The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Back again with my fuel consumption? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=48127)

maxg765 12-22-2008 10:22 PM

Back again with my fuel consumption?

Hello All,

So here's my update.

I filled it to the top and reset the trip counter.

After 200 miles in snowy conditions here in Montreal with mixed highway and city driving I got to what I thought was the end of my tank. The needle was just below the E mark. I have however never seen that so called low fuel light come on that I am suppose to have. I decided today not chance it any further and fill up. To the top with some squeezing in after it stopped only allowed me to put in 55.4 liters or 14.6 US Gallons. From what I was told last time the tank holds 70 Liters or 18 US Gallons.

I guess my gauge is some what off and thats why the low fuel light has yet to come on. I also think that its still getting poor millage as I think at that rate even if the gauge was fixed and I was able to have a more true reading I would only have gotten another 50 miles. That would still only yield a total of 250 miles on a tank. I feel thats low.

Regards

Max

SuberNatural 12-22-2008 10:27 PM

Re: Back again with my fuel consumption?

250 is pretty accurate for the winter... Warming up your car, etc... really kills your mileage.

I was getting between 325-375 during the summer. I also usually put in 15 gallons. 16.4 or so when i push it lol

odepaj 12-23-2008 03:35 AM

It is infact an 18.5 gallon tank.

But the needle is alittle off. It will go all the way below the letter "E" (ask me how I know :o ).

With still having 4 gallons left in the tank, you were good for nearly another 100 miles!

It's just a weird quirk that all of our cars have. You get used to it though.

Dustin

Clydesvx 12-23-2008 04:27 AM

You're lucky if your fuel gauge works at all!! Mine hasn't in the past 75,000 miles.

odepaj 12-23-2008 04:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clydesvx (Post 578442)
You're lucky if your fuel gauge works at all!! Mine hasn't in the past 75,000 miles.

Check the connections on the cover to the pump. It's most likely that it just came undone.

Dustin

Clydesvx 12-23-2008 04:30 AM

I'll give it a try, but with my mileage I'm surprised that anything still works!!!

dcarrb 12-23-2008 05:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxg765 (Post 578434)
I guess my gauge is some what off and thats why the low fuel light has yet to come on.

Same question, same answer: You cannot accurately calculate fuel mileage using the fuel gauge. Do this:

1) Fill the tank.
2) Reset the trip odometer.
3) Drive.
4) Fill the tank again, making note of how much fuel it holds 'til the pump clicks off.
5) Divide the miles driven by the gallons/liters pumped. That's your true fuel economy. (For example, if you drove 250 miles and the tank held 10 gallons, that's 25 MPG.)

The fuel gauge is simply a "time to buy more" reminder.

dcb

IceBlade 12-23-2008 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxg765 (Post 578434)
Hello All,

So here's my update.

I filled it to the top and reset the trip counter.

After 200 miles in snowy conditions here in Montreal with mixed highway and city driving I got to what I thought was the end of my tank. The needle was just below the E mark. I have however never seen that so called low fuel light come on that I am suppose to have. I decided today not chance it any further and fill up. To the top with some squeezing in after it stopped only allowed me to put in 55.4 liters or 14.6 US Gallons. From what I was told last time the tank holds 70 Liters or 18 US Gallons.

I guess my gauge is some what off and thats why the low fuel light has yet to come on. I also think that its still getting poor millage as I think at that rate even if the gauge was fixed and I was able to have a more true reading I would only have gotten another 50 miles. That would still only yield a total of 250 miles on a tank. I feel thats low.

Regards

Max

I've never put more than 55 litres in either. Your indicator light should still work though. Mine flashes when the needle gets around 1/4 of a tank left. It comes on a little while later just above the E.

Wikedjuggalo 12-23-2008 08:23 AM

Mine can go way below E and I will still have 3-4 Gallons left in their. Most I have ever put in there with light is 14 Gallons. And that was after the light had been on and it was far below E. I didnt think it could go that far :D :lol:

Zandar 12-23-2008 08:24 AM

The fuel gauge is a horrid liar. When I hit "E", I still have ~1/4 tank left.

And yes, your winter mileage will be lower. I get high teens in the winter, and mid to high twenties in the summer (depending on how much freeway driving I'm doing).

Manarius 12-23-2008 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zandar (Post 578479)
The fuel gauge is a horrid liar. When I hit "E", I still have ~1/4 tank left.

And yes, your winter mileage will be lower. I get high teens in the winter, and mid to high twenties in the summer (depending on how much freeway driving I'm doing).

Heck, with mine...my gauge shows E at about 5 gallons left. My fuel gauge is just a reminder for me to not go too far :lol:

cozykat 12-23-2008 10:20 AM

I will sit on the E for a while before my light turns on.. normally right around 14.995 is when my light comes on. Just watching on it sit on the E can be unnerving when you first own the car.. with my parents SUV.. when it hits E you better be in the gas station...

side note: I was getting terrible fuel consumption (17mpg) this winter but then I remembered to change my air filter.. lol

shelfy 12-23-2008 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cozykat (Post 578500)
with my parents SUV.. when it hits E you better be in the gas station...

is it a jeep grand cherokee? i had two of those and i had like 10-15 miles to find a gas station. :(

wyldnwoody44 01-14-2009 09:12 AM

Indeed, My legacy and my svx both have the same gas gauge problem. Which actually isnt much of a problem at all, it really takes the freaking out about gas outta the equation, I think maybe subaru did this purposley to their cars so you dont run outta gas, in my ranger when the light hits E i have maybe 20 miles or im SOL

SoCal LS-L 01-14-2009 07:08 PM

At least your guys gauges just lie to you, mine likes to be a total jerk and drop from just over a half tank to E in about 30 seconds. It will do this off and on until I hit about 1/4 an actual tank then register ok. I about had a fatal heart attack the first time, on the way to Reno when it did that 25 miles past the sign that said "Next gas 65 miles". I think maybe the sending unit is going but I havent ruled out my SVX is just screwing with me :tard: