The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Transmission and Drivetrain (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   Small Car Kit... (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=31627)

gest24 02-18-2006 10:32 PM

Small Car Kit...

I just got my small car shift kit tonight. I searched the topic and it seems like a pretty straight forward install. Just a little curious if anyone else that bought the kit recently has had the flashing power light issue? Also, I cut and strip the green yellow wire?

One off topic question. I saw in another post when I was searching that it takes 2-3 tanks of gas for the ECU Tune chips to start working. Is this true?

Myxalplyx 02-18-2006 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gest24
I just got my small car shift kit tonight. I searched the topic and it seems like a pretty straight forward install. Just a little curious if anyone else that bought the kit recently has had the flashing power light issue? Also, I cut and strip the green yellow wire?

One off topic question. I saw in another post when I was searching that it takes 2-3 tanks of gas for the ECU Tune chips to start working. Is this true?

Is this kit worth it? I didn't see any +torque betwen shifts with this kit.

thundering02 02-19-2006 01:17 AM

no additional tourque ...just transmision saveing shifts...and yes I have the blinking power light too...:(

immortal_suby 02-19-2006 07:47 AM

from Landshark:
http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/fil...hark/15930.jpg

The kit will firm up the shifts more if you adjust it.

Myxalplyx 02-19-2006 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by immortal_suby

Will the kit firm up the shifts enough to make the car feel like it jerks ahead or perhaps a slight torque steer between shifts? I mean, can it be adjusted to shift like this? That's what I want.

immortal_suby 02-19-2006 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Myxalplyx
Will the kit firm up the shifts enough to make the car feel like it jerks ahead or perhaps a slight torque steer between shifts? I mean, can it be adjusted to shift like this? That's what I want.

If you adjust it all the way out it will shift almost like having the resistor unplugged. I have never had torque steer stock, resistor unplugged, or with the shift kit though.
I can get the slingshot ahead feeling during shifts if I keep the gas pedal just shy of full throttle. Kinda hard to do consistently though. If I keep it on the floor it just shifts hard, if I keep it just shy of full throttle it feels like some kind of slingshot effect almost like a clutch slipping then engaging to a motor spinning way faster than it. Kinda hard to explain.

Myxalplyx 02-19-2006 03:34 PM

Quote:

I can get the slingshot ahead feeling during shifts if I keep the gas pedal just shy of full throttle. Kinda hard to do consistently though. If I keep it on the floor it just shifts hard, if I keep it just shy of full throttle it feels like some kind of slingshot effect almost like a clutch slipping then engaging to a motor spinning way faster than it. Kinda hard to explain.

The 'Slingshot Effect' is EXACTLY what I am talking about. That is what I have in my OBS and XT6. This is what I want in the SVX. In those cars, the slingshot feeling comes from the horsepower falling off then as the car shifts, you gain anywhere from 40-50% horsepower before it goes into the next gear. That is what I'm looking for. :)

ensteele 02-19-2006 04:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the latest mod to get that sling shot feeling. :rolleyes: :eek: ;) :) :)

immortal_suby 02-19-2006 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Myxalplyx
The 'Slingshot Effect' is EXACTLY what I am talking about. That is what I have in my OBS and XT6. This is what I want in the SVX. In those cars, the slingshot feeling comes from the horsepower falling off then as the car shifts, you gain anywhere from 40-50% horsepower before it goes into the next gear. That is what I'm looking for. :)

I think it has more to do with throttle position than the shift kit. I can get the wife's svx without the shift kit to do the same thing as mine that has it.
I get it the most consistently by rolling into the throttle from a takeoff and then holding it just shy of full throttle. If I stomp the pedal from a stop or mess up and put it on the floor it won't do it.

Smallcar shift kit is still a great deal though if you like firmer shifts.

DarknessofDeath 02-19-2006 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ensteele
Here is the latest mod to get that sling shot feeling. :rolleyes: :eek: ;) :) :)

that would definitely give that sling shot effect....
as well as some extra thrust

gest24 02-19-2006 09:38 PM

Got the kit installed... what a pain in the ASS... But it does make the low speed shifts softer and crispens the fast shifts. Best of all... NO power flashes.

Earthworm 02-20-2006 01:27 PM

The slingshot effect would have to involve modification of the valve body or different clutch plates. Perhaps Levelten can provide additional information on these trannies.

Myxalplyx 02-21-2006 05:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Earthworm
The slingshot effect would have to involve modification of the valve body or different clutch plates. Perhaps Levelten can provide additional information on these trannies.

I was hoping I would not have to resort to Levelten. Oh, they are so expensive. Gotta get some money together. This may be key in getting some quicker 1/4 mile times.

dromano 05-27-2006 03:21 PM

tranny temp range

Quote:

from Landshark:
http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/fil...hark/15930.jpg

Matt,
Did you notice a reduction in tranny temps after installing the shift kit? I could use a heat reduction here in the desert, when its hot (100+) I run 100 degrees over ambient. It's no fun watching the temp gauge go over 200 degrees. TIA
Dave

shotgunslade 05-27-2006 04:09 PM

I remember when I had a 4EAT, and installed the shift kit. I definitely made power on shifts much crisper. I could definitely notice the difference. Not a slingshot, but no wasted time between gears.