The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Not Exactly SVX (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Experiences w/ totalled car? Anyone? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=32868)

Stevebsy 04-24-2006 10:24 PM

Experiences w/ totalled car? Anyone?

1 Attachment(s)
My wife just got in a collision today when someone decided to turn left in front of her :( She hit them w/ the front driver's side into their passenger side door.

They got a ticket, etc.. so it is definately not her fault. Now I just wonder what's going to happen to the car and the $$

It's a 2003 Hyundai XG350/L. Looking quickly, the damage does not look too severe, and the car is driveable, the AC still works, etc.. but the fender, bumper cover, headlight are no shot, and the hood is a ways out of alignment, probably bent a little, so I don't know if there is some frame damage underneath or not. I took it for a spin and it pulls slightly to the left, but not drastically.

I'm just wondering how much damage is needed to get it totalled out? Their insurance company is Allstate if that matters.

If it is totalled, that is our best option, because our gap insurance covers the gap, plus our deductible, plus it gives us $1000 towards a replacement vehicle, so we are hoping it will be totalled out :P We've been trying to sell it on autotrader for awhile now...

KBB retail for excellent condition, which of course it is no longer = $16k
KBB private party sale is $12-14 in varying conditions
KBB trade-in is from 9.5k - 11.4k depending on condition

What says the network?
Yes..this picture is crap, but it's dark out now..I'll update tomorrow

NapaBavarian 04-24-2006 10:50 PM

Hard to say if it is totalled, depending on insurance company it could be an estimate anywhere from 50-80% of what they deem the car to be worth, so the question is does your car have $8-10,000 in damage? And it depends on what similar cars have sold for, if texas has sales tax then the only real advantage of the car being totalled by the insurance company is that they pay you the value of the car plus sales tax minus deductible, quite often you can then buy the car back from the insurance company and resell it to a private party for more than you bought it back off the insurance company, make a little money there too.

subi-crosser 04-24-2006 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stevebsy
My wife just got in a collision today when someone decided to turn left in front of her :( She hit them w/ the front driver's side into their passenger side door.

They got a ticket, etc.. so it is definately not her fault. Now I just wonder what's going to happen to the car and the $$

It's a 2003 Hyundai XG350/L. Looking quickly, the damage does not look too severe, and the car is driveable, the AC still works, etc.. but the fender, bumper cover, headlight are no shot, and the hood is a ways out of alignment, probably bent a little, so I don't know if there is some frame damage underneath or not. I took it for a spin and it pulls slightly to the left, but not drastically.

I'm just wondering how much damage is needed to get it totalled out? Their insurance company is Allstate if that matters.

If it is totalled, that is our best option, because our gap insurance covers the gap, plus our deductible, plus it gives us $1000 towards a replacement vehicle, so we are hoping it will be totalled out :P We've been trying to sell it on autotrader for awhile now...

KBB retail for excellent condition, which of course it is no longer = $16k
KBB private party sale is $12-14 in varying conditions
KBB trade-in is from 9.5k - 11.4k depending on condition

What says the network?
Yes..this picture is crap, but it's dark out now..I'll update tomorrow

This is where the 70% rule comes in!!

If the cost of repairs exceeds 70% of the value of the car, it will be totaled.

However, RECENT reciepts may increase the value of the car.( to high book)

Jerry

Noir 04-24-2006 11:25 PM

you better find a way to kill the engine steve. ;) it doesn't look totalled in my opinion. ;)

huck369 04-25-2006 05:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noir
you better find a way to kill the engine steve. ;) it doesn't look totalled in my opinion. ;)

I'm with Harry......

Does this mean I'll be seeing you before the Dragon?

As currently the RS is the only car I have to drive (plus my Bikes), and I'll need to try to speed up my SVX at the paint shop....

jeffast 04-25-2006 04:49 PM

that's pretty repairable to me

DarknessofDeath 04-25-2006 04:55 PM

doesn't seem to be a major hit.
looks as though you can write it off