The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   So I did the TPS adjustment the other week... (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=26855)

CigarJohnny 06-18-2005 09:10 PM

So I did the TPS adjustment the other week...

and I think the TPS may be bad. Had ben reading the thread by Chike and Tom on adjusting the TPS to read 0.50 volts at idle with all the accessories turned off. I had been having a problem with my SVX, ever since I've had it, with high idle speeds. It always idled between 1300 and 2500 rpm. I removed the TPS and cleaned it with carb cleaner, working it back and forth to clean the contacts and innerds, and reinstalled it. It made some improvement in response but none in idle speed. I then connected my digital voltmeter as instructed by Tom (svxfiles) and adjusted the TPS to read 0.50 volts at idle. Checked my RPMs and the thing is idling at 1800rpm. I drove it a bit to see if it would settle but it didn't. It did run great though. Finally fed up with the high idle, I simply turned down the TPS untill it idled as low as I can get it to idle which is only 1100 rpm. Now it has a nasty hesitation just off idle and the engine seems to have no power until the revs hit a point then it jumps like a race horse out of it's gate. Makes it real tough to drive it smoothly. I hate the thought of adjusting it back to .50 volts because I just can't take the damed racing of the engine at every stop loght or traffic jam. Any helpful suggestions out there?

The TPS on this SVX is different than on my original SVX. It is a tan color and much thicker and clunkier looking. Almost as if it came from an Impreza or Legacy. Can any Subaru model TPS sensor be used on the SVX or must it be a specific part#? As I understand it there is no way to adjust the idle since it is controlled by the ECU and data from the TPS sensor mainly.

Johnny

SVXRide 06-18-2005 09:56 PM

Try cleaning it with electrical contact cleaner (available at Radio Shack)- use the straw that comes with it so you can spray it right in the small hole on the underside of the TPS. The carb cleaner isn't going to do the job. I'm not sure if the TPSes are interchangeable - you might want to see about getting a TPS off of a junk yard motor and seeing what happens - .5VDC is the magical number!
-Bill

lee 06-18-2005 10:00 PM

Have you checked the IAC, etc? I would hate for you to buy a new TPS (expensive little buggers) just to find it didn't fix the problem. If it can be adjusted to 0.5V - AND - it's idling high, then it's not likely to be the TPS. As I understand it, TPS errors occur as you move through the throttle range and encounter bad resistive sections, thus fooling the ECU into thinking the throttle position is somewhere it isn't.

mbtoloczko 06-18-2005 11:12 PM

You could try grounding the "neutral" position pin on the ECU. I had occasionally problems with high idle before I grounded the neutral pin. No problems now.

SubaSteevo 06-18-2005 11:29 PM

Aren't all the SVX TPSs black?

immortal_suby 06-19-2005 07:58 AM

I have a spare TPS from the motor I bought from Todd. PM me your mailing address and it's yours. I have never tested it or anything but have no reason to think that it would be bad. The motor had around 100k on it.

CigarJohnny 06-19-2005 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BurgundyBeast
Aren't all the SVX TPSs black?

That's what I thought, too. :confused:

CigarJohnny 06-19-2005 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lee
Have you checked the IAC, etc? I would hate for you to buy a new TPS (expensive little buggers) just to find it didn't fix the problem. If it can be adjusted to 0.5V - AND - it's idling high, then it's not likely to be the TPS. As I understand it, TPS errors occur as you move through the throttle range and encounter bad resistive sections, thus fooling the ECU into thinking the throttle position is somewhere it isn't.

:confused: What the heck is an "IAC"? :D

subeman90 06-19-2005 09:38 AM

IAC= idle air control valve. not sure of its location...but someone else can tell you.

immortal_suby 06-19-2005 09:55 AM

There's a thread on here where someone cleaned the IAC. I'll see if I can dig it up.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...ight=IAC+clean

CigarJohnny 06-19-2005 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by immortal_suby
There's a thread on here where someone cleaned the IAC. I'll see if I can dig it up.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...ight=IAC+clean

Thanks for the link! :)

CigarJohnny 06-19-2005 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by immortal_suby
I have a spare TPS from the motor I bought from Todd. PM me your mailing address and it's yours. I have never tested it or anything but have no reason to think that it would be bad. The motor had around 100k on it.

Sent you a PM. ;)

CigarJohnny 06-19-2005 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbtoloczko
You could try grounding the "neutral" position pin on the ECU. I had occasionally problems with high idle before I grounded the neutral pin. No problems now.

I think I recall reading that from a different thread not long ago. I will have to dig that up again. If I remember correctly you mentioned which pin to ground. Thanks! :)

svxfiles 06-19-2005 10:23 AM

Hi Johnny,
It can take a while for the idle to settle after TPS replacement, and if you need, I have another. Maybe I can install it for you at Hagerstown on the 25th? IU'll bring the Subaru Select Moniter!!! :D :D

:)

SVXRide 06-19-2005 12:03 PM

Tom creates a new word....

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxfiles
Hi Johnny,
It can take a while for the idle to settle after TPS replacement, and if you need, I have another. Maybe I can install it for you at Hagerstown on the 25th? IU'll bring the Subaru Select Moniter!!! :D :D

:)

IU'll ??? just how many OJ and rums have you had to celebrate Father's Day?? :D :D :D
-Bill