The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Not Exactly SVX (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Canine Central Vestibular Disease (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=53138)

michael 02-13-2010 09:18 AM

Canine Central Vestibular Disease

I'm hoping someone has had some experience with this disease. My dog Kahlua was diagnosed with vestibular a month ago and it has gotten worse after treatment. She had a seizure last night and spent the night in the emergency clinic. We have to have an MRI and LP done to find out if there is anything we can do to help her. If anyone has gone this far please help me.

SVXyGirl 02-13-2010 10:39 AM

Re: Canine Central Vestibular Disease

Sorry to hear about your dog. My fathers dog had this happen a couple years ago. We thought she was going to die, but she is still alive and with us (almost 17 years old! :eek:) Aside from being wobbly, she's doing just fine.

This page should help explain.

I should add that within a week or so she was back on her feet. Still wobbly. It has been nearly 2 years since it happened.

Hondasucks 02-15-2010 10:11 PM

Sorry to hear about your doggie :( It's so hard when our four legged furry friends are sick, cuz they can't tell us what's wrong :(

ensteele 02-16-2010 12:52 AM

I am sorry to hear about your dog. They are truely Man's best friend (and women too) :) :) It is all about unconditional love.

Trevor 02-16-2010 02:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michael (Post 634576)
I'm hoping someone has had some experience with this disease. My dog Kahlua was diagnosed with vestibular a month ago and it has gotten worse after treatment. She had a seizure last night and spent the night in the emergency clinic. We have to have an MRI and LP done to find out if there is anything we can do to help her. If anyone has gone this far please help me.

Kia ora Michael,

With a name like Kahlua your dog is almost a kiwi. Just did a google --- not a nice condition. I trust all will turn out well, but if not, here are a few sincere thoughts which may help. ----

I am an animal person and have had several dogs over many years. You get extremely attached, but you must remain practical from all points of view. After a long harrowing period, I had to have my last very dear dog "Luke" put down and know the heart ache involved.

You must consider the cost/benefit which applies and who a probable bottomless debt will effect. Secondly and very important, unless the suggested cure is quick, absolute, and stress free, is it in the best interests of your pet?

Fingers crossed. :)

Sadly, Trevor.

michael 02-16-2010 04:35 PM

Thanks for the kind words. There is really nothing we can do from here out. Any type of brain surgery would ruin her quality of life, so we are going to enjoy what time we have. Aside from not being able to go down stairs she can get around still, eat, drink, pee and play some. I guess time will tell, please pray for her. She has ups and downs and nothing is written in stone as to the cause of this without an MRI so I pray every day.

Hocrest 02-16-2010 08:13 PM

Michael, sorry to hear...

I met Kahlua the one time, seemed like a real cool dog...

subi-crosser 02-17-2010 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michael (Post 635008)
Thanks for the kind words. There is really nothing we can do from here out. Any type of brain surgery would ruin her quality of life, so we are going to enjoy what time we have. Aside from not being able to go down stairs she can get around still, eat, drink, pee and play some. I guess time will tell, please pray for her. She has ups and downs and nothing is written in stone as to the cause of this without an MRI so I pray every day.

Sorry!!
I took Louie, my Killer Chili-wow-wow in for a some 'maintenance' 2 weeks ago. Other than bad breath, I had no idea that there was a problem.

Louie is NOT one to let you clip his nails or open his mouth.
Dr sedated him for his 'proceedure', so He decided to look him over good.
He has 'Advanced gum desease' and this resulted in 4 extractions of teeth, some gum surgery and a pin being installed in his jaws because of BONES eating away! The pin will keep things where they belong till the healing could happen!

If he had not been there for something else, We wouldn't have found this till it was TOO LATE!!
Now he has trouble sitting and eating, but he's back to his 'Old' self!!
A grouchy, Hummingbird-sized Timber Wolf!

He's an A$$hole, but I love the little $hit!!