The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Where to get tires round ? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=40455)

svx_commuter 08-25-2007 04:46 AM

Where to get tires round ?

My belt sander crapped out yesterday:(

Does anybody remember a post by the "Mean Green Polo Machine" on this subject? or where to get this done?

I think I remember him saying there was a shop he was using for this but I can find any threads.

I am looking for the shop that can machine down or remove tread from the outside of a tire.

Thanks

svxcess 08-25-2007 08:14 AM

That was me (before I became the Pristine Green Polo Machine)

This was my post from August 2001:
Quote:

Give Radial Tire Co. in Silver Spring MD a call at 301-585-2740 and talk to either Paul or Sam. I bought my Yokohama AVS db tires for $104.00 each. Total package of 4 tires, valve stems, high speed balance, tax was $482.59

They are a performance tire shop and great to work with. When one of my rear tires started to wear unevenly on my pearlie, because of a small dent in one rim, he fixed the dent and removed all my tires and shaved them to perfect roundness and rebalanced them for no charge.
Sam and Paul Morcones (the owner) are still there. I know them very well and have bought MANY sets of tires from them, so maybe that's why the did not charge me. You have to get all four done to maintain the circumference between all of the tires for the AWD.
;

Hope this helps

svx_commuter 08-26-2007 05:19 AM

That's the one! Thanks John

A very professional tire shop you have there. I called all the tire shops from yellow pages in my area north NJ, NY and western PA and I can't find a shop to do this work.

I know this salesman down south near Atlanta that used to get this done to the car he drove. He drove about 100k miles a year. It was the first thing his shop always did, make the tires round after mounting, before balancing. It makes a for a very smooth riding vechicle.

shelfy 08-26-2007 10:17 AM

never heard of such a thing. hmmm.

immortal_suby 08-26-2007 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shelfy
never heard of such a thing. hmmm.

We do it every day in the tire making world. Some of the brand new tires you buy have already been ground once ;) The tread portion of the tire mould may be round, but if there is extra rubber when you fit it into the mould the extra has to move inward. Then after cooking inflate the tire and it will conform to the belts - the strongest part - and you may get a bulge in the tread.

The tires are inflated and run on a machine that checks balance, lateral pull, lateral variation, and false round - in microns - anything above spec but repairable will be ground.

svx_commuter 08-28-2007 09:41 AM

So what do you call this process of "making tires round"?

Who makes the machine that does this?

I am just trying to get more information on this and I am looking for a shop in my area that does this...... I am still looking........

I have some uneven tread wear from alignment and want to see if it is less costly to make the tire round again or to get a new one.

Thanks!

immortal_suby 08-28-2007 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svx_commuter
So what do you call this process of "making tires round"?

Who makes the machine that does this?

I am just trying to get more information on this and I am looking for a shop in my area that does this...... I am still looking........

I have some uneven tread wear from alignment and want to see if it is less costly to make the tire round again or to get a new one.

Thanks!

We just call it grinding. It is a machine made by my company so you won't see one like it outside of the company. I'm not at liberty to describe the machine because of this.
Sorry I can't be of more help. :o

crazyhorse 08-28-2007 05:10 PM

It's called "Truing". Even the most reputable shops don't do it much anymore. The MFR's make a much higher quality piece now. (as evidenced by the previous post about measuring fresh tire carcasses in microns)
The machine I saw several years ago was made by Hunter. It mounted the wheel, tire balancer style, then spun it slowly as a wide grinding wheel chewed at the tread.

svx_commuter 08-30-2007 07:33 AM

Hunter denies having this machine. I contacted them by e-mail looking for a local shop.

crazyhorse 08-30-2007 11:45 AM

hmmmmm I was pretty sure it was a Hunter machine. It was several years ago tho.

wawazat?? 09-02-2007 10:24 AM

John,
A lot of autocross guys "shave" their tires before use. Basically, they pay extra to have the the tread shaved from the tires (nutballs those types:rolleyes: :lol: ) to reduce the tread squirm and better the handling.

Anywho, you may wish to revise your search for race tire shops that offer the service. Tire rack does, but only on new tires they sell.

Todd

svx_commuter 09-04-2007 04:17 AM

Hello Todd,

How have you been?

I tried race shops around here and up near the Pocono speedway with no luck yet!

I know auto-X is not too popular around here.