The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Valve body swap? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=5024)

elninoalex 07-22-2002 06:14 PM

Valve body swap?

How hard is it to swap a valve body from one tranny to another? It is not necessary to remove the tranny, is it? Is this something a home mechanic can do? I have replaced clutches in manuals, but have never touched an AT. I want to pull my Level 10 valve body off my wreck and put it on my new purchase. Thanks.

Stephen

Stevebsy 07-23-2002 06:38 AM

Yes you can do it

It can be done w/o removing the tranny. If you have the shop manuals, the procedure is there. Otherwise, call Pat at level 10 and I'm sure he will give you some pointers.

elninoalex 07-23-2002 11:17 AM

Thanks dude.

svx_commuter 07-25-2002 07:45 AM

I talked to a guy in Canada that did this. The hard part is keeping the accumulators in place when the valve body is out.

cbx-man 08-20-2002 11:43 AM

I removed & replaced mine myself using the factory manuals. I would be willing to fax you the pages needed if you are interested. What I did to keep everything correct was to draw the valve body layout onto corrugated and then put the corresponding bolts into the proper place on the "map". There are 2 different lengths of bolts. The 3 solenoid shift springs will fall out but if you use a dab of vaseline it will allow the springs to stick to the flat surface until you slide them into their pockets. No worry of getting them in the wrong place- all 3 different. Unplug the electronic thingie and be careful not to pinch it when re-installing. Torque the bolts to about 6 ft/lbs - use a 1/4 " drive torque wrench and convert to inch/lbs and do in 2 steps (like torqing a head)

Kaline 05-04-2006 05:03 AM

Manual on Dropping the valve body

Would anyone be willing to scan the factory service manual pages that cover a valve body drop? I need to do one on my '92 SVX AWD to do some repairs on the trans. I would appreciate the help, as I don't have a factory service manual.

SVX-FF 05-04-2006 05:56 AM

Stephen,

If your wreck has a Level 10 valve body is the tranny a Level 10 too?
If it is you would be much better off wrapping the whole tranny and not just the valve body.

Steve

Kaline 05-04-2006 07:21 AM

AWD Auto Trans Valve Body

I do not have a spare transmission and I need to re-install the parking pawl mechanism (long story with broken parts is how the mechanism came out). It appears the only way to re-install it is to drop the valve body. My problem is similiar to the original post (which is why I did not start a new post)

UPDATE: CBX-MAN scanned the pages from the factory service manual for me and I was able to drop the valve body. You definately need the diagram to know which bolts you need to remove and what the installation torque is (very low). I can share these pages if anyone needs them!