The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Tranny fluid supply lines (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=31425)

dwd1985 02-08-2006 06:36 PM

Tranny fluid supply lines

Finally got around to installing my permacool tranny filter, and in the process, ran into a small problem. The instructions say, quote, "Locate the transmission fluid lines. They can be found running from the transmission to the bottom or the side of the radiator. Determine which is the supply line (pressure hose) by starting the engine and feeling both transmission fluid lines. The warmer line is the supply line." Well while under the car, looking forward towards the bumper, there are 3 lines going into the radiator. I really did not feel like sitting under the car with the engine on, and I tired letting it run, and then jacking it up again, but felt no significant difference in temperature. So can someone who has put on their own filter let me know which hose they figured it out to be? Looking forward towards the bumper, is it the drivers side, the center hose, or the passenger side?

Budfreak 02-08-2006 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dwd1985
Finally got around to installing my permacool tranny filter, and in the process, ran into a small problem. The instructions say, quote, "Locate the transmission fluid lines. They can be found running from the transmission to the bottom or the side of the radiator. Determine which is the supply line (pressure hose) by starting the engine and feeling both transmission fluid lines. The warmer line is the supply line." Well while under the car, looking forward towards the bumper, there are 3 lines going into the radiator. I really did not feel like sitting under the car with the engine on, and I tired letting it run, and then jacking it up again, but felt no significant difference in temperature. So can someone who has put on their own filter let me know which hose they figured it out to be? Looking forward towards the bumper, is it the drivers side, the center hose, or the passenger side?

Did it have the factory filter? if so the supply line is the one going into the filter from the tranny. If not, there should be only 2 small rubber lines coming off the bottom of the radiator. Take one off and watch it as someone starts the car for just a sec. and if fluid comes out of the radiator it's the return line, if it comes from the line, then that is the supply line. I would check on my car for you, But it's been snowing all day and the car is covered. good luck:)

ensteele 02-08-2006 09:55 PM

Well, I would bet my pennies to your dollars that you didn't look in the How-To Documents for the answer or you would have found it. :eek:

Look at this picture for your answer. The fluid goes from the transmission into the passenger side of the radiator and back out of the drivers side which goes to an external filter, or back to the transmission. Good luck. :)

dwd1985 02-08-2006 10:52 PM

Yes, I did look in the how-to's, I always do before attempting to fix something or install something on my SVX. I saw that picture, but until now, did not realize that it was looking down on the path, and not from the side. It hit me all of a sudden as I was looking at it, when I noticed the radiator cap on the pic. That makes sense to me now. Thanks.

oab_au 02-09-2006 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ensteele
Well, I would bet my pennies to your dollars that you didn't look in the How-To Documents for the answer or you would have found it. :eek:

Look at this picture for your answer. The fluid goes from the transmission into the passenger side of the radiator and back out of the drivers side which goes to an external filter, or back to the transmission. Good luck. :)

Nice diagram, but I again disagree with the placement of the air cooled unit after the radiator. The air cooled unit should be before the radiator to remove the most heat, then run through the radiator to stabilize the temperature to the 80C/176F that the trans needs to operate properly.

With the air cooled unit last, it can cool the ATF lower than 80C/176F. The trans then will unlock the converter, to allow the torque converter to operate, to raise the temperature to the desired 80C/176F. If on a cold day, it cools down to 10C/50F, it will change back to 3rd. So fuel consumption will increase.

Harvey.;)

ensteele 02-09-2006 05:00 PM

I used that picture so that it would show the flow. That is one choice of doing the cooler and the others are shown in the How-Tos as well. It shows in series, parallel, and a cople of others. :)

oab_au 02-09-2006 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ensteele
I used that picture so that it would show the flow. That is one choice of doing the cooler and the others are shown in the How-Tos as well. It shows in series, parallel, and a cople of others. :)

Ah yes I see them now, unfortunately none, are the way that I suggested.:p

Harvey.;)

ensteele 02-09-2006 06:36 PM

I thought I had one pic of that in there. I will look around and find it. :)