The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   they're coming faster and faster... (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=10324)

lee 04-26-2003 06:39 PM

they're coming faster and faster...

...problems that is.

Yesterday, I was out with my wife in the SVX, when she was putting her window up it made a terrible noise. I could hear the motor turn, but no window movement.

But before I could get home to investigate, all the dash lights (you know the one's: battery, ABS, etc) came on. They went off at idle, and came back with any engine speed above idle.

Sure enough, alternator died. Just finished that change out and a short test drive. Went local rebuilder, cost $127.14 (including sales tax) with a 2-year warranty.

Guess tomorrow the door panel comes off....I'm suspecting the clip after doing a mini-search...

Landshark 04-26-2003 06:46 PM

after reading a thread about dash light replacement the other day, i found out this morning that my "D" light in the dash is dead. :mad:

"May you be on the road a half hour before the SVX gremlins know you left!"

Earthworm 04-26-2003 06:57 PM

Sounds like the window clip to me. It really is a horrible sound to hear!

wasions 04-26-2003 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Landshark
after reading a thread about dash light replacement the other day, i found out this morning that my "D" light in the dash is dead. :mad:

"May you be on the road a half hour before the SVX gremlins know you left!"

That same light is out on mine - has been for a year. Why that light, and no other? :confused:

Earthworm 04-26-2003 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by wasions

That same light is out on mine - has been for a year. Why that light, and no other? :confused:

I'm willing to wager that while your car is running it spends the majority of it's time in "D" ;) :D

Landshark 04-27-2003 04:44 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Earthworm
I'm willing to wager that while your car is running it spends the majority of it's time in "D" ;) :D
thank you, Mr. Obvious. ;) :D

Beav 04-27-2003 06:54 AM

My 'D' lamp was out also. I just swapped it for the '1' lamp. (O.K., I'm a cheap SOB) :)

lee 04-27-2003 05:40 PM

and the fun never stops

As a follow-up.

It was the alternator and that is fixed.

It is the clip on the window. I will order a couple tomorrow, made a quick fix to keep the window up until the parts arrive. Just have to make sure I don't hit the wrong power window button.

Now I think I have a bad CV joint. On a sharp right turn I get the telltale clicks. I looked at the axle and the boot isn't torn, but everything else seems OK so I have no idea what it could be but the CV joint. If other shave suggestions, I'm open. It only happens on a sharp right turn, like a 90 degree turn from a side street out onto another road.

Be ordering an axle soon I guess.

mbtoloczko 04-28-2003 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Beav
My 'D' lamp was out also. I just swapped it for the '1' lamp. (O.K., I'm a cheap SOB) :)
My solution will be to put in a 5 speed tranny. It looks like it will be less work than replacing the light for the "D" in the dash. :-)

foresvx 04-28-2003 07:14 PM

No "D" for me either, but it's o.k.

My "D" light has been out for almost 5 years, and over 100,000 miles. I have never thought about replacing it.

But I am one of those people who is really bothered by lots of cabin light [especially dash light] at night. I always have the dash lights as dim as possible.

I have seen some people driving with enough dash light to be able to clearly see who they are. :D

When the "D" light went out, that was just fine with me. It it right in the middle of the dash and always bothered me.

Landshark 04-29-2003 04:34 AM

Re: No "D" for me either, but it's o.k.

Quote:

Originally posted by foresvx
My "D" light has been out for almost 5 years, and over 100,000 miles. I have never thought about replacing it.

But I am one of those people who is really bothered by lots of cabin light [especially dash light] at night. I always have the dash lights as dim as possible.

I have seen some people driving with enough dash light to be able to clearly see who they are. :D

When the "D" light went out, that was just fine with me. It it right in the middle of the dash and always bothered me.

i'm not in a rush to replace mine, either, since i'm driving in '3' about 80% of the time. i've always had my illumination set to one click above the lowest setting so i could extend the life of the instrument bulbs. :rolleyes:

benebob 04-29-2003 06:34 AM

Drive Light

Oh you mean that D thing has a light to?:D Mine has been out since I got the car 4 years ago! I did get hassled once at inspection about it not working but they let it slide. I told them I have the light in the glove box but the passed it anyway. I actually don't think they wanted to try to replace it.:D

Landshark 04-29-2003 07:36 AM

Re: Drive Light

Quote:

Originally posted by benebob
Oh you mean that D thing has a light to?:D Mine has been out since I got the car 4 years ago! I did get hassled once at inspection about it not working but they let it slide. I told them I have the light in the glove box but the passed it anyway. I actually don't think they wanted to try to replace it.:D
are they THAT hard to replace? i though Lwin pulls out his instrument cluster every weekend? :)

benebob 04-29-2003 07:43 AM

Drive light

Not a clue on how hard it is to replace. Its just not worth it to me until at least 2 lights go.:D I've taken the cluster out on my Brat and that was a real time comsuming event. It wasn't difficult, just time consuming.

JakeSVX 04-29-2003 08:21 PM

I have two guage clusters and the "D" is out on both. I tried switching the bulbs and the guage clusters but the "D" still doesn't light.