The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   5spd VS auto, the verdict (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=11561)

Phast SVX 06-24-2003 12:53 AM

5spd VS auto, the verdict

1 Attachment(s)
A picture tells a thousand words.....

Landshark 06-24-2003 06:29 AM

Re: 5spd VS auto, the verdict

Quote:

Originally posted by Phast SVX
A picture tells a thousand words.....
is that Rob's SVX? if it is, it doesn't count - everyone knows he has the slowest SVX in North America. :D j/k

if you're "hooked up" with mirrors and vents, the 5-speed isn't even a challenge. :D

RRX 06-24-2003 06:59 AM

Thats a big difference. Wish i had the money to get 5-speed right now. Now I know its a must have!!

marlettpat 06-24-2003 08:35 AM

ill take ya once i get my akkelaraton mods!:D j/k
what did you run?

lhopp77 06-24-2003 09:32 AM

Drivers?

Should have swapped drivers and seen how the results changed. I am sure the 5 spd would still take it, but maybe not by as much.

Lee

SVXx4

GreenMarine 06-24-2003 03:26 PM

Re: Re: 5spd VS auto, the verdict

Quote:

Originally posted by Landshark

is that Rob's SVX? if it is, it doesn't count - everyone knows he has the slowest SVX in North America. :D j/k

if you're "hooked up" with mirrors and vents, the 5-speed isn't even a challenge. :D

Dude, what's wrong with Rob's SVX??? I've heard people pick on his car for about a week now... Is it really true or are ya just messing with him??

Chicane 06-24-2003 03:42 PM

NOTHING IS WRONG WITH MY CAR. I have no shift flares, my oil is new, my transmission is fine, my AWD is fine. I leak a little oil, and my exhaust has a leak also. I have 149k miles.

Swapping drivers would do nothing... if anything, after practice I might be faster than Phil (shrug) since all of my previous cars were stick.

There is no 'secret' to drag racing an automatic transmissioned car, and I'm a little annoyed.... especially that Damn guy. He claims I don't know how to drive.

PEOPLE. Driving an AUTOMATIC in a straight line... ARGH. What do you do? YOU HIT THE GAS.

There is no such thing as a 'better driver' when you're drag racing an automatic. There is no technique. There are no tips. You just keep it pointed straight and the pedal down.

The SVX with a 5spd is just a LOT faster than the slug-o-matic.

- Rob

Chicane 06-24-2003 03:59 PM

Note: I did NOT brake torque or nuetral drop. I don't think an extra tenth or two is worth replacing my tranny anytime soon....

- Rob

oab_au 06-24-2003 05:49 PM

Lets even it up !!!!

Don't worry Rob. With 4.11:1 ratios in the auto.

Phill would be peering through the tyre smoke, wondering where the auto went. :D :D :D

Harvey.;)

Tarostar 06-24-2003 06:03 PM

What were the times for both cars, if you please?

Tarostar 06-24-2003 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Chicane

There is no 'secret' to drag racing an automatic transmissioned car, and I'm a little annoyed.... especially that Damn guy. He claims I don't know how to drive.

PEOPLE. Driving an AUTOMATIC in a straight line... ARGH. What do you do? YOU HIT THE GAS.

There is no such thing as a 'better driver' when you're drag racing an automatic. There is no technique. There are no tips. You just keep it pointed straight and the pedal down.

- Rob

I would like to disagree. For most automatics, this may be true, but for some stomping on the pedal is not quite as fast as handling the car with a bit of finese. For the most part this depends on the character of the car and probably also on the shape of the tranny. My first example is my old V8 TBird. Stomping on the gas would give you a great takeoff, but for some reason doing so would cause the car to lose its bite from 30-60. A 3/4ths acceleration at the start would allow a better 0-60 and a much better 1/4. My SVX requires even more attention to get a better run. Slamming the pedal down from zero in it may get the power light to come on, but it causes a brief lull while she gets herself ready. It may not be a huge difference, but if I once again dont go all out on the start I end up with a better run and its probably not as harsh on the tranny to boot. Of course, there is much more to a manual, but in some cases there is a bit of skill required to get the most from an automatic.

Chicane 06-24-2003 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Tarostar
but if I once again dont go all out on the start I end up with a better run and its probably not as harsh on the tranny to boot. Of course, there is much more to a manual, but in some cases there is a bit of skill required to get the most from an automatic.
.... I never did that, maybe that would have helped. Honestly, I don't care. I love my SVX, but I hate this stupid automatic transmission. Manual transmissions are just SUPERIOR. Better MPG, better acceleration, more control, ability to downshift, and more fun.

I hate automatics, its like strapping training wheels to your bike. Blech. I don't have the slightest clue how they work, all I know is they're complicated, have a torque convertor instead of a clutch, and they suck. :p

- Rob

PS: Phil ran a best of 15.5, I ran a best of 16.7..... however keep in mind it was 91 degrees and really humid

Tarostar 06-24-2003 06:44 PM

I agree, manuals are far superior.

immortal_suby 06-24-2003 08:01 PM

A "normal" auto would be superior for bracket racing. More consistent times - I hate the svx tranny for its seemingly inconsistent launches but Chris seems to report kicking the hell outta alot of people in brackets. In day to day driving with no stopwatch it seems to have a mind of its own.

Launching an svx with a slushbox is not point and shoot.

A properly matched stick would be faster though. I really hate wondering if the svx is gonna launch fast "this time" or not. I really despise the software engineer who burned the svx ECU and TCU. He/she should be flogged.

Phast SVX 06-24-2003 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by immortal_suby
I really hate wondering if the svx is gonna launch fast "this time" or not. I really despise the software engineer who burned the svx ECU and TCU. He/she should be flogged.
I hear you, that is the main reason i was not going to put the slushbox back in. Its incredibly unpredicatle, and the car feels like a new beast now, weather it is faster or not :)
phil