The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   fwd/awd fuse (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=10677)

mhl0125 05-11-2003 05:24 PM

fwd/awd fuse

While checking my a/c fuse, I noticed the fwd fuse was missing. I know this is OK because it should only be used in emergencies. However, the whole area looked fried. There were no prongs there to hold the fuse. I want this option in case the car ever has to be towed or I need FWD in some emergency. How do I repair/replace this fuse holder?

lee 05-11-2003 05:37 PM

I have a partial answer - but admittedly not a good one. On my car the same thing was true as well as the A/C relay plugs were loose. What appears to have happened is the whole block in front of the main fuse block cracked, but I didn't know that until I started checking it out. I was able to push the block out of the holder through the bottom and open the block of contacts up. I used some silicon adhesive/caulk to hold the contacts in place, then put the assembly back into the holder.

For me the only right solution would be to acquire a whole new block and associated wiring. My way works but not very elegant.

hope this helps, or somebody else chimes in.

Earthworm 05-11-2003 06:51 PM

The slot for the FWD fuse has grease in it. It will be very discolored over time. Put a fuse in there and see if the FWD light comes on on your dash when you start it.

NomadTW 05-11-2003 08:37 PM

also, it won't help for towing
you'll still fry the diff if you try 2 wheel towing it when you have it in...

Green1995SVX 05-11-2003 08:51 PM

there is a non-conductive greese in there. This is used, i would imagine, to prevent something from falling in the slot and connecting the terminals.

Mike

RSVX 05-12-2003 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Earthworm
The slot for the FWD fuse has grease in it. It will be very discolored over time. Put a fuse in there and see if the FWD light comes on on your dash when you start it.
I too thought mine looked fried at one point, then Earthworm here guided me in the correct direction, it was grease :) just very very dirty grease

GreenMarine 05-12-2003 08:28 AM

Where exactly is the FWD fuse located at??? I've never really cared to take mine out of AWD..... But now that everyone is talking about thier block being fried I think that I will check mine to see if mine is messed up too... So where do I look????

RSVX 05-12-2003 08:49 AM

fuse box under the hood, the fuse location is clearly labled, unless of course your fuse box label is gone.

GreenMarine 05-12-2003 11:14 AM

Oh, cool... I've never had to look in the fuse box before..... Guess since I see my car so very little I just don't know all that much about that part of it.... :rolleyes: :cool: