The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   a/c removal (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=48902)

dennyo 01-27-2009 02:53 PM

a/c removal

I'm thinking of taking out the a/c except for the evap.I'll cap the ports on the firewall. I use the car in the summer and it doesn't really get that hot here so I never use it.Question is, will this end up setting codes or any other nonsense and should I just leave it in? I can't think of any reason why this might be a bad idea but I don't know enough about it. Has anyone done this? Thanks Dennis

Freeman 01-27-2009 02:56 PM

Re: a/c removal

Plenty have done it, no problems reported from what I remember..

But it is a really really dumb thing to delete.. It lowers the resale value and only drops about 80lbs.. Yours don't work? Might be an easy fix..

Mine doesn't work either and summer here is HELL!!! (in MD) Needless to say I plan on fixing it this year..

kwren 01-27-2009 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dennyo (Post 584417)
I'm thinking of taking out the a/c except for the evap.I'll cap the ports on the firewall. I use the car in the summer and it doesn't really get that hot here so I never use it.Question is, will this end up setting codes or any other nonsense and should I just leave it in? I can't think of any reason why this might be a bad idea but I don't know enough about it. Has anyone done this? Thanks Dennis

The air conditioning system has more functions than just cooling your body when the weather is hot.
Makes no sense to do away with a system that is needed to make other things perform correctly.

Just my 2 cents worth

Keith:)

Crazy_pilot 01-27-2009 08:20 PM

I haven't had A/C in my car for quite a while. There's a massive leak in the condensor, so I simply cut the A/C belt. (less useless drag on the engine). I haven't had any codes and the climate control still performs just fine. The windows de-fog just fine. I'll probably get around to removing the entire system this summer to cut a bit more weight off the front end.

svxxx26 01-28-2009 10:26 AM

It's a bad idea that you will come to regret if you keep the car - and especially if you try to sell it.

Crazy_pilot 01-28-2009 10:30 AM

It's been well over a year since the belt came off, and I never had A/C to begin with...no regrets yet. It doesn't get hot enough here to make me want A/C THAT badly. Open windows and sunroof gets the job done.

cozykat 01-28-2009 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dennyo (Post 584417)

the A/C system is used for properly defrosting your windshield in the winter (however, that function may still work depending on the climate conditions - humidity,etc). I had my AC stop working last winter and it sucked for defrosting. The HVAC system still works because the Econ button effectly acts like there is no AC system (you still have the temperature monitoring along with the heater but it doesn't use the compressor so its like having it on Vent). Vent sucks because its like having an air tube straight from the car in front's exhaust to your face. Just lovely. :rolleyes: And using "circ" will just circulate that car's exhaust in your face for a couple of minutes more = no bueno.
The weight lost by removing the compressor is not substantial enough for it to be a logical reason unless you are installing a super charger and need the room for the extra pulleys or you are trimming weight from the whole car (removing all interior, getting a lighter battery, etc) to be a race car.

If you want to cut some real weight without losing features, try getting a fiberglass hood from svxfiles (our stock hood is like 41lbs, his is 19lbs) or getting lighter wheels (I think ours are like 28lbs each and I think the 2006/2007 STi wheels are like 17lbs - which is what I went with).. There are even lighter wheels out there, just find some that are 5x114.3 and have an offset somewhere around +55..

cozykat 01-28-2009 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy_pilot (Post 584580)
It's been well over a year since the belt came off, and I never had A/C to begin with...no regrets yet. It doesn't get hot enough here to make me want A/C THAT badly. Open windows and sunroof gets the job done.

you sir, must not have humidity. :)

We don't get as cold as you. Texas can still get as low as the 20s (F) but its humid as well. Of course, we also get really hot (109+) soooo AC is a must down south. :cool:

Freeman 01-28-2009 11:12 AM

AC was a must for people in MD last year in the summer! It's terribly hot in the summer.. Stick with the AC and just get it fixed? (if it was broken to begin with)

intellibomb 01-28-2009 11:49 AM

on my last engine the compressor was fux0red and making noise, so i just cut the belt.
simple, easy, free, effective

dont butcher your car by removing the whole thing. thats silly.

dennyo 01-28-2009 01:03 PM

the people have spoken. in it stays.doesn't seem like a lot to be gained by removing it. Thanks to all. dennis