The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   OOPS! Of all the crap (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=29830)

Budfreak 11-24-2005 07:43 PM

OOPS! Of all the crap

Well, My luck strikes again.:( On the way to my Mom's, the guy in front of me suddenly hit ice and hit his brakes and started slowing way down. My pedal only got to about 1/4 way when the tires locked up and i went into a deadslide right for the back of this dude. Well, you guessed it, I hit him at about 15 mph and picked his suzuki sidekick up onto my hood and carried him for about 10 feet. Good news is: His car was fine except a slightly bowed plastic rear bumper. Bad news: He was a retired state highway patrol officer:eek: and my hood got slightly bent down over the pass. headlight and grill. (good news considering what else could have gotten broke) i think i can fix the hood other than the paint which cracked on the edge. I don't think he's gonna due any thing about it either.(thank you god:)) Anyway, I hope you all had a little better Thanksgiving than me. Jason

ensteele 11-24-2005 08:29 PM

Sorry to hear that. That shows that you need to leave plenty of room between you and the car in front of you in those conditions. It could have been a lot worse, and it sounds like you came out ok considering what happened.

Chiketkd 11-24-2005 09:01 PM

Glad you're okay Jason. That's the most important thing! :)

-Chike

Electrophil 11-24-2005 09:13 PM

Whew!! That's a close one that it didn't total your car when it got up on the hood.

Hope it all works out. Did you remove your ABS for the track or is it that ABS locks up anyway on pure ice? (I seriously don't know... :confused: )

Rotorflyr 11-24-2005 11:23 PM

Jason,
Sorry to hear about your luck, glad your ok as there are worse things that could have happened then banging up the car.

As a reminder to all (especialy those who are "new" owners to an awd vehicle) AWD does nothing for stoping when conditions are slick!
Lets all be careful out there this winter for not only the sake of our cars, but for the sake of our loved ones as well. :)

Budfreak 11-25-2005 05:26 AM

Yeah, I'm ok and all and it is quite awesome that all it did was bend my hood a little. I could have broke my headlights and grille and all that.:eek: I had about 2 or 3 car lengths between us when he hit his brakes but basically his light little sidekick was slowing down much quicker than the svx. I barely touched the brakes and they were locked and I dropped it down into 1st gear too and everything. I just kept getting closer and closer and closer until BUMP!:eek: he was probally doing about 10 mph and me 15 when I hit him. I'll go out there Monday and fix it up as best i can and it will look pretty good hopefully. I'll try to get pics today to share with you all so you can see how lucky I got.:rolleyes: Thanks for your thoughts guys. Me and the wife are fine and the car will live. The cool part is that out of all the people trying to take RT.43 last night to steubenville, Me and a 2 4X4 trucks are the only ones who made it the whole way from Carrollton to Amsterdam. Everyone else wiped out all over the place. About a mile from where I hit the guy we saw another rear ender but it was much worse. So all in all I just count my blessings and be happy it wasn't worse and that THANK GOD I OWN A SUBARU!:D;)

P.S. I have the abs disconnected due to a bad front wheel sensor that makes my driver side brake pulse when coming to a normal stop.

SilverSpear 11-25-2005 06:41 AM

As Chike said, Glad that you are ok in the first place. When i first had my SVX like 5 years ago i had a similar accident, I went under the rear end of a 1990 Cherokee. I changed the hood, the fender, the right headlight and the AC radiator all brand new from the dealership. Nothing more was damaged except for that bar holding the radiator. The body shop guy had to pull it a little bit to the outside and everything became as good as new.

Nemesis Destiny 11-25-2005 07:26 AM

Echoing everyone else, glad you're ok.

I had a close call the other night that could have ended up like your situation. Somebody in the lane next to me (in a civic) wasn't paying attention and got all sideways right in front of me. Traffic was moving very slowly, so speed wasn't a factor... just a patch of slick road, I guess. I had a choice at that point: eat curb or t-bone him. I picked the curb, but thankfully avoided both. Still, my heart skipped a beat.

Lesson re-learned: even when you're doing everything you can to be as safe as possible, you can still get screwed by someone else.

Earthworm 11-25-2005 11:36 AM

Fortunately there's not much damage (popped airbags would write-off the SVX).

It's a little late now but you should consider getting winter tires. If you can avoid just one accident they've already paid for themselves.

Budfreak 11-25-2005 10:54 PM

Yes i'm definitely working on the tire situation. Mine are all seasons and have 20k miles on them now. I also want to get my abs working right.;)

Bipa 11-26-2005 02:17 AM

Whew! I'm glad that everyone came out okay and the damage was minimal. I know that horrible feeling on slick ice when you lose control. A real heart stopper :( Hubby always complains that I drive too timidly and leave too much distance in the winter, but I just call it being careful. Has saved me quite a few times in the mountains on twisty local roads where weather can be really strange.

Get those winter tires! Make a huge difference :)

msvx95 11-28-2005 10:10 AM

I shall echo as well.........Glad you are okay and everyone else involved. Sometimes no matter how much traction we have with AWD, it doesn't matter on ice or even slowing down in snow.....we are all equal in that aspect. I noticed alot of cars off the I-71 highway on my way to and from columbus on Thanksgiving.....especially with the 10 degree weather we just had....What a mess....I did feel safe in my SVX though....and my new pirelli's rock!...Except for that hidden black ice. :eek:

Budfreak 11-28-2005 10:15 PM

Now that the snow melted I also see my front bumper got roughed up too. I'm needing a hood and front bumper cover. Hopefully I can come up with some goodies from motorsportswarehouse to replace them with.:)

Nemesis Destiny 11-29-2005 05:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by budfreak1
Hopefully I can come up with some goodies from motorsportswarehouse to replace them with.:)

That's the spirit! ;) When life gives you lemons, make lemonade, or in this case, when you get a dented hood and scuffed bumper, get a carbon fibre WRX-style hood and Flatt Racing front air dam... :D