The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Subaru SVX Recalls??? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=41164)

Mr.EG33 10-08-2007 08:02 PM

Subaru SVX Recalls???

:confused::confused:I heard from a friend that if there is recalls on a car weater or not if you bought it new or not that the dealership would have to fix all the issues for you for free by law?? Just being the owner gives you this right? If true that thats really awesome!!! ;) But the thing is I need help with a list of recalls - I own a 92 SVX LSL

Thank you for any info provided

SVX rules!!!!!!!! :D

Crazy_pilot 10-08-2007 08:04 PM

I don't think there are any outstanding recalls on the SVX. And I have a feeling that even if there are, Subaru isn't going to hand them over after 15 years.

It's Just Eric 10-08-2007 08:04 PM

mmm..the external tranny filter is the only recall, if I recall correctly. The solution is to remove it, something the dealership would make a big deal out of. Your best bet, however, is to simply put a tranny cooler, or a diffrent filter in its place

jeffast 10-08-2007 08:08 PM

they should recall them all for premptive transmission failure, and install new ones for free

NiftySVX 10-08-2007 09:15 PM

That was a customer service bulletin, not a recall. There were/have never been any recalls on the SVX. If there were, subaru would fix them at any point unless the car is distroyed, that's the law.

Mr.EG33 10-08-2007 09:36 PM

Quote:

That was a customer service bulletin, not a recall. There were/have never been any recalls on the SVX. If there were, subaru would fix them at any point unless the car is distroyed, that's the law.
So is there really a difference (Ive never did a recall before but hey why not give it a try)

There is recalls on almost every car(I think?). I did see a recall list (big) about a week a week and a half ago but @ the time I was chasing a problem on why only 2 cylinders were firing thats why I didnt pay much attention! I havent found it again now that I figured that issue out (I only looked for about 15min) but the nhtsa posts alot of recalls and @ least by US law supposelly they HAVE to fix the issue no matter how old the car is as long as your the owner.... I will take the SVX to Subaru dealership (weater its true or not) and let everyone know if it works or not, but I just need to find the recall list. Every car has a list.

Im just tryin to help, not only me but everyone because we all love these beautiful cars thats life was cut short due to no realization on how bad a$$ this car can be. The SVX has alot of poteintial and are beautiful :D

Thank you all for your responces & all of you are great, Im just a newbie but Im 24 and have loved cars forever so all Im looking for is direction with my new project :o

nextse7en 10-08-2007 09:54 PM

Hey mang... It would be awesome, but there has never been a recall, and never will be a recall on the SVX, ever.

The good news is, this forces you to learn how to work on it yourself!

And learning to work on these yourself forces you to make friends on the board, and that, sir, is an excellent thing.

-Patrick

Mr.EG33 10-08-2007 10:12 PM

Quote:

Hey mang... It would be awesome, but there has never been a recall, and never will be a recall on the SVX, ever.

The good news is, this forces you to learn how to work on it yourself!

And learning to work on these yourself forces you to make friends on the board, and that, sir, is an excellent thing.

-Patrick
I agree I just thought maybe i could get some easy fixes, but you are correct I need all of you :o But hey that is interesting that there has never been a recall on the SVX! On alot of sites I did notice that the SVX's werent even listed WTF I thought LOL :confused: (hence your thought :))

Althought next week Ill fix the water pump as well as the crankshaft relucter! and after that I need all of you to help me with with mods to make it even more bad ass then it is :D

Thank you all again for the info that you've provided, I one day will have her as beautiful as everyones elses is.... Illl never give up on her

THE SVX ROCKS!!! :D

-Sean

ensteele 10-08-2007 11:17 PM

There are many easy fixes and easy maintenance procedures that will help lots. Good luck. :) :)

dcarrb 10-09-2007 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by It's Just Eric (Post 498734)
mmm..the external tranny filter is the only recall, if I recall correctly. The solution is to remove it, something the dealership would make a big deal out of. Your best bet, however, is to simply put a tranny cooler, or a diffrent filter in its place

I thought it was the other way around; that the "campaign" filter was a dealer-installed Subaru initiative to correct the problem of the ATF cooler in the radiator from being plugged-up by debris lodging in the screen inside the cooler tubing.

dcb

AlcyoneDaze 10-09-2007 08:45 AM

How did Subaru get away with equipping these cars with defective automatic transmissions? maybe we could start a letter writing campaign to have them recall the 4EAT and install 5-speeds in their place :D

NiftySVX 10-09-2007 11:46 AM

Reman Trans. People.... why they did it.

It would have to be a safety issue for the government to step in and force a recall. The transmission problem is really not that bad, and they fixed it by the 94 model year. The transmission is failure prone, but much less so than many others (read:chrysler) The real way to fix the transmission is to install a remanufactured transmission. They are remanufactured with all the updates in place to prevent the high clutch failure. This is why they are available for 1992-1994 model years at a relatively low cost, (but aren't listed for later years) so that the transmission can be replaced with one that includes all the updates. Simply rebuilding a 1992-1993 transmission is not enough to stop the failures, unless you replace it with the updated parts, like the new high clutch drum, etc. They have taken steps to help us out, I can tell you what they have done in making available that reman is in no way a good financial decision for them. I bet they loose money on every unit they sell.

SVXRide 10-09-2007 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NiftySVX (Post 498910)
It would have to be a safety issue for the government to step in and force a recall. The transmission problem is really not that bad, and they fixed it by the 94 model year. The transmission is failure prone, but much less so than many others (read:chrysler) The real way to fix the transmission is to install a remanufactured transmission. They are remanufactured with all the updates in place to prevent the high clutch failure. This is why they are available for 1992-1994 model years at a relatively low cost, (but aren't listed for later years) so that the transmission can be replaced with one that includes all the updates. Simply rebuilding a 1992-1993 transmission is not enough to stop the failures, unless you replace it with the updated parts, like the new high clutch drum, etc. They have taken steps to help us out, I can tell you what they have done in making available that reman is in no way a good financial decision for them. I bet they loose money on every unit they sell.

Nifty,
Good point! Who does the majority of the Subaru reman work, Jasper?
-Bill

Brian 10-10-2007 08:48 PM

I just had my Inspection done last weekend, and the garage's computer printed out:

"Transmission rear cross-member - service caution"

They suggested I call "Subaru recalls".

But based on the posts in this thread, it seems like that would be a waste of time.

SVeXy96 10-11-2007 03:44 PM

My carfax report has an entry for a fsctory recall so apparently there has been one issued. I forget what is was for since it said it had already been fixed on mine I didn't really care but I'm sure if you call a dealership they have to have lists of all recalls for all yrs makes and models