The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   5mt wiring help (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=37653)

LiquidForce 02-25-2007 12:19 PM

5mt wiring help

I have read through the directions on how to wire up the clutch pedal/neutral switch but I am not quite following it.

from Tom's write up

53. Place 2 female connectors on the ends of 2 lengths of wire. Plug them into the upper neutral safety switch on the brake/clutch pedal assembly. Route the wires over to the auto wiring harness where they will be spliced into the Blue/White and Black/Yellow wires (right next to each other) This will allow for you to start the car when the clutch pedal is depressed.

Are the Blue/White and Black/Yellow wires on tcu harness connections or the ecu harness connectors? Anyone have a picture?

ensteele 02-25-2007 02:10 PM

Maybe Tom can answer your question. I am sure he will see this post. :)

LiquidForce 02-25-2007 02:30 PM

I found the plug. I had tucked it away about a year ago and forgot that I had done so.

I rebuilt the motor a year ago and never started it. Amazingly it fired right up.:D

All thats left now is the driveshaft.

TomsSVX 02-25-2007 11:04 PM

if you have trouble finding a good shop to extend the shaft, I can have one made and ship it to you

Tom

svxcuseme 02-26-2007 09:02 PM

Mike,

I had the front section of an Outback DS shortened at:
Drive Line Service of Atlanta
6285 Buford Hwy 770-242-9365

They did a fair job. The DS is balanced, no vibrations. They have a high speed balancer. The bad? They left tiny metal shavings in the tube when they welded it up. Sounded like someone was rigging a bell as I came to a stop. I was pissed for about 4 months until the fragments turned to steel dust and stopped making noise. Also, they didn't tell me there was a balancing fee. So I thought they were doing everything for $70. Got there to pick it up and the bill was $130. That's when they told me about the balancing fee. Raised hell and they dropped it. But I left with a bad taste in my mouth.

The other place I wanted to go to was:
Doraville Drive Line & Springs
6910 Buford Hwy 770--441-2501

My friend recommended them. But I got there with the DS in hand and told him what I wanted and he was concerned that he couldn't do the lengthening because he did'nt have any tube to match the subaru diameter. For the Outback DS lengthen, all they did at Atlanta DS was take about 5/8 off the front section where the u joint connects. I have about 3/8" play, front to back.

Also said the carrier bearing might make it hard for him to balance. I don't really understand why you can't just index the front section to the back and just have them balance the front. Anyway, his balancer only goes up to 500rpm. He said this didn't matter but I figured I'd sleep better if I new it had been high speed balanced, 3000rpm.

Let me know were you end up going.

Congrats on the engine start up...Sweet :D

Let me know when you get it road worthy. We'll have to hook up. I'm not much for racing but love driving the SVX.

Marc

svxcuseme 02-26-2007 09:07 PM

P.S. Interested to know what they do to lengthen one. Do they replace the entire tube, or just splice in a piece? How much do they charge up there Tom?

TomsSVX 02-26-2007 09:25 PM

They replace the entire tube. I am also looking to start rebuilding the U-joints too but I need to find one with bad joints first.. I know i have at least 1. Runs about $200 for the lengthening and I think u-joints are around $30-40

Tom

LiquidForce 03-01-2007 06:23 PM

I found a 5mt driveshaft from 96 outback. The carrier bearing was crap so I swapped it out with my wrx one. The front half of the shaft fits just fine without cutting anything. The carrier bearing mount lined right up with the holes and i was able to bolt it in to place.

I have yet to bolt together the back section but I assume if the front is right then the back section would fit. I have not mounted it permanently yet as I still need to fabricate the rear mount for the linkages.

I am getting so close but it will still probably be another two weeks since I have a track event this weekend.