The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Taillight Issues (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=62466)

SilverSpear 01-19-2014 02:45 PM

Taillight Issues

Things have started to pop up here and there after the hibernation. Just today I discovered that I had no side rear lights and when braking, the secondary bulb lights do not turn on.

Arrived home (nighttime), turned my lights off, ignition off, and the taillights stayed on :eek:

Turned the car on, lights on, lights off, nothing still. Did that like 3-4 times, until the taillights are off along with the car. Weird!

Note that I was checking the lights after I go out of the car, and not doing the stupid mistake of foot on brake pedal or smthg...

What do you guys think?

svxcess 01-19-2014 04:22 PM

Re: Taillight Issues

Could you accidentally pressed the parking light switch on the lower dash panel. The switch with the "P" on it.

If depressed, it turns on the parking lights, front and rear side marker lights, tail lights and license plate, regardless of the position of the ignition switch or whether the key is in the ignition or not.

SilverSpear 01-19-2014 10:15 PM

I know about the P switch John, no that's not it. Part of the taillights (sides in the fenders) are not working. When I push the brake pedal, the secondary lights in the bulbs do not light up either. Really strange...

Sean486 01-20-2014 05:00 AM

Have you tested with a meter?

michael 01-20-2014 05:11 AM

Mine did the same thing a few years ago. I never found the exact cause, but I simply reseated all of the bulbs and it never came back.

wdb 01-20-2014 08:20 AM

Weird electrical gremlins indeed. I'd look for bad grounds and/or bulb oddities such as crossed filaments. They can do strange things to the path the electrons will take.

SilverSpear 01-20-2014 10:42 AM

Tomorrow is SVX day. I will tackle multiple things and will update you all with the progress.
I have a gut feeling that the lights switch of the steering column is malfunctioning.

92 SVX 01-20-2014 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverSpear (Post 731276)
Tomorrow is SVX day. I will tackle multiple things and will update you all with the progress.
I have a gut feeling that the lights switch of the steering column is malfunctioning.

Sorry I could not be more help today, I was out helping a kid with his honda.:eek:

SilverSpear 01-21-2014 12:19 AM

Its ok Gene.
I just had a very sweet morning. Got into my car, turned the ignition and tick tick tick.... battery is dead. Either i have a bad alternator or a serious electrical drain. Happy me...

92 SVX 01-21-2014 04:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverSpear (Post 731289)
Its ok Gene.
I just had a very sweet morning. Got into my car, turned the ignition and tick tick tick.... battery is dead. Either i have a bad alternator or a serious electrical drain. Happy me...

Low battery may be causing those electrical gremlins?

SilverSpear 01-22-2014 10:38 AM

Solution turned out to be stupid. The brake light switch above the pedal needed adjustment. The screws were a bit loose (dunno why). I ended up removing the switch, clean it with a spray electronic contact cleaner and adjusting it to the correct position. Problem fixed.

Blacky 01-22-2014 03:07 PM

Excellent, free and easy, the best kind of repair.