The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   OT: The Onion (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=11323)

Mr. Pockets 06-12-2003 05:52 PM

OT: The Onion

An article in The Onion about a Subaru Loyale. There's some foul language in the article, so don't bother clicking if you'll be offended by it.

http://www.theonion.com/onion3922/troubled_teens.html

DavieGravy 06-12-2003 06:05 PM

I suppose that story can be applied to the looks of every Subaru other than the SVX. :D

Ron Mummert 06-12-2003 06:32 PM

I'd say issue each one of these poor, underpriviledged, creeps a '73 Gremlin, & let him drive his own ass to rehab.

Ron (lock 'n load time).

Green1995SVX 06-12-2003 06:35 PM

haha that was great! :)

Mike

Subafreak 06-12-2003 08:17 PM

Thoes bastards!

LarryIII 06-13-2003 04:32 AM

The firewall here at work just popped up. It says that the site I was trying to get to was judged inappropriate for use on our intranet.
What is the "onion"?

subymtnguy 06-13-2003 08:29 AM

The Onion...

For those who don't know....

The Onion is a weekly newspaper, produced in Boulder Colorado. It is distributed free at bars, restaurants etc in the Front Range areas of Colorado.

The whole thing is a spoof, a put on, of your "regular newspaper".
It is all done "tongue in cheek". Super sensitive , and the touchy feely types might be offended; but thats their problem.
I find it very funny and clever; but then I have a somewhat twisted sense of humor! :D ;)

The Onion is also available free on-line at www.theonion.com.

Mr. Pockets 06-13-2003 08:47 AM

Re: The Onion...

Quote:

Originally posted by subymtnguy
For those who don't know....

The Onion is a weekly newspaper, produced in Boulder Colorado. It is distributed free at bars, restaurants etc in the Front Range areas of Colorado.

The whole thing is a spoof, a put on, of your "regular newspaper".
It is all done "tongue in cheek". Super sensitive , and the touchy feely types might be offended; but thats their problem.
I find it very funny and clever; but then I have a somewhat twisted sense of humor! :D ;)

The Onion is also available free on-line at www.theonion.com.

Sorry, but your history of The Onion is a little inaccurate. :)

The Onion got its start in Madison, WI. I'm really not sure when circulation began, but I suspect that it was in the early 90s. When The Onion started distribution in Milwaukee, I used to steal (hey, the paper was free) bundles from behind a building in Milwaukee and pass the issues out in my high school. That was around '92 or '93.

Every summer my wife goes go Madison (she's actually leaving today) for two weeks for a music clinic. While she's there, she usually gets me one or two Onion t-shirts. I'm wearing one right now that says 'Area Man' on it.

Edit: I was close. As far as I can tell, The Onion began circulation in '88-'89. It showed up on our radar in Milwaukee in about '91 or so, I think.

mohrds 06-13-2003 09:31 AM

Re: Re: The Onion...

Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Pockets

Sorry, but your history of The Onion is a little inaccurate. :)

The Onion got its start in Madison, WI. I'm really not sure when circulation began, but I suspect that it was in the early 90s. When The Onion started distribution in Milwaukee, I used to steal (hey, the paper was free) bundles from behind a building in Milwaukee and pass the issues out in my high school. That was around '92 or '93.

Every summer my wife goes go Madison (she's actually leaving today) for two weeks for a music clinic. While she's there, she usually gets me one or two Onion t-shirts. I'm wearing one right now that says 'Area Man' on it.

Edit: I was close. As far as I can tell, The Onion began circulation in '88-'89. It showed up on our radar in Milwaukee in about '91 or so, I think.

My friend was an image editor for The Onion until it was bought out by the New York Corporation in 2000.

I emailed him this morning and he replied that the Onion started in 1985 in Madison printing only a few copies. In 1987 they started bulk printing and distributing throughought the Madison area.

So Nick gets the award for being very close to correct. Next time I see you, I'll give you your prize!

Doug

Mr. Pockets 06-13-2003 09:49 AM

Re: Re: Re: The Onion...

Quote:

Originally posted by mohrds

My friend was an image editor for The Onion until it was bought out by the New York Corporation in 2000.

I emailed him this morning and he replied that the Onion started in 1985 in Madison printing only a few copies. In 1987 they started bulk printing and distributing throughought the Madison area.

So Nick gets the award for being very close to correct. Next time I see you, I'll give you your prize!

Doug

I thought they had been bought by somebody, but I couldn't remember the details.

subymtnguy 06-13-2003 03:11 PM

The Onion...

Thanks for the info, guys; I stand corrected. :)

I had never seen the Onion until I returned home to Colorado. They give a Boulder address in their hard copies distributed here.

I think they are great...many, many laughs...:D

Chicane 06-13-2003 03:38 PM

I live in madison so I've had access to the paper version since...... well... forever. I guess I take it for granted. :D

- Rob

Mr. Pockets 06-13-2003 04:32 PM

Re: The Onion...

Quote:

Originally posted by subymtnguy
Thanks for the info, guys; I stand corrected. :)

I had never seen the Onion until I returned home to Colorado. They give a Boulder address in their hard copies distributed here.

I think they are great...many, many laughs...:D

You're absolutely right, there - The Onion is amazing in its consistency. And nobody is safe. :D

The only time I have ever been disappointed in The Onion was during the recent war with Iraq. For about three or four weeks, the entire Onion staff turned into Janeane Garofalo. ;)