The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Changing axle shaft (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=33106)

KevinM 05-07-2006 10:56 PM

Changing axle shaft

My SVX needs a new driver's side axle shaft, the cv boot is toast and the joint is bad. I bought the car this way, but it is weird that the previous owner had just replaced the passenger side shaft, not both.

Anyway, I have the part, $66 from NAPA after core return, which seems really cheap.

EDIT: found the write up!

Thanks,

Kevin

SVX-FF 05-08-2006 07:33 AM

NAPA has the cheapest half shafts because they only offer a 1 year warranty. Advance and Auto zone have lifetime warranties but cost about 80 bucks.

Steve

dromano 05-27-2006 11:50 AM

any unexpected issues

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevinM
My SVX needs a new driver's side axle shaft, the cv boot is toast and the joint is bad. I bought the car this way, but it is weird that the previous owner had just replaced the passenger side shaft, not both.

Anyway, I have the part, $66 from NAPA after core return, which seems really cheap.

EDIT: found the write up!

Thanks,

Kevin

Hey Kevin,
I'm about to replace both front axles. Have you done yours yet? Let us know how it goes/went. Did your NAPA axle come with a new nut & pin?
TIA,
Dave :)

gest24 05-27-2006 02:35 PM

If ya wait till I get back from leave we can hit up the Miramar hobby shop and make the swap go much easier. I even have cotter pins for the ball joints.

kuoh 05-27-2006 02:52 PM

Those of you who are ordering a new halfshaft from Napa, make sure it isn't a reman from Car Component Technologies (CCT), because they have the incorrect part listed for the SVX. My local Napa, Advanced Auto Parts and Carquest all listed that part, which does fit, but the outer axle end is too long and you won't be able to put the cap back on. I finally got a Cardone reman from Oreillys, which was the correct fit. Just a word of caution to double check before you start taking things apart.

KuoH

KevinM 05-27-2006 05:53 PM

Well I didn't post afterwards, but I changed the shaft a week or so ago. Took just a few hours, I did it after work one night. Everything went well, which is surprising knowing my luck. Only thing that sucked is I could not get the brake disk off, I didn't have the bolts to push it from the hub. I was able to slide the shaft out without removing the disk or the sway bar. The Napa shaft came with a new nut and pin, and all is well.

Thanks for the encouragement.

dromano 05-28-2006 03:34 PM

correct half shaft

Quote:

Originally Posted by kuoh
Those of you who are ordering a new halfshaft from Napa, make sure it isn't a reman from Car Component Technologies (CCT), because they have the incorrect part listed for the SVX. My local Napa, Advanced Auto Parts and Carquest all listed that part, which does fit, but the outer axle end is too long and you won't be able to put the cap back on. I finally got a Cardone reman from Oreillys, which was the correct fit. Just a word of caution to double check before you start taking things apart.

KuoH

:confused: I ordered Cardone #607209 reman, hope it's the right part:eek:
Thanks for the tip.

Suby Fan 05-29-2006 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gest24
If ya wait till I get back from leave we can hit up the Miramar hobby shop and make the swap go much easier. I even have cotter pins for the ball joints.

wait does the write up detail removing the ball joint from the steering knuckle? because there are two blots that hold the ball joint on the control arm... btw is it wrong to put the bolts back in backwards... because i had one hell of a time sliding the bolts out from the top so i reversed them so they are alot easier to remove... and all axle shaft kits that i have seen come with a new axle nut and lock pin or what ever you want to call it.

KevinM 05-29-2006 10:10 AM

I did not remove the ball joint bolts, just the 2 bolts that attach the hub to the strut. If you turn the wheel all the way to one side you can slide the shaft out without removing anything else.

dromano 06-01-2006 03:22 PM

pin problem

:mad: Started replacing the front axles today. Got the first one out, what a mess, grease every where:( . Got the new axle in place, can't get the pin to go in more than a 1/4 inch:mad: :mad: . Is there an exact position of the axle to the transaxle shaft? It looks to me that I have the holes lined up, pin stops at 1/4 inch. About to call the tow truck:eek:
Going back out to give it one more try (after 2 hours of frustration):mad: :mad:
Any ideas:confused: :confused:

Earthworm 06-01-2006 04:03 PM

Sounds like you may have the axle 180° out. You should be able to determine this if you can see into the hole for the pin.

dromano 06-01-2006 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Earthworm
Sounds like you may have the axle 180° out. You should be able to determine this if you can see into the hole for the pin.

:) That was it!!! Rotated the axle 180 and the pin went right in:D . Funny no one mentioned this in previous 'how to's'. This is the messyist job I have done on my SVX, grease every where and then some:(

Both axles in!! All is well, I don't want to do this again for another 14 years (no way, Ill be 79!!!!).