The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Not Exactly SVX (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Olive oil, olive trees, and my back yard! (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=32397)

NapaBavarian 03-30-2006 03:47 PM

Olive oil, olive trees, and my back yard!

Looks like we'll be adding some olives to the property :p great, since I always loved olive oil, minimum 100 trees, but could be 300-400 :rolleyes: just depends on how they are laid out and how much area they cover...

www.santacruzolive.com

Electrophil 03-30-2006 04:32 PM

How many acres you got again? I had never put "Napa" together with "Napa valley" until just now. Huh! :eek:

Earthworm 03-30-2006 04:46 PM

How much would it cost to convert your vehicles to run on olive oil?

Bipa 03-30-2006 05:06 PM

Oil? Watch out... ya might get invaded! :eek:

:p :p :p :p :p

Electrophil 03-30-2006 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bipa
Oil? Watch out... ya might get invaded! :eek:

:p :p :p :p :p

Democracy in California? It would never work.. never.
But at least we know for sure they have WMD's.

SilverSpear 03-30-2006 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Earthworm
How much would it cost to convert your vehicles to run on olive oil?

Between 50$-100$ per 20L. Gas is still cheaper :p

Does olives there have a sweet or sour taste? My country is famous in its Olive trees, our black olives have a delicious soury taste. I think your olives are sweet by taste, well I tried them at Little Ceasar's Pizza.... :rolleyes:

NikFu S. 03-30-2006 11:28 PM

All the olives I've had were kinda neutral, but they were also on pizza.
Definitely not sour though.

SilverSpear 03-30-2006 11:53 PM

Neutral taste of olives??? So you are eating somehting with no taste my friend
You should try our olives, YumYummmmmmmmm :D

NikFu S. 03-30-2006 11:56 PM

I take taste for granted. I could eat a block of whey and be happy.

ensteele 03-31-2006 12:08 AM

No whey!!!! :rolleyes: ;) :D :D

NapaBavarian 03-31-2006 12:21 AM

I'll try to answer everything at once :D 14 acres, but maby 4-6 plantable with 2 acres in the primary area I'm looking at, more is there, but it would require destruction of some old growth Oak trees, the specific area I am looking at is on the other side of the county road and has walnut trees planted decades ago, and lack of care has taken their toll, they arn't worth saving, 2/3 are dead, the hillside needs erosion controll, and I want olive trees :D while I could run my truck on olive oil it would cost arround $1000 to process all those olives, and that would leave me with 4-6 weeks worth of fuel :eek: so I'll just use this for cooking :D and clean the used restraunt stuff for driving.

The property is within spiting distance of the Sonoma county line, there are 2 full parcels, then the county line, so it is in Napa, but not really napa valley, almost to the crest of the hill...

I have tasted sour oil, but good oil has a hard to describe taste, it is good mixed with other food stuffs or used to cook with, but kinda plain if I stick my finger in and taste it, although a shot glass of the really expensive stuff might be good :D I can taste the difference between it and veggie oil, but can't describe it to save my life :rolleyes:

NapaBavarian 03-31-2006 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NikFu S.
I take taste for granted. I could eat a block of whey fried in ollive oil and be happy.

Fixed it NikFu:p

NikFu S. 03-31-2006 01:24 AM

Now that I think about it, I'm sure I've been eating a lot of stuff that's been fried in olive oil.
Be damned if I can remember what it was, but it's not around anymore so there's no sense rackingmy brain over it.

For the record, my diet has no whey. :(

LarryIII 03-31-2006 05:01 AM

Nappa,

I've been growing my own garlic, so we should have an SVX Meet somewhere in the middle of the country. You bring a bottle of olive oil and I'll bring a dozen bulbs. We can also invite Ron and get a Box-O-Wine.

YellowBird 04-01-2006 04:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverSpear
Does olives there have a sweet or sour taste? My country is famous in its Olive trees, our black olives have a delicious soury taste. I think your olives are sweet by taste, well I tried them at Little Ceasar's Pizza.... :rolleyes:

Grew up Italian. LOTS and LOTS of different tasting Olives. Some were really horrible. All black olives. I love Black Olives.