The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Film sighting (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=6002)

Mr. Pockets 09-18-2002 12:27 PM

Film sighting

Okay, so we watched Notting Hill <again> the other night. From inside a restaurant, outside rounding a corner, I could see...

...a five door Justy! YAY!

Sorry, that's probably a let-down for most of you.

I'll use this opportunity to update everyone (whether they like it or not) on my SVX news. The tranny deal fell through, so my SVX will probably not be on the road this year. I'll call the insurance company this week and officially put it in storage.

I have another tranny lined up, but it won't be available until this winter. My garage isn't heated and I don't drive the SVX in the winter, so it'll have to wait until spring to get installed.

Poo.

So, I'll have to continue to drive the SVX in my dreams (no kidding - I really do) and wait for the real thing.

I've considered rebuilding the tranny myself, but it seems like the sort of thing that you have to learn by doing, and I'd rather not wreck mine (well, more than it already is) trying. So, for now, a home rebuild is out of the picture.

$VX 09-18-2002 12:48 PM

You know what you should do before you store it? Pull the dead transmission. You could take it apart in your basement, put it back together, take it apart, put it back together, and maybe after enough rebuilding the junk tranny, you'd have the confidence to redo it yourself. >shrug<

Just an idea.

- Ca$h

Landshark 09-18-2002 01:21 PM

ok, i've been browsing the J.C. Whitney catalog on the subway to work. in addition to that 8-ball shift knob i really want, i saw this:
ATSG automatic transmission manuals - complete guides on how YOU can tear-down, inspect, rebuild, diagnose, & troubleshoot.....time-saving shortcuts used by the pros......blah blah blah. 4EAT manual......part #12TS37848, $14.99
i may get it just for some bathroom reading :D

Aredubjay 09-18-2002 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Landshark
We are some sad, sad people, aren't we? My wife thought it was weird when she went into the bathroom and found that I'd replaced all my neat-o electronic gadgets catalogues with . . . . . .
My SVX Shop Manuals. :eek:

Mr. Pockets 09-18-2002 01:42 PM

Quote:

ok, i've been browsing the J.C. Whitney catalog on the subway to work. in addition to that 8-ball shift knob i really want, i saw this:
ATSG automatic transmission manuals - complete guides on how YOU can tear-down, inspect, rebuild, diagnose, & troubleshoot.....time-saving shortcuts used by the pros......blah blah blah. 4EAT manual......part #12TS37848, $14.99

Thanks, Alan - I'll look for the manual. The 4EAT was used in several different cars, and I doubt the manual covers our version's AWD parts. I'd also have to dig into the diff.

For those of you who have them, how thoroughly do the factory manuals cover the tranny and diff? Are they strictly remove-replace instructions or do they cover tear-down and rebuild?

Landshark 09-18-2002 01:44 PM

even without AWD info, its cheap enough to have as some backup reference material. good-luck!

Mr. Pockets 09-18-2002 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by $VX
You know what you should do before you store it? Pull the dead transmission. You could take it apart in your basement, put it back together, take it apart, put it back together, and maybe after enough rebuilding the junk tranny, you'd have the confidence to redo it yourself. >shrug<

Just an idea.

- Ca$h

I've considered that, and I might. We'll see. I also have a 'friend of the family' who owns a tranny shop in Milwaukee. I could remove the tranny, take it to him to be rebuilt, and bring it home. But I haven't yet gotten a price from him and I sorta worry about any tweaks needed after the thing is rebuilt. What if it isn't done properly? I wouldn't know until a week or so (at least) after he did it and I had it back in the car...

<sigh> The 'plan B' used tranny is still my current 'plan A,' because it works well right now - and probably will continue to work well in my car. :)

svxy 09-18-2002 06:54 PM

sacrifice

I say pour tranmissionfluid over it, light a match, pray to the transmission Gods, and use it as a sacrifice.

Green1995SVX 09-18-2002 07:30 PM

Quote:

even without AWD info, its cheap enough to have as some backup reference material. good-luck!
I'll probably pick one up. I'll call in that order tomorrow. WHEEE

Mike