The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Squeeky belt, dash lights, burning smell (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=30203)

DavieGravy 12-10-2005 07:04 PM

Squeaky belt, dash lights, burning smell

I've got a bit of a problem. Last night (coming home) I turned down the radio and heard a loud hissing sound. I pulled over, got out and smelt burning rubber. After pondering the situation, decided to drive off and try and make it back home. I made it, but a belt was intermittently squeaking on and off the entire way back. The problem got worse and worse on my trip home. While I was stopped at a traffic light close to my place, I noticed all the dash lights started flickering on and off rapidly. While pulling into my parking lot upon arriving, the power steering wasn't functioning properly as it was very hard to turn the wheel. A couple of mornings ago, I heard a belt lightly squeaking, but didn't think much of it. But now, I'm thinking the serpentine belt may need tightening up. How would I go about doing this? Also, could it be something else like a bad water pump? The engine was running at normal operating temperature the entire time. I'm going to try and tackle this tomorrow in the daylight. The weather here had been very cold lately, so perhaps that's got somethign to do with it. Any help would be appreciated as I rely heavily on my car. Thanks..

kuoh 12-10-2005 07:32 PM

The SVX has 2 accessory belts and one timing belt. You should start by inspecting the 2 accessory belts first and seeing if either shows damage. From your description, it sounds like the alternator/power steering belt may be seizing up. If it is, then you shouldn't drive it anymore as you could cause more expensive damage. If it's the AC compressor belt, then you can just yank it out and fix it when you can. If it's the timing belt, then you've got bigger troubles.

KuoH

intelisevil 12-10-2005 08:29 PM

I'd have to agree that KuoH is pointing you in the right direction.

Take the alternator/power steering belt off and try turning the alternator and power steering pulleys by hand.

Good luck,

immortal_suby 12-11-2005 06:49 AM

Check the rubber dampener in the crank pulley. The symptoms match it failing.
With the car running, watch the crank pulley for movement forward/backward as you rev the engine. It shouldn't move - if it does the rubber dampener has separated.

Hocrest 12-11-2005 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by intelisevil
I'd have to agree that KuoH is pointing you in the right direction.

Take the alternator/power steering belt off and try turning the alternator and power steering pulleys by hand.

Good luck,

Also turn the idler pulley and make sure that it spins freely.

I would also put a new belt rather than replace the old one.

DavieGravy 12-11-2005 10:18 AM

Thanks for all the help. I've been serveying the situation and it appears to be the power steering pump. Does anyone know if the pump is specific to the SVX or will Legacies fit?

intelisevil 12-11-2005 09:00 PM

Depending on the model of SVX, we have either engine speed variable or road speed variable systems. I don't know if the two systems use different pumps or just different computer programming.

Good Luck,
Dan

DavieGravy 12-12-2005 01:48 PM

Thanks for all the help. I ended up having to replace the ps pump, idler pulley, belt and mount. The pully on the ps pump had siezed and damaged these other components. I believe the bad pump was also the cause of the intermitent steering problems I've been having lately (wobbling at low speeds, pulling to one side on the highway, etc).