The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Engine stalling, need new "Auxilliary Idle Control Valve"? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=35718)

SVXdc 10-19-2006 04:38 PM

Engine stalling, need new "Auxilliary Idle Control Valve"?

A couple of nights ago, my '96 started stalling if I did not keep the revs above ~1000rpm. In order to crank it, I had to keep my foot on the gas.

I read the ECU [correction: TCU] fault code (using the shift D/3/2/1 manu-button technique) and got code 23 "Engine Revolution Sensor".

Does anyone have any further information about this fault?

I've taken it to a Subaru dealer, and they've determined that I need a new "Auxilliary Idle Control Valve" for about $244 plus 2hrs labor.

I tried looking up the part number they gave me (14467AA02A) on SubaruParts.com, but can't find it.

This thread started by Landshark from a few years back talks about the "auxilliary idle air control valve". Is that the same part? Beav said it should only need to be cleaned, not replaced. That fix would sure make me $244 happier.

Earthworm 10-19-2006 04:47 PM

You scanned the TCU fault code...not the ECU code. Does the check engine light come on or stay on? Find someone with an OBD-II reader to confirm and engine codes.

SVXdc 10-19-2006 04:55 PM

The "check engine" light did not stay on. I think it came on while the engine was stalled -- it seemed to be the normal mode for when you turn the key to "on" but have not cranked the engine, where most of the dash indicators light up.

The dealer did use an ODBII scanner. The error message was slightly different than the above, but similar (I don't remember the exact wording it showed). It was still somewhat non-specific as to the cause.

svx_commuter 10-19-2006 06:13 PM

Cleaning the throttle body comes to mind. I think you don't have any codes to care about. The CE would be on if a sensor failed or misfired occured for OBDII.

SVXRide 10-19-2006 07:32 PM

Beav's got it right! Pull the TB off and then pull the AICV off the bottom of it. Clean both with TB cleaner, let dry, and reinstall
-Bill

oab_au 10-19-2006 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVXRide
Beav's got it right! Pull the TB off and then pull the AICV off the bottom of it. Clean both with TB cleaner, let dry, and reinstall
-Bill

Bill that is fine for the Idle Air Control Valve,:) but it is the Auxiliary Air Valve that is the problem. It is under the left hand, rear of inlet manifold. The inlet hose, to the AAV, runs off the left hand side of the air box that connects to the throttle bodies. If you pull the hose off the air box, you should be able to blow through it when the engine is cold. If you can't, the valve is stuck. Spray some carb cleaner into the AAV to unstuck it. :)

Harvey.;)

SVXRide 10-19-2006 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oab_au
Bill that is fine for the Idle Air Control Valve,:) but it is the Auxiliary Air Valve that is the problem. It is under the left hand, rear of inlet manifold. The inlet hose, to the AAV, runs off the left hand side of the air box that connects to the throttle bodies. If you pull the hose off the air box, you should be able to blow through it when the engine is cold. If you can't, the valve is stuck. Spray some carb cleaner into the AAV to unstuck it. :)

Harvey.;)

D'oh! I've got to get more sleep before posting:rolleyes::p
-Bill

SVXdc 10-19-2006 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oab_au
... it is the Auxiliary Air Valve that is the problem. It is under the left hand, rear of inlet manifold. The inlet hose, to the AAV, runs off the left hand side of the air box that connects to the throttle bodies. ...

I have not been able to find a diagram that shows the Aux. Air Valve.

But in this diagram...

http://www.subaruparts.com/subaru.diag/2A/i073A-1.gif

(the "Air duct" diagram, showing the "Boot-air intake")

Is the inlet hose to the AAV that you are talking about the hose labeled H512191 or the short tube labeled "refer to fig. 82A" ?

billb 10-20-2006 09:34 AM

If you look in my locker you will see a writeup on the Aux. Air Valve and the Idle air control valve (usually called the IAC). There's a lot of photos there too. It explains the valves, where they are and how to clean them. Briefly, the Aux. air valve is only open when the car is cold. It allows extra air in while the engine is cold. After the car warms up, it closes down. As it closes, the idle speed drops. When the valve has completely closed, the engine should idle at 610 rpm.

If your problem is only when the engine is cold, it could be the Aux. air valve.

The IAC holds the engine idle at 610 rpm after warmup. It can get gunked up and be cleaned.

The diagram you referenced above doesn't show either one of these valves.

SVXdc 10-20-2006 09:37 AM

Found the correct diagram and the part the dealer said I need to replace...

Image: http://www.subaruparts.com/subaru.diag/2/i036-A.gif

Page on SubaruParts.com, category 036A-1 "Water Pipe (1)" (now requires registration/login)

Part number 14467 "Valve assembly-auxiliary air" $110.76

Although the diagram for the 92 is slightly different, the same part is listed there too.

I don't see how this aux. valve could be causing my stalling problem. After re-reading Jason's post in the "Confused" thread, it sounds like the 'primary' valve is more likely the culprit. Can any other experts confirm?

Added: Problem persisted even after engine was hot.

billb 10-20-2006 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVXdc
I have not been able to find a diagram that shows the Aux. Air Valve.

But in this diagram...

(the "Air duct" diagram, showing the "Boot-air intake")

Is the inlet hose to the AAV that you are talking about the hose labeled H512191 or the short tube labeled "refer to fig. 82A" ?

Nope. It comes off of the other one, where it says Fig. 36.

SVXdc 10-20-2006 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billb
Quote:

Nope. It comes off of the other one, where it says Fig. 36.

Thanks. After I finally found diagram 36 I figured that out.

Quote:

If you look in my locker you will see a writeup on the Aux. Air Valve and the Idle air control valve (usually called the IAC).
Ah! I hadn't noticed the Word doc before. That helped a lot. Wish I had found that before I went to the dealer.

One question I still have: Where does the inlet hose to the (primary) Idle Air Control Valve come from? I'm not seeing any stubs for it on the "Air Intake Boot" page (fig. 073A), or the "Air Intake" page (fig. 071K).

billb 10-20-2006 10:43 AM

Quote:

One question I still have: Where does the inlet hose to the (primary) Idle Air Control Valve come from? I'm not seeing any stubs for it on the "Air Intake Boot" page (fig. 073A), or the "Air Intake" page (fig. 071K).

Look at my photo 10 for a picture of the tube attached to the IAC valve. The open end of that tube can be reached by standing on the passenger side of the car and reaching down between the main air intake tube and the firewall. It stubs off of the air tube back there. I didn't take a photo of it in the car because you can't really see it very well.

SVXdc 10-20-2006 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billb
... [from the] passenger side of the car [reach] down between the main air intake tube and the firewall. It stubs off of the air tube back there. ...

That helped -- I looked more closely at the Air Duct diagram (073A) and noticed the "Refer to Fig. 050A" above the Air Boot. Figure 50, "Intake Manifold," shows the hose flying in space (and the hose has no connection with the parts on figure 50 otherwise).

cdigerlando 10-20-2006 12:12 PM

Aac

When you find it, try cleaning it up again before buying a new one. There is not much too this part to go wrong. It does seem like that is what the problem is with the car from the symtoms you decribe.