collins
92 pearlie
TR-8 for sale... randy... randy.... buy the 8... buy the 8

E-bay tomorrow afternoon. you might get it for a song.

DWayne2910 08-01-2003 02:24 PM

Alcyone

Ron Mummert (Mr. Wine-In-The-Box)
is also a.k.a. Alcyone, but pronounced
ALKY-ONE.
Right, Ron?....Ron?...(He's fallen down, etc.)

Dan