The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Body Modifications (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   Potential tail light mod (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=40470)

svxcess 08-26-2007 11:29 AM

Potential tail light mod

I have noticed that many of the newer cars have gone over to solid red lenses on the rear of their cars, including red turn signals, and away from the red/amber combination.

I am working on a modified taillight treatment. using red lens material, I am planning to cover the rear turn signals so that they blend in with the rest of the lens. When they flash, they should still be amber. backup lights wil remain as they are.

Option 2:

Same as above, except the backup lights are also covered, making the entire panel transparent red. The backup lights will then be wired to become additional brake lights only (coming on only with brakes, not as tail lights) I like the symmetry of solid clear across the front and solid red across the rear

From what I can tell, it is legal in MD. The law doesn't require backup lights, but states of you have them, they must be operational. In this mod it will look like they were never there.

If it bacame absolutely necessary, I would re-route my exhaust tips and put the backup lights in the bumper opening (as svxfiles did with his brake lights).

It will not look modded or ricey. In true svxcess fashion, if it doesn't look factory and like it came that way, I won't do it.

I'll know in about a week. My camera/computer issue is now resolved so "before and after" photos will be up quickly if I am successful.

Mike621 08-26-2007 10:06 PM

Eric and I had talked about doing something similar to the rear lenses on our cars when we were on our way to the auto-x meet.

ensteele 08-26-2007 11:04 PM

I am waiting with baited breath!!! :rolleyes: ;) :) :) :pics:

subbieatnz 08-27-2007 06:22 AM

cant wait 2 see how it turns out :)

94SubieSVX 08-27-2007 08:36 AM

I was daydreaming about this the other day:cool:

WestCoastSVX 08-27-2007 10:58 AM

I love this idea and can't wait to see how it turns out.

But what's this about re-routing the exhaust tips?!? To where? How? I've always been intrigued by the idea of moving the tips closer to the center with the rear bumper to match as it was on the original prototype SVX. Of course custom exhaust is easy, having a new rear bumper made is the hard part.

http://nwsvx.com/Pictures/silver009.jpg

It's Just Eric 08-27-2007 12:51 PM

....I had that idea a little while back, and it's funny you mention it, because I was going to test an idea on one of my spares.
From what I hear, the red tail light film could be hard to go around the corner with the amber. It's a compound curve too...all the better. Now..I dont know how thin the film is, but Id imagine there would be a slight edge where it meets the part that stays red. My revised idea, as of like 3 am when I was attempting to sleep, is to tint it from the inside

Either way, a red out would look great.

RSVX 08-27-2007 01:09 PM

I have always prefered the Amber, to the solid red.

svxcess 08-27-2007 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by It's Just Eric
....I had that idea a little while back, and it's funny you mention it, because I was going to test an idea on one of my spares.
From what I hear, the red tail light film could be hard to go around the corner with the amber. It's a compound curve too...all the better. Now..I don't know how thin the film is, but Id imagine there would be a slight edge where it meets the part that stays red. My revised idea, as of like 3am when I was attempting to sleep, is to tint it from the inside

Either way, a red out would look great.

Using a low temperature heat gun during application allows stretching in multiple directions so that even extreme compound curves are not a problem. The same with window tints on the SVX.

mohrds 08-28-2007 10:07 AM

About 5 years ago, I talked to a guy at a vacuum forming plastic company about making solid red, clear, or smoke replacement tailights. It wouldn't be difficult, just expensive. He was saying a prototype will be $1K and I decided the stock design was just fine :D

I'm excited to see what you can do with your approach. Its sounds a little more feasible than my idea.

Another idea I had was filling the whole backend (side lights, taillights and center light) with full spectrum LEDs. You could then control what color the turn signals were, have them be sequential, have the entire bar light up, or even post messages to the tailgaters behind you :woo:

Then I estimated the price and I decided that it was an idea better suited to someone else :)

Doug

It's Just Eric 08-28-2007 01:11 PM

Well, I ordered some red tail light film, so Ill see if that optoin gets the desired results. If not, Ill pop a spare in the oven and have a go at plan B

subru92svx 08-28-2007 02:27 PM

Hey, this was one of the first mods I did to my car when I got it 4 years ago. I think its looks awesome. I did everything red turn signals and white reverse lights. The turn signals still flash amber, but my reverse lights light up red. I also took apart the center tail light piece and took out the thin sheet of plastic that said Subaru svx on it and smoked out my led tail light in the trunk lid. I think it looks much cleaner since I prefer no decals and you can barely notice the led trunk lid light until I hit my brakes. I get people asking all the time at gas stations and such what kind of car it is. I get a kick out of it everytime. Earl I'm suprised you didn't notice my taillights when I attention your last maintence meet. I remember someone was asking me about them and how I did it, but I can't remember who it was.

It's Just Eric 08-28-2007 03:24 PM

:pics:
I like the idea of the third brake lights being smoked out...especially on my black car. then again, I might be getting a super awesome light suspender, and Ill have to do a third brake light delete anyway. Ill be keeping the reverse lights though....Kinda need them

WestCoastSVX 08-30-2007 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by subru92svx
Hey, this was one of the first mods I did to my car when I got it 4 years ago. I think its looks awesome. I did everything red turn signals and white reverse lights. The turn signals still flash amber, but my reverse lights light up red. I also took apart the center tail light piece and took out the thin sheet of plastic that said Subaru svx on it and smoked out my led tail light in the trunk lid. I think it looks much cleaner since I prefer no decals and you can barely notice the led trunk lid light until I hit my brakes. I get people asking all the time at gas stations and such what kind of car it is. I get a kick out of it everytime. Earl I'm suprised you didn't notice my taillights when I attention your last maintence meet. I remember someone was asking me about them and how I did it, but I can't remember who it was.

That was me! :D

Your car looks really clean, I still look at all the pictures I took of the lights to try and figure if I can do it myself. I've being wanting to do something with the rear lights for years - everything from LEDs, to smoking them, removing logos, etc. I even have a spare set of all 5 light pieces on hand ready to go. But so far, no go. :o

subru92svx 08-30-2007 10:57 AM

Hey Troy, Thanks for the compliment on my car :D. I remembered someone at Earls last meet was asking me about them, but I just couldn't remember who. Let me know if you want my secrets for doing the tail light mod. I'm always willing to share. I have also thought about smoking out all the tail lights, but I guess that will have to wait for my next SVX. Too bad some company doesnt make smoke tail light covers or something like they do for all the mustangs, camaros, etc.