The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Wiper traveling off glass (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=20825)

Bill Z 08-20-2004 09:20 PM

Wiper traveling off glass

What is the best way to reset the driver's wiper position so that at the limit of its stroke, it does not travel off of the glass? Thanks. Bill Z

Earthworm 08-20-2004 10:45 PM

Remove the rubber cap at the base of the wiper arm, remove the nut underneath, remove the arm and reinstall at adjusted position.

SubaSteevo 08-20-2004 11:54 PM

On a related wiper question:

My intermittant function has never quite worked right. When the dial is on its lowest setting the wipers are very slow, the speed does not change until it hits the highest setting, at which point the speed is just slightly slower than the 'Low' position. Would installing a new control arm fix this?

mbtoloczko 08-21-2004 01:25 AM

Re: Wiper traveling off glass

Quote:

Originally posted by Bill Z
What is the best way to reset the driver's wiper position so that at the limit of its stroke, it does not travel off of the glass? Thanks. Bill Z
Just checking, ... do you know that there is a switch under the dash that sets the front wipers between winter and other seasons? In winter position, the wipers park on the glass. For other seasons, the wipers park below the glass. SVX wipers have a rubber nub on them that rests against the rubber bumpers below the glass.

BoondockSVX 08-21-2004 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by BurgundyBeast
On a related wiper question:

My intermittant function has never quite worked right. When the dial is on its lowest setting the wipers are very slow, the speed does not change until it hits the highest setting, at which point the speed is just slightly slower than the 'Low' position. Would installing a new control arm fix this?

The SVX has speed sensative wipers. Were you testing the intermittent stuff while the car was stopped? If so, that's the problem.

Mr. Pockets 08-21-2004 10:50 AM

Just so we're clear on this, do you mean that the wiper travels beyond its usual limits, or that it's lifting off the windshield when the car is at speed?

Bill Z 08-21-2004 07:24 PM

Thanks for the replies. The wiper is not lifting off the window at speed , but extends all the way over onto the driver's a-pillar on some strokes. I've had this car since new, and this has just started. Bill Z

SubaSteevo 08-21-2004 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by BoondockSVX

The SVX has speed sensative wipers. Were you testing the intermittent stuff while the car was stopped? If so, that's the problem.

Nope, while moving. So my wipers only have 4 speeds: Really Slow, just below 'Low', 'Low', and 'High'. My wipers do the same thing that Bill's do as well. If the wipers are set on the 'High' speed, they will move past the edge of the windshield while in motion.

Earthworm 08-23-2004 07:17 PM

My wipers rest on the rubber stops at the bottom like they're supposed to. They also lightly tap the a-pillar when in use.

HighwayUFO 08-23-2004 07:57 PM

If your concerned about the travel past the windshield, try replacing the wiper with the next smaller size on the driver side. This will not diminish quality of viewable wiped surface while raining. Just an idea:)

Keith

Earthworm 08-23-2004 11:00 PM

That's not going to help. The wiper is almost exactly vertical when it hits the pillar. It's not just the tip that hits.

bcpianoman 04-15-2006 12:19 PM

wiper travel too long

I thought I’d breathe life back into this thread to see if anyone ever came up with a solution. I’ve got the same problem. My driver’s side wiper travels so far to the left that it makes contact with the driver’s side pillar, but only for the fist few minutes after I turn the wipers on. After that, it seems to shorten the travel so as not to hit the pillar. Any ideas?

intelisevil 04-15-2006 02:26 PM

I've seen a few threads with this problem. None of them had come up with a conclusion other than "some SVXi have this problem". :confused:

As far as the adjustment that Earthworm suggested, my '92s don't have splined studs so all I had to do was loosen nut, adjust, tighten nut.

My wife had left the wipers on when she got to work, when she started the car to warm it up before she cleared the snow off, the driver's side wiper 'adjusted' itself so that it would only go about half way up the windshield. :eek: The car now has its own 1/4 drive ratchet with appropriate socket and my wife is "wiper adjustment cetified". ;)

dannmarr 04-15-2006 06:52 PM

As Earthworm mentioned, Take out the arm and re-adjust the position until the arm doesn't extend over the edge. This will take a few trys before you get it right. The SVX also has another speed setting that adjusts the timing of the wiping arms depending how fast you go, example; it will turn on normal at normal speeds- slow at slow speeds- and completly stop when the car is stoped. Hope this helps.

mbtoloczko 04-15-2006 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcpianoman
I thought I’d breathe life back into this thread to see if anyone ever came up with a solution. I’ve got the same problem. My driver’s side wiper travels so far to the left that it makes contact with the driver’s side pillar, but only for the fist few minutes after I turn the wipers on. After that, it seems to shorten the travel so as not to hit the pillar. Any ideas?

Did you know that the wipers have two "park" positions? There's a switch underneath the dash down by where your legs are located. I'd be willing to bet that your wipers are set to what I'll call the "deep" park position, where the wipers supposed to park off the windshield. I suspect that someone readjusted the wiper arms so that the wipers are parked on the windshield. If that was done, then the wipers will most definitely smack into the window pillars during operation.