The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Brake Caliper Paint (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=53174)

ensteele 02-16-2010 11:04 PM

Brake Caliper Paint

I am looking for brake caliper paint. I can find it in spray cans (rattle cans), but not in a can that is liquid for a brush. Has anybody found a source for this? This woud be a high heat paint, and will be used on the brake calipers.

Thanks in advance. :)

Splinter 02-16-2010 11:25 PM

Re: Brake Caliper Paint

Let me google that for you ;)

SilverSpear 02-16-2010 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Splinter (Post 635065)

Splinter, I think Earl was looking for someone who already used a specific product and it worked rather than what is available in the market.

I guess for an "Executive Director" and the Senior-ist member on SVXWN and owner of half of the SVXi in Northern America he is aware of the concept of Google :p :p

sabin 02-16-2010 11:39 PM

i've used g2 caliper paint in the past and it came out great

ensteele 02-17-2010 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverSpear (Post 635067)
Splinter, I think Earl was looking for someone who already used a specific product and it worked rather than what is available in the market.

I guess for an "Executive Director" and the Senior-ist member on SVXWN and owner of half of the SVXi in Northern America he is aware of the concept of Google :p :p

:lol: :lol: Thanks Danny. yes, I think I have google down pat, but was wandering if someone had tried some that was available like what sabin has done.

I found some, but don't know if it works or not. I don't want to paint them and have to redo them soon after. Thanks guys. :)

SilverSpear 02-17-2010 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ensteele (Post 635080)
:lol: :lol: Thanks Danny. yes, I think I have google down pat, but was wandering if someone had tried some that was available like what sabin has done.

I found some, but don't know if it works or not. I don't want to paint them and have to redo them soon after. Thanks guys. :)

I wonder if John (svxcess) has some previous experience with this. Hope he has, he usually gives some solid feedback in such matters.

svxcess 02-17-2010 06:09 AM

I am not a huge fan of caliper painting, preferring powdercoating instead. With stock alloy wheels, there doesn't seem to be enough of the caliper visible to make it worthwhile.

However, I have helped other people do this and it seems to work very well. The two recommended ones on the market are the Duplicolor High-Performance caliper paint and the G2 Brake caliper paint, which is the one I have used in the past.

Duplicolor:
single stage paint with protection to 500°. Available in red, yellow, black, blue and silver. Brush on at least 3 coats. About $16.00

Available from Amazon.com HERE

G2 Caliper paint system:
2 stage (paint and reactor) More of a high gloss epoxy, it has a temperature rating of almost 1000°. Comes in more colors. About $38.00. All colors are available from Amazon.com HERE

G2 Website

See their instructions HERE

Earl, this project will take you an entire day to do correctly.

The G2 system wants you to wait 2 hours before reinstalling wheels and another 24 hours before driving the vehicle to allow the finish to fully harden.
Once you mix the paint and reactor together you have about 6 hours to use it, so the job has to be done all at once. This is where 2 people come in handy, cutting the painting time in half.

The Duplicolor system is best with at least 3 coats (that's 12 calipers!!) Since there is no mixing, you can split up the job and come back to it if needed.

For a smoother finish, I have used a foam brush instead of a bristle brush for applying the paint, no brush marks or stray bristles in the paint and toss them away as needed.

ensteele 02-17-2010 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverSpear (Post 635083)
I wonder if John (svxcess) has some previous experience with this. Hope he has, he usually gives some solid feedback in such matters.

You know he will - and now has. :lol: I am always willing to go the extra mile with John's techniques. :lol:

I don't plan on doing all of them, but I have a couple of them that I woud like to do because of the custom wheels. The others I may do silver just to keep the rust down and to protect the calipers.

As usual you have given me full informaiton and links to the answers I was looking for. I found that the two types or brands that you give are indeed the two main ones found. Thanks. I wish you were around to do some of these chores for me. :lol: ;)

lhopp77 02-17-2010 08:23 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I prefer the looks of powder coating, but it is much more expensive and causes some fitment problems in the anti-rattle clip area. It obviously requires you to rebuild the calipers where spray or brush on painting doesn't.

I have just had a set powder coated--pic below-- but getting ready to do a rattle can set with 500 degree paint from Autozone. Unfortunately, it will be about a year before I can really assess the difference.

The car with the powder coated calipers will have RX8 wheels mounted.

Earl, if you don't have an Eastwood catalog, it's a good one to have around for those hard to find car restoration items. (It is one of the links in Splinter's Google)

Lee

mysvxrocks 02-17-2010 08:27 AM

So I have a question, my car has rear drums, I know... lame... but whatever. Anyways, they are starting to show rust, could I use this same paint on them? Id just keep them black as they currently are, I just dont like looking at the rust. Then, whats the best way to remove the rust thats currently on there?

SVX_MY_BABY 02-17-2010 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mysvxrocks (Post 635110)
So I have a question, my car has rear drums, I know... lame... but whatever. Anyways, they are starting to show rust, could I use this same paint on them? Id just keep them black as they currently are, I just don't like looking at the rust. Then, whats the best way to remove the rust thats currently on there?

Phosphoric acid & steel wool & a pair of acid proof gloves. You can get it in gel format which is runs less. Cheap rubber gloves will probably dissolve or get punctured by the steel wool. If really rusty take off the excess with a sander and 80 - 180 grit.

michael 02-17-2010 07:58 PM

soak them for 24 hours in a bowl of vinegar. Tapping with a hammer before soaking will get rid of the big chunks if they are that bad.