The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Windshield Washer Motor + arm stripped. HELP! (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24532)

zavikan 02-16-2005 06:36 PM

Windshield Washer Motor + arm stripped. HELP!

Ok, my wipers got lose, and me being me, I didn't get them tightened.( I moved and dont have tools here yet). When ever I got someplace that I could, I forgot. and 4 days later (and 4 days of forgetting they were broken and trying to clean my windshield), I removed both of my wiper arms to find that both the arm and the top of the motor, were COMPLETELY stripped out. I feel like a complete idiot. Now I don't have wipers. help help help. Do I need to replace the entire motor b/c of the top part being stripped out? What do I need to do this job? Anyone with a parts car? For the record....(I play this card to much... but every time I have, its been true.)...I barely moved away from home. Im 19. I have little to nothing to live on. I love my car more then life.

lee 02-16-2005 08:33 PM

Although it doesn't really fix the problem, Rain-X (or it's generic equivalent) would be my choice until you can afford a permanent fix

n00b on demand 02-16-2005 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by lee
Although it doesn't really fix the problem, Rain-X (or it's generic equivalent) would be my choice until you can afford a permanent fix
Rain-x is really only good if you drive on the highway....with city driving and low speeds it doesnt do a whole lot.

red95svx 02-17-2005 09:50 AM

Your motor is fine. The wipers don't attach directly to the motor, they attach to linkages that attach to the motor. Maybe someone with a parts car will sell you a linkage assembly.

Dave

want-a-fast-svx 02-17-2005 10:12 AM

I have no clue if how they attach but is it possible to get a tap and die and put new threads on there? or is it attached another way.? just a thought...

kuoh 02-17-2005 10:37 AM

They're not so much "threads" as they are "teeth", like on a gear. Since both surfaces are stripped, you can't just cut new teeth. The quick and dirty methods would be to either wedge something thin in between and hope there's enough friction to hold or use JB weld. A more elegant solution would be to cut a couple of slots and use something like a gear key to wedge and lock the arm, but then you lose adjustability.

KuoH

Rob 02-17-2005 02:11 PM

Duct tape???

zavikan 02-18-2005 11:59 AM

ok ok ok

I don't have real computer access anymore. I have to go to the library, so sorry I dont reply faster.

I put a WTB in the forsale/buy section, and asked for directions on how to change the linkage. I'm also asking here.....How do I change the linkage?

IwantaSVX 02-18-2005 12:17 PM

www.allforeignautoparts.com

$25 for the wiper linkage. They have 3 in stock. One has 37K miles, another with 61K miles, and the last one has over 100K.

I have the parts too but I'm assuming it will be a PITA to package and ship.