The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   SVX = Tow Truck (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=37785)

Tiamat-red 03-06-2007 06:02 AM

SVX = Tow Truck

After changing the oil in my 95 Grand Cherokee I backed it out of the garage into the driveway, and then into the snow covered yard to "turn around" into the other driveway spot. Well it slid sideways downhill out of the plowed spot into the 2 feet of snow in the yard. Parallel parking itself in the snow.
After trying to drive, rock, push, etc it out I realized only one side of tires were spinning.
That's right no LSD front or back.
My 4 wheel drive American icon with brand new studded snow tires was stuck in my own yard.
Not in the Rubicon, or Amazon.
So I tied a rope to the rear tow hook on the SVX hooked it to the front axle of the Jeep put my wife in the Jeep and drove it right out.
Now the SVX WAS in the driveway with relatively good traction but I still thought it was funny...

JaySVX 03-06-2007 06:08 AM

AWD > 1WD. My Explorer has AWD and really rocks in the snow too. Hopefully we'll get some after i pick up my SVX so i can play with it too.

joburnet 03-06-2007 02:20 PM

You need a rubicon. Nothing moves on ice though.

Tiamat-red 03-06-2007 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JaySVX
AWD > 1WD. My Explorer has AWD and really rocks in the snow too. Hopefully we'll get some after i pick up my SVX so i can play with it too.

Well the Jeep had "2 wheel drive".
Both left, or both right. Seems that both diffs are open.
I was just expecting more out of a Jeep.

But just because I'm a nice guy, if you'd like to come and take all of the snow in my yard it's yours!:D

It's Just Eric 03-06-2007 06:38 PM

Its such a tempting offer. We havent had any snow yet. I wanna lose traction too damnit!

On a slightly mre serious note, I used mine to yank an svx off a trailer. Wehn loading the pig, its throttle stuck oepn and she dukes of hazarded the tow dolly, sitting perched on it with none of its wheels on the ground. I just hooked up a tow strap, and pulled it off with my 96. Peice of cake, and yes, the transmission has forgiven me for it:)

Seraph 03-06-2007 06:46 PM

I hope you know a good transmission shop.

TomsSVX 03-06-2007 07:46 PM

The SVX is a work horse... If you could only imagine what I have put my teal through... Think of 3 4'x8' pieces of 3/4" ply on the roof with the trunk packed with 2x4's and 4x4's:D :D :D I needed something to build my workbenches out of:D

Tom

lhopp77 03-07-2007 08:26 AM

Jeep??

I had a Jeep Wrangler and the thing was worthless in snow or mud. Sold it. Cherokees don't perform much better here. Give me a Subaru everytime (well or my Ford P/U).

Now of course, while my SVX does a very good job in snow (not to deep), I don't usually get it out in that kind of weather. Tend to pamper them a bit. :D

Lee

Speedklix 03-07-2007 08:01 PM

^Also guilty of hauling lumber in an SVX :eek: ;)

I've also pulled plenty of cars with the beater legacy, including a loaded v8 JeepGC too! Not sure how it'd do in the snow with the heavy stuff, but I have pulled the camry on ice! Yeah, jess got it stuck... and after I pulled it out, got it stuck much worse :mad: I still pulled it to safty though :D