The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   What to do...what to do... (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24294)

CigarJohnny 02-04-2005 04:10 PM

What to do...what to do...

After some hunting and insurance dealings, I have found a replacement for the Batmobile which was stolen just after Christmas. Only problem is that the car I am buying is in Kentucky, in particular, in Huck's driveway. Not a problem in and of itself but I am over 500 miles away in Eastern PA and that does pose a problem. I am posting this poll to get opinions on how I should get myself down there to pick up this historic SVX. I still haven't made up my mind which route to follow but money is a concern. :rolleyes: Your thoughts might help me decide one way or another. :)

Johnny

michael 02-04-2005 04:31 PM

What about a bus? That is proably about the cheapest.

SEA Sleeper 02-04-2005 04:41 PM

If you caught an early fight you could drive back the same day. Or the next. You're already going to be spending a few extra bucks to pick your new toy up, you might as well consider time vs. $$ also.

Just my $.02

I got lucky, my SVX was near a relative's house and was only about 200 mi away.

Good luck!

So... what kind of alarm system have you picked out for your new one :confused: :D

immortal_suby 02-04-2005 05:00 PM

Rent a car - your wife will thank you for it. (and you can stop at Southern Exposure on the way home) ;)

benebob 02-04-2005 06:54 PM

Honestly take the plane!

Extra day off work to spend with your new pearlie when you get down instead of driving a rental.
Gas to get down $40
Extra 8 hours in the car (possibly with the wife telling you how crazy you are and how you better hope she doesn't fall asleep by herself on the trip back), only to turn around and do it again
I actually think you're probably more than 500 miles too.

Subafreak 02-04-2005 07:13 PM

What about the train or bus? A bit cheaper than a plane and much faster than driving (wile the train anyway) :rolleyes:

Ciscokid 02-04-2005 07:18 PM

I chose #2.

#1 would just be too much on the little lady, women hate driving long distances, I can only imagine my ex-wife following me for 8 hours, I could probably hear the bickering with the radaio cranked up and the sunroof open.

#s 3 and 4 would cost more than 2. I rented a car and drove it from Boston to Norfolk, VA and it cost me 215.00 one way, throw in the cost of gas and it goes over 250.

I agree with micheal and freak....try a bus or shop for better air fares.

Good luck and grats on the buy!!

**I will have a similar situation in a month or so...tomssvx is 350 miles away and when I go get his car I will be exploring options too.

Subafreak 02-04-2005 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Ciscokid

**I will have a similar situation in a month or so...tomssvx is 350 miles away and when I go get his car I will be exploring options too.

Yeah! ROAD TRIP!!!:D

Ciscokid 02-04-2005 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Subafreak

Yeah! ROAD TRIP!!!:D

Oh yeah!!

Although......350 isn't too bad, heck, I drive 100 miles each way to your shop :p

Subafreak 02-04-2005 07:50 PM

Quote:

Oh yeah!!

Although......350 isn't too bad, heck, I drive 100 miles each way to your shop :p

Heck, I drove something like 1,800 miles in three days on the Tri-state run:cool:

350 ain;t nuthin.:D

Alycone 02-04-2005 11:27 PM

Quote:

#1 would just be too much on the little lady, women hate driving long distances

I've always enjoyed long drives. :confused:

Seraph 02-05-2005 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Alycone

I've always enjoyed long drives. :confused:

offer still stands for Reading.

Sybaris 02-05-2005 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Subafreak

Heck, I drove something like 1,800 miles in three days on the Tri-state run:cool:

350 ain;t nuthin.:D

Amateur

I brought mine back from Oregon. 2200 miles in 34 hours.

:eek:

Subafreak 02-05-2005 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Sybaris

Amateur

I brought mine back from Oregon. 2200 miles in 34 hours.

:eek:

Yeah.....uh, OK you got me beat.:eek:

PDSides 02-05-2005 08:28 AM

Hey buddy, save money and hitch-hike. Go to a nearby truck stop and ask around about a ride to near your destination. Lay out your problem and your objective. Truckers are often very sympathetic to someone who has a real mission to fulfill, as long as they don't come across too creepy or weird. Get as close as you can and ask Huck to come pick you up when you call. This will give you a chance to meet some interesting people, take a good look at your route and decide on alternatives and save some money in the process. Then you can relax and enjoy the one-way drive back home. If this holds no appeal then pony up the bucks and take a plane, train or bus, but don't drive it both ways. By the way, a rental car might appear to be cheap, but the drop-off charges at an out-of-state destination might be high. Best wishes.
Preston