The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   HELP!! SVX wont start (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=13980)

Jim SVX 10-24-2003 03:20 PM

HELP!! SVX wont start

I tried to start my SVX this morning and when I tured the key, it did absolutly nothing. The lights came on, but there was no sign of the starter trying to turn the motor. I tried jumping it, but that did nothing. What is the next step from here? Should I be looking at the starter, or is there another area I should be looking at. I am new to this car, so I am not aware of common problems with it. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Shot king 10-24-2003 03:39 PM

Have ya tryed cleanin the terminals yet? Alot of times theres enought juice for the lights and such to come one but not enough for the starter.

Aredubjay 10-24-2003 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Shot king
Have ya tryed cleanin the terminals yet? Alot of times theres enought juice for the lights and such to come one but not enough for the starter.
That was gonna be my suggestion also, Shot. I've had it happen in BOTH my SVXes.

After that, make sure your Gear Selector has engaged the safety switch and that you have put your foot on the brake before trying to start it (I forgot the engage the brake once, car didn't start, I freaked, until I realized what I had done -- or, hadn't done, for that matter). :)

SHISVX 10-24-2003 04:50 PM

i know this is weird, but i had the same thing happen to me. it was my battery. i even tried to jump start the thing and it didn't work, put a new battery and never had a problem....i know that is weird...hrm....long shot i guess...could it be the selinoid thingy? i had that problem with my ol' probe

Kelli

Shot king 10-24-2003 07:11 PM

Kelli , i guess anythings possible but since he said his lights came on i would be more inclined to clean the terminals and connections and as Randy said check to make sure the neutral safety switch is engaged. Plus it does'nt cost a thing and they probably need it anyway.;)

Shot king 10-25-2003 04:29 PM

Any luck Jim:confused:

Jim SVX 10-25-2003 04:32 PM

Still no start

I tested the battery myself, it looked bad. I took it to autozone and they tested it, and it was dead. So I bought a new one, but it in, and still the car doesnt make any effort to start. Is there sometihng I have to reprogram after changing the battery? If not, I have heard something about a selonid problem. How can I check to see if this is the problem I have? Thank you in advance for your help.

Jim SVX 10-25-2003 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Shot king
Any luck Jim:confused:
wow, i was typing my message while you where asking me if I had any luck. Weird timing