The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Help please. (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=57660)

svxpensive 06-23-2011 08:25 AM

Help please.

Hi members.

I am in quite a bind.

My 97 is parked on the street with the shifter cable broken while in park. I have to, push move the car or the city will tow it tomorrow.

I was looking for a switch that some cars have that disables the gears and puts the car in neutral.

Can anyone tell me if this can be done on the 97 svx ?

Earthworm 06-23-2011 09:21 AM

Re: Help please.

You would have to safely crawl underneath the car and manually put the transmission into neutral either using what's left of the cable or the switch right on the passenger side of the transmission.

svxpensive 06-23-2011 09:40 AM

Thanks.

As it turns out I will need a tow truck to move it because it has to move 8 blocks.

I guess it makes sense to have the tow truck first lift it and then get under it ?

The switch on the passenger side of the tranmission sounds easiest versus using whats left of the cable right ?

I would be doing it myself. Do I need any tools to use the switch ?

I want to be ready and prepared when the tow truck gets there.

Earthworm 06-23-2011 09:58 AM

You will be able to move the switch by hand. I don't think you need to move the switch for towing but you must not tow with the rear tires on the ground or you will damage the transmission.

svxpensive 06-23-2011 10:27 AM

I wanted to have it in neutral so I can manuver it into what will be a tight parking spot at the garage its going to. The flatbed tow truck will actually have a tough time getting inside the door of the garage so having it in neutral is critical.

Also, just to be clear, my shifter is sliding up and down. It is not locked into position at all.

About 2 1/2 years ago I ordered this cable myself because the shifter was locked into Park. I had a friend install it. (He moved out of town to find work and I do not have his contact info.)

After he installed the cable the shifter would always want to go into 2nd whenever I put it in Drive until one day it just started sliding.

I am thinking that its possible that the cable is not stripped or broken but simply came loose. What do you think about that theory based on the info I just gave you.

Btw, is the pasenger side switch right under the shifter or towards the front or towards the back ?

icingdeath88 06-23-2011 10:40 AM

The shifter cable attaches to the switch on the transmission forward of the shifter, on the passenger side of the transmission.

Best bet is to get under the car and have a look.

LastSVXintheChi 06-23-2011 11:55 AM

Sorry this doesnt have anything to do with your shifter cabls issue...but I just noticed youre up here by me! Nice :D:cool:

svxpensive 06-23-2011 12:09 PM

Cool beans man.

Earthworm 06-23-2011 12:21 PM

No problems rolling the car around in neutral...just no towing with the back wheels on the ground.

1986nate 06-23-2011 09:44 PM

I had the pin that holds the cable break apart on one of mine once. Not the safest thing, but I started it up in park, Pulled the e-brake as hard as I could, opened up the hood, and reached down to the gear selector on the passenger side of the transmission to put it into drive, while at the same time ready to pop it back in neutral in case it happened to start moving. And was able to get back in the car and drive it home where I put the cable back on with a new pin.

It can be done without crawling on the ground.:)

*disclaimer, I do not advise anyone to use the above method and am not responsible should injury occur to you, your car, or bystanders.

svxpensive 06-24-2011 09:28 AM

I got it in neutral from underneath and had it towed on a flatbed last night.

Now I am trying to find the part.
I called the dealer and he said its part# 35151PA000 for $104.

Anyone know another place to get this part from ? Most online stores dont seem to have it.
Also is this a part thats a good idea to get used ?

dbarnblatt 06-24-2011 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxpensive (Post 679913)
I got it in neutral from underneath and had it towed on a flatbed last night.

Now I am trying to find the part.
I called the dealer and he said its part# 35151PA000 for $104.

Anyone know another place to get this part from ? Most online stores dont seem to have it.
Also is this a part thats a good idea to get used ?

Subaruparts.com has it for $68.73... here.

svxpensive 06-24-2011 12:28 PM

Thanks a million everyone. I just ordered the part.

This forum is awesome.

One more question.

How much time should it take a mechanic to remove the old cable and put this new one in ?

Earthworm 06-24-2011 01:50 PM

A good mechanic should be able to install the cable in an hour or less.

1986nate 06-24-2011 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Earthworm (Post 679930)
A good mechanic should be able to install the cable in an hour or less.

What he said^:)