The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Engine Removal??? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=45182)

pearlm30 06-17-2008 08:00 PM

Engine Removal???

Got the shop crane and I would be ready to pull the engine out next week. Did my seach here, didnt really have a step by step instructions(did found trany removal instructions by OT).
Can anyone help? Can it be done by just one person?
Thanks

Dessertrunner 06-18-2008 06:45 AM

Re: Engine Removal???

If you have an engine lift its no big issue. The best approach is do the following and this is pretty rough as I may forget something as well it is slightly different to what others suggest.
- Remove battery,
- Unbolt aircondiator if you don't want to regas you can tye it to the side were the battery was just need to unbol the black lift lug to remove the compressor then bolt it back. This requires you to remove both belts.
- Depending which year model undo the power steer pipes at the pump and unbolt the pipe from the right hand head and let the pipe hang.
- While under there remove plastic sump so you can get to bottom radiator hose and remove it.
- Undo the two engine bolts.
- I like to unbolt the exhaust were the manifold changes to pipe, 2 bolts each side. Don't have to stuff around with heat shields etc.
- disconnect the O2 sesnors 2 of.
- Undo the two engine bolts.
- Move to the top undo top radiator hose from radiator.
- Unplug radiator fans each side of the radiator.
- Unbolt the two bolts each side that hold the radiator retaining bracket. Best to spin them round and bolt the back lose.
- Disconnet the fuel lines 3 of on the left side of the car.
- Remove the two throttle cables.
- Unplug the fuel breath cansister at the front right side of the radiator and remove the bracket to give you more clearance when the engine comes out.
- Remove aircleaner by undoing the hose clamp at the airflow metter end. Undo the two hose clamps on the throttle body. "REMEMBER WHEN REINSTALLING TO NOT FOLD THE HOSE ON THE UNDER SIDE OR THE CAR WILL IDLE HIGH".
- Remove rubber cover from back of engine to get to the four torque converter bolts. Rotate from engine pully to get at the bolts. Once unbolted remember to use a screw drive an leaver it back
- Unplug the main engine wires.
- Attach to the lift point near the rear engine plugs (silver bracket) and the front one the alternator was attached to.
- Now remove the last two engine bolts at the top back of the engine and you are ready to lift.
- Put a jack under the transmision mount to tack some of the weight as you lift the engine and when the engine mount bolts are clear slide the engine forward and up.
- Make sure that the gap that appears between the engine and the transmission is the same top and bottom other wise you will have trouble. Also make sure the torque converter stays with the transmission.

This is rough and written fast so you need to accept it for what its worth, don't bother lifting the intake manifold off untill the engines out as it easier done latter. It should take you about 2 to 3 hours first time. good luck.

Tony

Hocrest 06-18-2008 06:02 PM

Good job Tony, 2 things I see you missed;
-ATF cooling lines (none on your MT ;) ) You can leave the rubber lines connected to the metal tubes and just unbolt the tubes where they are fastened to the bottom of the head.
-Vacuum hose going to the brake booster.

Another thing, I like to use the jack to actually lift the tranny a little bit, not just take some of the weight.

pearlm30 06-18-2008 07:23 PM

Thanks very much.
I am still a little confussed about lifting point of the engine

- Attach to the lift point near the rear engine plugs (silver bracket) and the front one the alternator was attached to

I thought I need to take the alternator out to use a long long extension with 12 mm socket to gain acess to the TC bolts? so after the bolts are loosed, I need to put the alternator back on to lift the engine???:confused:

Also there are 2 undo engine bolts. What is these mean? Undo the engine mount botls first or the engine/trany bolts?

Thanks again, I really appreciate it

Dessertrunner 06-20-2008 05:52 AM

Yes forgot a couple of things thanks for helping. The best way I remember to get to the four bolts on the auto is by removing the power steering pump. If you remove the alternator you can still leave the black bracket that it attaches to. If you want to keep the gas in the AC you will have to take this bracket out then put it after shift the compressor to the side.
I will try to get a photo for you. The 2 bolts underneath are the ones that bolt the engine onto the cross member. Look in the cut out in the sub frame and you will see them there.
Tony