The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   MAF problem (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50059)

iowasvx 04-28-2009 02:23 PM

MAF problem

1994 svx

intermittantly stalling
Replaced cam shaft sensor, fuel filter, new grounds on car
Finally broke down and bought a new MAF

Just installed it. Car starts, idles rough and then dies. Restarts immediately and does the same thing. If I unhook the sensor connector the car runs fine.

Oh and I already took the old one in for core.

Any thoughts. Does the car need to learn the new sensor?

iowasvx 04-28-2009 02:46 PM

Re: MAF problem

Yanked the MAF back out. Cleaned it with MAF cleaner and reinstalled it. Car running fine now.

Don't know if the sensor was dirty (not a great thing to do sending a dirty sensor) or if the car finally caught up with the new sensor.

Gonna let it run for a while before I try driving it.

iowasvx 04-29-2009 05:34 PM

ok so i am at the end of my rope. After the car started yesterday it ran well to work today. Coming home the check engine light came on. Initially ran well. It then shuddered and lost power all together. Car then died with all dash lights coming on. Car restarted but would immediate sputter and die. Did this 5 times. Finally got out and unhooked the new MAF. Car immediately started. Check engine light is on but car drove fine the rest of the way home.

A couple of questions:

1. any ideas what is going on. Seems like the problem is with the new MAF. Not sure why it initially didn't work, then worked and then crapped out again.

2. At this point I am willing to drive around with the MAF unhooked, not sure why it drives so well with it unhooked and what damage I might be doing.

3. I get 48 hours to fix or the wife says the car has to go.

K_Dub 04-29-2009 05:43 PM

Check your air filter. My MAF got coated pretty well from smoke under the hood (long story) getting through my K&N. I cleaned it up, and it ran great, but I still used it as excuse for my lady to upgrade to ECUTune stage 2 with a new MAF. Haven't had a problem since. But if your MAF keeps getting dirty check to make sure it isn't a filthy filter, or torn, allowing your sensor to keep getting coated.

Otherwise, your gremlin seems electrical. Check for condensation on the harness pins as this could also cause some nasty problems.

iowasvx 04-29-2009 05:46 PM

Brand new air filter, stock air box

Nevin 04-29-2009 11:17 PM

Are you getting any codes? Where in Iowa are you, by the way? I too, am from the tall corn state! lol

BoxerFanatic 04-29-2009 11:31 PM

Evidently, from Des Moines, by his For Sale ad...

I feel kinda bad if this is the only reason that such a car gets put out. (unless it makes it to my garage in Boone... j/k :D )

iowasvx 04-30-2009 05:37 AM

Can't pull the codes cause the car is stuck at my house. The problem was only intermittant before I replaced the MAF. The car initially didn't want to start with the remanufactured MAF installed (cranked over 25 times and then sputtered then all of a sudden worked great for 1 1/2 days).

This has to be a bad part. Car did not act like this with the old sensor. I was still driving it daily.

Already paid for the part, not out anything having them send me a new one since this one is crapped out. We'll see.

Sean486 04-30-2009 08:07 AM

Yeah sounds like you got a bad one.

iowasvx 05-01-2009 06:34 PM

New MAF sensor in. All the problems fixed. Frustrating when you are sent a defective part.

Nevin 05-01-2009 11:37 PM

Well, that's good news then! And yeah, that does suck getting a defective part.

essveeexxee 05-02-2009 05:45 AM

10 characters.

iowasvx 05-02-2009 08:12 PM

Autozone online. It was a remanufactured part from cardone.

blue thunder 05-04-2009 09:09 PM

I had this stalling problem, checked the code and it was air flow meter(MAF). I tried to go cheap and get a used one from a salvage yard(never again). I found out it was bad after I broke down and bought a new one from Subaru and it cranked right up.

Mike:)