The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Battery Died - Twice (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=31428)

Myxalplyx 02-08-2006 08:20 PM

Battery Died - Twice

My battery dies on me two nights in a row. :confused: No lights were left on or anything. Voltage of battery down to between 3-5 volts before jump starting. No problems before. Temps did drop recently below freezing. My Subarus have never liked this and I can depend on at least one doing this. Suprised the SVX did it. Anyone else this happens to when the temps drop below freezing?

dannmarr 02-08-2006 08:56 PM

Make sure your alternator is working. Use a volt meter on the alternator or buy a volt meter that plugs into the cigarette lighter.

ensteele 02-08-2006 09:45 PM

If your battery is going to go, it will be when the temps drop below freezing. :(

SSSVX 02-08-2006 10:24 PM

If that's the battery problem, that'll be the most simplest solution. :)

I assume no SVXi will be able to leave any lights on when the key is pulled from the ignition? (except the parking lights and hazard light)

TomsSVX 02-09-2006 12:43 AM

check the sun visor wires and make sure they are not causing a short and draining the battery

Tom

awdsvx 02-09-2006 07:50 AM

Battery

Quote:

Originally Posted by Myxalplyx
My battery dies on me two nights in a row. :confused: No lights were left on or anything. Voltage of battery down to between 3-5 volts before jump starting. No problems before. Temps did drop recently below freezing. My Subarus have never liked this and I can depend on at least one doing this. Suprised the SVX did it. Anyone else this happens to when the temps drop below freezing?

Also make sure that the alternator belt is not slipping. If is slipping also make sure there is tension on the belt, but I would just go ahead and change it out anyway just to make sure it is not the belt or the tension. It cost me $ 14.00 for a Good Year Poly-V Flextra #345k5 part number.

Just yesterday I finally had to change out my battery and a blown fusible link in the fuse box that is located in the engine bay.

Here is my orginal post:

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24469

Chiketkd 02-09-2006 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Myxalplyx

Never had a problem with that battery over the two years I owned the car. Did you hook up the connector for the trunk light? I disconnected it b/c it would drain the battery overnight.

Crazypolo95 02-09-2006 09:58 AM

Me To

Yes I Have Had The Same Thing Happend To Me Before. I Just Got A New Battery And Ran The Car For About 30min A Day. Just Keep Start Up The Car Every Day. But If It Is Not The Battery It Might Be The Spark Plugs.also Look At Your Fushes And See If They Are Ok.

svxfiles 02-09-2006 11:10 AM

Kevin,
either the car just misses Chi ke, or the constant polishing he used to do, constantly, would somehow charge the battery through static electricity.;)

TomsSVX 02-09-2006 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxfiles
Kevin,
either the car just misses Chi ke, or the constant polishing he used to do, constantly, would somehow charge the battery through static electricty.

hahahaha Ba...ZING!!!

Tom

Myxalplyx 02-09-2006 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxfiles
Kevin,
either the car just misses Chi ke, or the constant polishing he used to do, constantly, would somehow charge the battery through static electricity.;)

Good point! I haven't driven it much at all since the purchase. Maybe I should polish it up or something. :p Just waiting for a reason to drive it I guess. I did take it up to ***mph the other night and recorded it. I was.....trying to escape a road rager....yeah...that's it. :D Actually it was an experiment to see the limit of the 4.44s. Apparently, I need the Autobahn to find out. :(

Myxalplyx 02-12-2006 12:06 PM

I do not know if this has anything to do with the battery dying but the battery's CCA (Cold Cranking Amps) was 460. The CA (Cranking Amps) was 575.

I purchased a battery with a CCA of 800 and CA of 1000. Perhaps that should help things along in the colder temps. :D

ensteele 02-12-2006 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiketkd
Never had a problem with that battery over the two years I owned the car. Did you hook up the connector for the trunk light? I disconnected it b/c it would drain the battery overnight.

Did you take that battery out when you sold the car and put in another old one? :eek: :rolleyes: ;) :D :D :p

Chiketkd 02-12-2006 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ensteele
Did you take that battery out when you sold the car and put in another old one? :eek: :rolleyes: ;) :D :D :p

Ha ha! No. It still had my old Interstate battery.

Myxalplyx, the battery you purchased is a serious monster! :eek: Dayum!!!!

-Chike

Earthworm 02-13-2006 12:33 PM

800CCA is probably the minimum I would use here.