The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   auto seatbelt issues (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3288)

EverclearAtMSU 03-24-2002 02:50 PM

auto seatbelt issues

Here's what's going on:

When I turn my car off and open the door, the auto seatbelt thing just stays there. But, when I turn the car on, it works. Any thoughts on this?

I was thinking a relay somewhere may have gone bad. But I dont know where the relays are in this car yet :confused:

svxistentialist 03-24-2002 03:30 PM

Automatic trouble

Everclear,

I don't have this type of belt, but the manual indicates the control unit for the auto shoulder belt is under the rear window shelf, approx in the centre. It seems to be a flat rectangular box facing fore-aft, with a wiring loom into each end.

This contains both of the relays, L1 and L2. Your problem might also be simpler than this, there is a limit switch at each end of the travel of the guide. If either of these was loose, bad earth, the signal to switch relays, and so to change direction, might be confused. Worth your while checking these are tight and working.

After that, check your control box.

Hope this helps

Joe:)

EverclearAtMSU 03-24-2002 06:17 PM

Re: Automatic trouble

well, the problem seams to have fixed it's self! it now works fine :eek:

thank you subaru gods :)

ensteele 03-24-2002 07:13 PM

I seem to have a simular problem. If I open the door when the car is still runing, the belt travels forward. If I turn off the key, it usually does not move unless I turn the key back on. It never has a problem traveling to the back position. I might check these switches myself, seems to have the problem at the one position only (back).

svxistentialist 03-25-2002 03:23 PM

Re: Re: Automatic fix

Quote:

Originally posted by EverclearAtMSU
well, the problem seams to have fixed it's self! it now works fine :eek:

thank you subaru gods :)

Glad your problem went away everclear. Wish we could troubleshoot the trannies and the rear bearings this easy!

Don't forget, if you have to do a repair on the belt in the future to only use genyoowine Subaru parts, none of that upgrade or modified tosh!!

Joe:D :D :D

EverclearAtMSU 03-25-2002 05:38 PM

Re: Re: Re: Automatic fix

Quote:

Originally posted by svxistentialist

Glad your problem went away everclear. Wish we could troubleshoot the trannies and the rear bearings this easy!

Don't forget, if you have to do a repair on the belt in the future to only use genyoowine Subaru parts, none of that upgrade or modified tosh!!

Joe:D :D :D

of course, only the subbie goodness :p

I'm back on good terms w/ my uncle, hense I get access to his junk yards. I hope he's got a SVX somewhere in there! Free subie stuff :D FYI, were putting his junk yards online, hense place an order and have a semi used, but working, part at your door in a few days for a fraction of the cost :) any of you guys have an idea for a domain name?

svxistentialist 03-25-2002 06:01 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Automatic fix

Quote:

Originally posted by EverclearAtMSU

any of you guys have an idea for a domain name?

Part-ners.com??

Earthworm 03-31-2002 11:33 AM

My auto seatbelt will not work sometimes (1 in 20). What I've noticed happening is that the belt is stuck in the locked position. I just give it a little push (outward, not upward) and it works fine.

curlykicker 06-06-2002 03:58 AM

Quote:

When I turn my car off and open the door, the auto seatbelt thing just stays there. But, when I turn the car on, it works. Any thoughts on this?
I'm also having this frustrating problem. The belt retracks forward only when the key is in the ON position or if the car's running. If I turn off the car and take the key out, the seatbelt might retrack but only after a random amount of time. Otherwise it's working correctly all other times.

Any advice?

CUrly

svx_commuter 06-06-2002 05:15 AM

I don't really know but I guess the belt could be turned off inthe locked position and then just use the belt manually. That would solve the decapation problem.

ensteele 06-06-2002 11:32 AM

I am having the same problem. I am tring to check the connections, and lube the track as well as some other things. If anyone figures this out, please post. I have just gotten used to opening the door before I shut off the ignition. If I forget, I have to pick my head up off of the ground. Sooner or later I may learn, or get it fixed.:rolleyes:

subymtnguy 06-06-2002 09:31 PM

auto seatbelts.....

Don't you just hate em'?......

curlykicker 06-06-2002 11:19 PM

Yeah but the ones in the Volkswagons were the worst. Remember those? When you opened the door, the whole thing would stretch out.

BLKSVX92 06-06-2002 11:52 PM

My driver side belt has been doing the same thing. When the car is running it opens fine, however when the car is shut off sometimes it opens like it should, other times it is delays maybe 5-10 seconds and then opens fine. I have have noticed depending on the humidity the belt seems to wait longer.

svx_commuter 06-07-2002 05:07 AM

You know? I am really glad this thread got started:) My life with the shoulder belt has gotten a lot better. I unclip the shoulder belt before I get out of the car:) I put on the lap belt and the shoulder belt when I get in the car. This great :) Now I don't have to wait for the shoulder belt to get out of the way before I get out of the car.