The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Oldsmobile Aurora - Anyone have/had one? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=11175)

Stevebsy 06-05-2003 07:55 AM

Oldsmobile Aurora - Anyone have/had one?

I'm looking at replacing the family truckster Olds 88 with either a 99 or 01 Aurora 4.0. Anybody here ever own one of these?

Any chaos or mayhem I should expect? It doesn't look like a ton of fun to work on with that big ole V8 shoehorned in there, but oh well...it'll be a good ride for the Mrs. All the reviews I've read so far say that they are pretty good, and for the price that these can be nearly stolen for, they are very hard to refuse :D

Related...anyone have an open carfax account currently? I may need to run a few VINs and would appreciate the help.

thumper_svx 06-05-2003 08:14 AM

I've not owned one... but I have had the pleasure of driving one for about a month at one point. First, my impressions of the car; (this is for the '99... I haven't had the opportunity to drive a 2001)

1. Very comfortable ride, though not as fast as it looks. Definitely less acceleration than similar V8 competitors but more than acceptable on the highway. I think my Acura TL accelerates better.

2. An interior that's quiet and very easy to spend time in, but some cheap and chintzy parts. Hey, it's GM!

3. Engine seems relatively easy to work on, though space is tight under that hood.

4. Got about 19-20mpg on average. Not bad... but burns premium.

Okay, now some caveats from the mechanic whose Aurora I was driving;

1. This car also has a weak transmission. Figure about 85,000 to 100,000 miles and the tranny will need rebuilt. Heat buildup also seems to be the problem, and a cooler does seem to do the trick (the one I drove was at 130,000... cooler was installed with rebuild at 90,000)

2. Water pump will detonate with zero warning, but runs for a while.

Could be a good car if you take care of it.

As I said, this is all '99 model year, never driven a 2000.

Hope this helps!

Beav 06-05-2003 08:24 AM

Not to mention that the crankcase is split at the crank, like a girdle. When it leaks (and they usually do) it's pull the engine and flip it over time. $$$$ Just about anything to do with the engine is expensive. BTW - 'pulling the engine' is a colloquialism, it drops out from the bottom, on the cradle, with the tranny, etc.

I think they're kinda cool cars, in a Toronado (original) sort of way. I'd just be leery about buying one.

Pure_Insanity8 06-05-2003 06:12 PM

Well, I have one as my daily driver. It is a '95 and got it for a steal (or though it seemed) a little less than two years ago for 7 grand with 75,000 miles. I had to put in some work right off the bat due to neglect and a shady dealership. They are a little tough to work on and if you can't do the work yourself (like me, dernit) it will cost a pretty penny do get just about anything fixed. I've had a buch of problems with mine, from what I've heard they are uncommon ones. My transmission is messed up again, after getting it pulled and fixed shortly after purchase.:mad: I also got a crack in the block by the exhaust manifold... leaked coolan like mad... stopleak has kept her alive pretty well. Control arms are shot again after replacing them a month ago.:mad:

I like the car. Pretty comfy and easy to use dash controls since they are aimed at the driver. I think it is actully pretty quick. I often lose of a stop (due to 4000 lb curb weight) but once she gets rolling... reels most in with no problem. I have taken down a new BMW 330i (I believe), lincoln mark VIII, STS's, A4s, Celica GTSs, eclipses (turbo), a really nice Acura TL or RL (was a little tough... he had a big jump on me). She ain't too shabby.:D

I like the battery placement... under the rear seat. I average around 18-20 mpg. Sounds real nice with intake silencer removed.:D I like them for the most part... I'd go for it if you can get one in good shape for cheap. Just remember that it basically a Cadillac (many shared parts) and small problems can cost you.

Chicane 06-05-2003 06:56 PM

I think they're cool. I remember hot rod put in a nitrous kit on a rental Aurora.... it HAULED ASS....

- Rob

PS: I like the S/Cd Buick Rivs better, but they're 2 door.

Subafreak 06-05-2003 08:31 PM

Don't get one!