The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Research and development (help wanted) (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=62514)

Chris 02-06-2014 05:02 PM

Research and development (help wanted)

Its been a long time coming, but this NEEDS to be done.

Our beloved SVX is becoming long in the tooth per say. Subaru barely supports us anymore, and OEM suppliers are slowly dropping support if not already. This has to stop or we will not be able to keep our cars on the road, looking great for car shows, and running awesome at the tracks.

I am taking volunteers for "Official" SVX World Network Research & Development department. This will be an outreach like the forum moderators and officers, but with a focus on corporate ties and musscle flex to get group buys arranged and completed for parts that are needed by our community. In the department I want two separate focus groups, one working on OE (Original Equipment) parts to supply us with what we need to maintain our cars. Things such as struts, windshields and gaskets, timing belt components, bearings & seals, etc.... The second focus group will on aftermarket parts such as the previous carbon fiber hoods, performance engine parts, aluminum radiators, "SVX" embossed metal scuff door entry plates, engine dress up, etc...

Job description and duties would be to work with the SVXWN community to assess priority in needs and wants, work with other R&D volunteers to collaborate feasibility, draw up plans for vendor negotiations, mediate between vendor requirements and community support, broker the deal, and become a King an all-star as product execution and shipping takes place.

If you are interested in becoming part of this team, and you have some time to devote to emails, phone calls, and you have some patience to moderate between supplier and demands, post your name into the hat here. If you have a preference on OE team or Aftermarket team, also note that as well.

So, who wants to be a Rock Star?! :D

(note: I will say from experience, you must be good with Google and or search engines, be persistent at times, logistics management and good record keeping skills helpful, technical writing skills also a bonus, great email skills also necessary) Will also be choosing two team leaders. If you want consideration here too, PM me after you post your name into the volunteer hat here.

92 SVX 02-06-2014 05:10 PM

Re: Research and development (help wanted)

Good luck with it, I sincerely want to see this prosper, I have the time (usually) but I do not have the skill or patience.

WhatIsThisIDont 02-06-2014 07:35 PM

I'd probably be of limited use, but I have the patience to deal with people and I'm working through my engineering degree, so I can draw up just about any plans you guys would need. And I usually have some spare time, especially to devote to this car and community.

If you ever need me for just about anything, shoot me a message.

Chris 02-06-2014 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhatIsThisIDont (Post 731833)
I'd probably be of limited use, but I have the patience to deal with people and I'm working through my engineering degree, so I can draw up just about any plans you guys would need. And I usually have some spare time, especially to devote to this car and community.

If you ever need me for just about anything, shoot me a message.

Is that an "in" or no? Not looking for full time involvement and I am hoping the team sizes are large enough to minimize load and allow for delegation of plans. And lastly, if "in" do you have a preference on team?
:lol:

WhatIsThisIDont 02-06-2014 08:01 PM

I'm in lol. A slight preference to Aftermarket, but I'll do anything

SVXRide 02-06-2014 08:41 PM

Chris,

In for aftermarket.

Bill

svxcess 02-06-2014 09:55 PM

What's the point of a shiny new "SVX" embossed metal scuff door entry plate if we are forced to use pitted windshields from salvage yards or Chinese windshields with strip caulk?

We desperately need items that will keep these things on the road. You can dress up an SVX engine with a little elbow grease and parts that are currently available (oil caps, silicone hoses, fasteners, etc.) Bolt-on bling is not what the SVX is all about. This is not a 50's street rod.

OEM components is definitely the harder road...

Chris 02-06-2014 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxcess (Post 731841)
What's the point of a shiny new "SVX" embossed metal scuff door entry plate if we are forced to use pitted windshields from salvage yards or Chinese windshields with strip caulk?

We desperately need items that will keep these things on the road. You can dress up an SVX engine with a little elbow grease and parts that are currently available (oil caps, silicone hoses, fasteners, etc.) Bolt-on bling is not what the SVX is all about. This is not a 50's street rod.

OEM components is definitely the harder road...

I agree fully, and I did list windshields under the OE area. I understand your views about aftermarket, but you must also be at least a bit understanding to those whom want aftermarket camshafts, stand alone computers, and such for the few that are into recreational motor sports (myself included). One day, hopefully soon, I will have another street SVX that I can get all stressed about trying to keep it pristine, clean, and worthy of occasional tours, shows, and drives just to appreciate the car.... as is.

92snowmachine 02-08-2014 02:55 PM

i will do whatever i can. i was actually planning on calling the owner of the local subaru dealer to try and see if he would put me in contact with someone higher up the subaru parts tree to make part requests or do so on my behalf. will let you know if i get anywhere. it would be good to get an official list of oem parts that are not available. if i can be of help in any way let me know.

SVXRide 02-08-2014 05:59 PM

John is right. I'm in for both.

Bill

svxfiles 02-08-2014 06:58 PM

I am going to learn how to rebuild stock struts
I have taken many, many apart and the hardware always seemed to be in good shape.
Fresh oil of the correct viscosity, some new O-Rings, reassemble.
The things that have to be created, like the seat belt computers will have to be saved and repaired.
I have a source on Long Island who MIGHT be able to rebuild them.
I do not have a problem with Chinese windshields, but getting the Titanium Oxide coated ones might be problematic.
I am always willing to help and I am open to suggestions.
Tom

THE NEW GUY 02-10-2014 07:28 AM

I'm in for both but overall for OE. I'm in Montreal.

Stevebsy 02-10-2014 09:50 AM

In about a month, I will have my new, full-size CNC machining center up and running!

So..finally I will be able to graduate from the oil caps I am making now to bigger and better things. mwahahaha

I may not have too much time to develop designs from scratch, but I can definately work on the manufacturing end of things, or can collaborate on design with someone else to make it manufacturable.

WhatIsThisIDont 02-11-2014 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stevebsy (Post 731935)
In about a month, I will have my new, full-size CNC machining center up and running!

So..finally I will be able to graduate from the oil caps I am making now to bigger and better things. mwahahaha

I may not have too much time to develop designs from scratch, but I can definately work on the manufacturing end of things, or can collaborate on design with someone else to make it manufacturable.

I might actually be useful for this. I'm getting to be pretty decent in AutoCAD, so I'd have no problem helping out with that if needed.

Crazy_pilot 02-11-2014 02:48 PM

Likewise, I have a decent amount of experience with Catia (see my "SVX Diagrams" thread) including the machining functions.

I think my experience would tend more toward the aftermarket side of things, but I would be willing to help out in any way that's needed.