The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Valve cover gaskets - How the F do you get the cover back in place?? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50991)

Black88GTA 07-18-2009 03:45 PM

Valve cover gaskets - How the F do you get the cover back in place??

I'm attempting to do my valve cover gaskets...this might be a dumb question, but how the hell do you get the drivers' side valve cover back in place? There doesn't seem to be enough clearance around the cam gears to get it back in there. And the f*$#ing gasket keeps falling out of it. :mad: I had a ***** of a time pulling it out too. This is pissing me off to no end.

Are there any tricks for getting it back in there with the gasket still on it?

immortal_suby 07-18-2009 04:24 PM

Re: Valve cover gaskets - How the F do you get the cover back in place??

It's a puzzle.

On my wife's svx I actually jacked the engine up slightly and then it slid right in.
On mine I just had to maneuver it quite a bit and then it finally fit.

Crazy_pilot 07-18-2009 04:26 PM

It's one of those things that you fight with for 2 hours, then it finally just falls into place. I put a dab of silicon in the corners to hold the gasket in place.

SoCal LS-L 07-18-2009 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by immortal_suby (Post 610045)
It's a puzzle.

On my wife's svx I actually jacked the engine up slightly and then it slid right in.
On mine I just had to maneuver it quite a bit and then it finally fit.

This is good advice, use a block of wood between the bottom of the oil pan and the jack. Also as Chris said you should have some gasket silicone on the corners anyways, many here have had bad leaks on the corners right after install if they didnt use the silicone, and it will help the gasket stay put. As fun as the VC gaskets are, you dont want to do them twice.

redlightningsvx 07-18-2009 06:13 PM

Did you use the how to on this I have? I mentioned as Crazy Pilot said to use silicone on the corners.

Black88GTA 07-18-2009 07:12 PM

Ugh, what a nightmare. Thanks for the tips all. I fought with it forever, and it finally went - but in the process of trying to get it in place, I tore the gasket a little. :mad: I bolted it up anyway, in the hope that it would seal :rolleyes: but of course it's dripping now. And tomorrow is Sunday, so I can't even get a new gasket. Now I'm really glad I got my BMW back on the road a couple weeks ago, otherwise I'd be SOL for a ride to work on Monday.

I used the how-to, it was very helpful for everything, except I just couldn't get that stupid cover back on. I tried the silicone in the corners, but it fell out anyway. I think I may have used too much. I ended up just putting the damn cover in place with the gasket all falling out of it, and then once it was sort of in the proper position, I went around with my fingers and pushed the gasket into the groove just before pushing it into place and bolting it up.

Now I have to get a new gasket, and do it all over again when I can get to it. Won't be for 3 weeks at the earliest :(